The Art of the Score Podcast Thread

Faleel

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I finished the episode this morning and it's really, really good stuff.

IF the expanded Potters do start releasing this week, this was the perfect way to get excited for them :).  And if not, it was still a great episode of discussing one of my favorite John Williams scores, so I win either way.

I wonder do the guys have some insider knowledge through their live to picture conducting of an upcoming release and have timed their POA episode accordingly. If not, and POA is announced soon, it would be a big coincidence. 

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I finished the episode this morning and it's really, really good stuff.

IF the expanded Potters do start releasing this week, this was the perfect way to get excited for them :).  And if not, it was still a great episode of discussing one of my favorite John Williams scores, so I win either way.

I am just listening to this now. Great stuff. :) 

For a decade now LLL has revealed their final batch of the year on Black Friday.

However, it's just information.  You can't actually order them or hear any samples until the following Tuesday.

The only exception to this is some European retailers choose to put the titles up for pre-order anyway, after LLL's announcement.  Technically, they are not supposed to do this (all the American retailers wait until they are live on LLL's own site first).  Regardless, this year LLL has indicated that the BF titles will be sold exclusively through their website until some time in early 2019.  So if you do pre-order from a European retailer, you'll be waiting a while to get them.

Just now, Richard Penna said:

Do we order on Friday? i thought this was just the reveal, with ordering later on?

Anyway... who cares. A clean unreleased cue. Nothing else matters right now :P

Ordering date is four days later, isn't it?

I assume, during the sound mix, the score is assigned its own track/layer in the mix which is designated the "music" track (in stereo, presumably).

It's possible that occasionally, during surround sound heavy sequences (where the sound guys really want to surround the audience with SFX), that sound effects get added to every track in the mix, even to this music layer.

And when an isolated score is requested from a sound mix, the sound guys merely hit the export button on the music track (resulting in anomalies like this coming through in their export).

Just now, Faleel J.M. said:

I dunno,  they kinda sound like overlays of dissonant string effects.

Even their version of The Dementors Converge has sound effects though. Definitely not musical.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I assume, during the sound mix, the score is assigned its own track/layer in the mix which is designated the "music" track (in stereo, presumably).

It's possible that occasionally, during surround sound heavy sequences (where the sound guys really want to surround the audience with SFX), that sound effects get added to every track in the mix, even to this music layer.

And when an isolated score is requested from a sound mix, the sound guys merely hit the export button on the music track (resulting in anomalies like this coming through in their export).

That might be it, except that POA has an extremely undynamic sound mix. The rear channels are hardly used.

• 2 weeks later...