• Jerry Goldsmith
    • John Barry
    • John Powell
    • John Williams
    • Maurice Jarre
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Miklós Rósza
    • Thomas Newman
    • Someone else (Patrick Doyle, Max Steiner, Leonard Rosenman, Luis Bacalov, ...)

Who is the film composer that you consider your personal favourite?

I know this is JWFan, but maybe a substantial amount of this website's users are fans of John Williams and still prefer someone else...

There are so many specificly specific polls created in this forum, but now it's time for one of the most basic surveys.

My response is going to be one that answers the question, 'who is your favourite film composer other than Williams?'. Honestly, still Williams. I can't really pick another. I believe there is a Top 5 Thread like this though @Brundlefly.

14 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

My response is going to be one that answers the question, 'who is your favourite film composer other than Williams?'. Honestly, still Williams. I can't really pick another. I believe there is a Top 5 Thread like this though @Brundlefly.

I'll take a Brundlefly thread over a Josh500 thread, though.  Of the options given, my answer would probably be either Goldsmith or Newman these days.

Yes, as others have said, I think a better question at a place like this would be "who is your favourite film composer after Williams". Then again, it's not a prerequisite to be a member here and have JW as your number 1. Perhaps there are a few that don't.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Then again, it's not a prerequisite to be a member here and have JW as your number 1. Perhaps there are a few that don't.

That's exactly what I'm asking for.

I myself voted Goldsmith. Meanwhile I can say that. For a long time it was Williams (since I was 12 years old), but my admiration for Goldsmith increased gradually (as it usually does) and now I'm sure that I prefer him over Williams.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Btw, JW is not my favourite film composer. He is my favourite composer of any music. Period!

JW and JG are also my favourite composers of any music.

Any answers other than John Williams are wrong. Anyone who says zimmer or giacchino must disembowel themselves publicly. 

54 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Any answers other than John Williams are wrong. Anyone who says zimmer or giacchino must disembowel themselves publicly. 

I'm not much of a Williams fan. I'm familiar with his music as is everyone, but a "fan" of it? Not really, no.

I don't care one bit for Giacchino at all, and Zimmer...Batman Begins, Crimson Tide, Simpsons Movie...that's about it. 

Any other answers are wrong...except no one has to recognize that complete lack of authority on a subjective topic. 

1 minute ago, John said:

Can the results of the poll be set to "public"? I would like to see who voted for Zimmer.

Are you looking for people who are like-minded?

5 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I'm not much of a Williams fan. I'm familiar with his music as is everyone, but a "fan" of it? Not really, no.

I don't care one bit for Giacchino at all, and Zimmer...Batman Begins, Crimson Tide, Simpsons Movie...that's about it. 

Any other answers are wrong...except no one has to recognize that complete lack of authority on a subjective topic. 

Why are you here?

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Are you looking for people who are like-minded?

Yes. I mean... maybe... you're assuming an awful lot...

Oh man.

36 minutes ago, NL197 said:

This is JW Fan. I believe you are looking for JW Acknowledger.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

The thread says "composer", singular.

So...choose, but choose wisely.

Don't wait for the translation, answer me, now!

Read the thread. I already decided ... and I did wisely.

Quelle surprise! John Williams has only got 63%! With a few FSM members signing in here, it would drop to about 40%. Scandaleux!

22 hours ago, Richard said:

So, why did you change lanes?

Do you know the thread "John Williams' Darkness"? There, one member has explained the genius of Jerry Goldsmith by means of the example "Lost Ship/Prepare the Ship" which is how he mixes several, partly contradictory moods to get a multilayered emotional effect. His dicreet and conscientious approach is astonishing. John  Williams is a more classical composer and he cares more about the music itself. They both manage to reach the perfect balance between serving the film appropriately and creating great music, however, they focus differently on these aspects. In regards to the music in relation to the film, John Williams is only exceeded by Jerry Goldsmith. It is possible that I will change back to the Williams front at any time, but it's quite clear that my favourite composer will remain either one of them or both.

d055493cff8dfa32a9b1068f4eef88e6.jpg

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Quelle surprise! John Williams has only got 63%! With a few FSM members signing in here, it would drop to about 40%. Scandaleux!

Do you know the thread "John Williams' Darkness"? There, one member has explained the genius of Jerry Goldsmith and how he mixes several, partly contradictory moods to get a multilayered emotional effect by means of the example "Lost Ship/Prepare the Ship". His dicreet and conscientious approach is astonishing. John  Williams is a more classical composer and more about the music itself. They both manage to reach the perfect balance between serving the film appropriately and creating great music, however, they focus differently on these aspects. In regards of the music in relation to the film, John Williams music is only exceeded by Jerry Goldsmith. It is possible that I will change back to the Williams front at any time, but it's quite clear that my favourite composer will remain either one of them or both.

It's a good point. Goldsmith was often more 'organic' in relation to the film, while Williams is  the 'setpiece' man who composes these lavish, musically "logical" scores that are often symphonies in and of themselves (if presented properly). His music more often stands up and says "Here I am!". That's probably why I gravitate more towards Williams as far as soundtracks are concerned.

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's a good point. Goldsmith was often more 'organic' in relation to the film, while Williams is  the 'setpiece' man who composes these lavish, musically "logical" scores that are often symphonies in and of themselves (if presented properly). His music more often stands up and says "Here I am!". That's probably why I gravitate more towards Williams as far as soundtracks are concerned.

Goldsmith also needed the imagery of a film to get inspired and to compose innovative music. That's why his oeuvre is mainly limited to scores, because unlike John Williams he hasn't done much outside the film world.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:53 PM, Koray Savas said:

Morricone > Williams

Not in any universe. In fact Morricone isn't in John's league. If John is-10, JG is 9.5. Horner 9, Morricone maybe 7 but more like 6.5.

I think what makes John Williams the most awesomest composer ever is that he does all his own orchestrations and he writes all the parts and he plays all the instruments because he is the most completist and bestest ever. 

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Not in any universe. In fact Morricone isn't in John's league. If John is-10, JG is 9.5. Horner 9, Morricone maybe 7 but more like 6.5.

Morricone is better than Horner. He is technically one of the old masters. But since they tend to repeat themselves, you know them good enough, when you have 15 albums of them.

Ole spaghetti western man never wrote anything as good as Titanic, or TWOK. His only Oscar win was a campaign to make sure he was properly honored but he was undeserving that year. Hr should have won earler in his career for his better works.

6 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Ole spaghetti western man never wrote anything as good as Titanic, or TWOK. His only Oscar win was a campaign to make sure he was properly honored but he was undeserving that year. Hr should have won earler in his career for his better works.

Every composer has written something better than Titanic. It's James Horner's Inception.

• 6 months later...