Films you wish were scored by Williams

tmarps

SUPERMAN II

HP 4 - 8

THE COLOR PURPLE

READY PLAYER ONE

QUINTET

LOST IN SPACE

That proposed Peter Pan musical, with Michael Jackson (...or, maybe not...:unsure:)

A JW-scored POLTERGEIST would have been interesting, but I'm more than happy with what we have.

Ditto, HEAVEN AND EARTH.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

SUPERMAN II

HP 4 - 8

THE COLOR PURPLE

READY PLAYER ONE

QUINTET

LOST IN SPACE

That proposed Peter Pan musical, with Michael Jackson (...or, maybe not...:unsure:)

A JW-scored POLTERGEIST would have been interesting, but I'm more than happy with what we have.

Ditto, HEAVEN AND EARTH.

Any further collaboration between Williams and Altman would have been great.

John Williams is not that much of an issue.

Jerry Goldsmith should have done a lot of scores instead of James Horner, Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer:

Gladiator

Batman

Batman Returns

Titanic

Hannibal

The Fugitive

I would like to keep Howard Shore's LOTR scores in the films but I wish Williams would've actually written the soundtrack albums!

I would have loved a Goldsmith HP score after Williams departure from the series, but that wouldn’t have been possible anyway. :(

Aside from HP, I’m not too disappointed with Williams known missed opportunities in regards to film scores.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Jerry Goldsmith should have done a lot of scores instead of James Horner, Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer:

Gladiator

Batman

Batman Returns

Titanic

Hannibal

The Fugitive

JG instead of DE on Batman or Batman Returns? Absolutely not. Never. Those two scores are perfect. 

My vote is Ready Player One. I really wish JW could have done it. I saw the film twice and both times tried to get into AS’s score, but it wasn’t happening.

Part of me wishes Williams was scoring the Jurassic World trilogy and Giacchino was doing New Stars Wars. And then Williams comes in at the last minute to replace Alexandre Desplat for Rogue One!

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I would like to keep Howard Shore's LOTR scores in the films but I wish Williams would've actually written the soundtrack albums.

I love Shore's scores, probably more than anything Williams would have done for the films had the project landed on him; but I do wonder what he would have done.

I know Horner was approached for the project before Shore, but in that case I have a strong sense of what that would have been like. I would have probably enjoyed it very much, but it wouldn't be as unique as The Lord of the Rings ended up being.

The thread title should be "Films you wish were scored by Williams."  As currently stated, it means we are ranking our wishes that music currently heard in such films was written by Williams. 

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

The thread title should be "Films you wish were scored by Williams."  As currently stated, it means we are ranking our wishes that music currently heard in such films was written by Williams. 

Great idea! Altered the title of the thread!

Avatar would have been an interesting one? 

2 minutes ago, hornist said:

Definitely the Potters from 4 --> would have been wasted talent but the Color Purple would have been nice by Johnny

H4rry Potter had potential to make for a great Williams score.  A theme for the Triwizard Tournament and/or the individual three tasks, some ballroom music for the Triwizard dance, elegy material for the end of the movie.  

Order of the Phoenix and The Half Blood Piss far less so. 

I have to say that I really love Desplat's HP 7.1, especially the bittersweet pieces like Farewell To Dobby, Godric's Hollow Graveyard, My Love is Always Here.

I also would never trade in Thomas Newman's Americana piano theme for Bridge Of Spies (Homecoming).

3 hours ago, Iron_Giant said:

JG instead of DE on Batman or Batman Returns? Absolutely not. Never. Those two scores are perfect. 

They're a musical mess without much structure, they don't reach the level of dramatic they want and the movies are overscored.

Goldsmith's The Shadow was inspired from Elfman's Batman, but he brought it to perfection without the flaws of the original.

20 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

They're a musical mess without much structure, they don't reach the level of dramatic they want and the movies are overscored.

Goldsmith's The Shadow was inspired from Elfman's Batman, but he brought it to perfection without the flaws of the original.

Wrong.

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I doubt Williams would have been very inspired by the film.  The chance to work with Spielberg really made Silvestri bring his A-game.  

I dunno, sounded pretty bland to me, especially with the film

At least we would have gotten an 80's style score from Williams with lots of themes, brass and fanfares

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

I dunno, sounded pretty bland to me, especially with the film

At least we would have gotten an 80's style score from Williams with lots of themes, brass and fanfares

Wrong.  Silvestri's score is great.  

7 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Titanic? I'm so glad he didn't score that one.

You said it! Because you know how in the early parts of the film, were it scored by Williams, we would have gotten this:

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

lots of[...]brass and fanfares

...which would have been all wrong for Titanic.

And I don't want to hear anyone even mention Braveheart in regards to this thread!;)

All the rest of the Harry Potters and Bridge of Spies. I like Newman's score to Bridge of Spies, it works well in the film and overall the film is spotted very well. But I'd love to hear JW's take on the film, especially after how well The Post turned out.