The Official David Cronenberg Thread

Brundlefly

David Cronenberg isn't one of the most popular director's, but he is one of the best. The quality of his work has constantly been on an exceptionally high level for decades now. I cannot think of anyone else who has done this - not even Scorsese. Thus he deserves an own thread.

What do you think of Cronenberg?

What are your favourite Cronenberg movies?

What do you think of the fact that he is having a hard time financing his movies?

My evaluation:

Videodrome - 3,5 stars

The Dead Zone - 4 stars

The Fly - 5 stars

Dead Ringers - 5 stars

Naked Lunch - 4,5 stars

M Butterfly - 5 stars

Crash - 4 stars

eXistenZ - 3,5 stars

Spider - 5 stars

A History of Violence - 4,5 stars

Eastern Promises - 5 stars

A Dangerous Method - 4,5 stars

Cosmopolis - 4,5 stars

Maps to the Stars - 3,5 stars

A very on/off relationship to him as a director, but he almost always delivers intriguing material.

I also don't care for 95% of Shore's Cronenberg scores. Droney stuff, and one of the reasons why I disliked Shore so much up untill LOTR.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

@Brundlefly

No love for RABID, SHIVERS, THE BROOD, SCANNERS?

He started with usual horror films, but Videodrome was the point, where he became the genius that we all know today.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

A very on/off relationship to him as a director, but he almost always delivers intriguing material.

I also don't care for 95% of Shore's Cronenberg scores. Droney stuff, and one of the reasons why I disliked Shore so much up untill LOTR.

Droney stuff? The Cronenberg-Shore collaboration has a divers and great output. Unlike Danny Elfman and James Horner, Howard Shore has always been a consistently good and structured composer. In the Cronenberg catalogue he's always delivered fresh ideas.

I was introduced to his filmography via the AFI special many years ago, and that's how I discovered Naked Lunch (still my favorite of his). The Dead Zone is his most accessible film, imo.

From the clips I've seen, Crash seems profoundly erotic and disturbing at the same time, therefore I'm waiting for the right time to see it from start to finish, otherwise I feel it would be an overwhelming experience; it's one of those movies that "gets you in the mood". Spider is also really good, and it contains one of Ralph Fiennes' best performances, although I haven't rewatched it since it first came out. Still haven't seen Maps to the Stars

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

He started with usual horror films, but Videodrome was the point, where he became the genius that we all know today.

Droney stuff? The Cronenberg-Shore collaboration has a divers and great output. Unlike Danny Elfman and James Horner, Howard Shore has always been a consistently good and structured composer. In the Cronenberg catalogue he's always delivered fresh ideas.

I always hated most of those scores. There are exceptions, though. MAP TO THE STARS, for example, has become one of my favourite Shores in general.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

I always hated most of those scores. There are exceptions, though. MAP TO THE STARS, for example, has become one of my favourite Shores in general.

Just think of Naked Lunch, Crash, M Butterfly, Eastern Promises and especially The Fly!

None of those do much for me, I'm afraid, although EASTERN PROMISES has some....well, promise. It's been ages since I listened to THE FLY, so I might give it another shot.