R.I.P. Milos Forman

Wow, sad unexpected news. In addition to Amadeus, and Cuckoo's Nest, I saw Hair for the first time only a month ago. What a strange impressive counter-culture musical that film is. I've also been meaning to see Ragtime for some time, but haven't gotten around to it yet (that'll change soon, hopefully). Forman was a superb filmmaker.

I misunderstood ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST for many years. It's only after I began to work with people with mental health issues, that I truly appreciated the film.

AMADEUS is a true classic. I've always loved the bit where (the mother-in-law, I think) repeats the word "selfish", but her voice goes up in pitch, sequeing to a musical scene. Very funny.

First of all, where did THE RIGHT STUFF come from? As good great a film as it is, how can somebody mix-up Forman, with Kauffman? :lol:

Right, to business:

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What didn't you understand about Cuckoo's Nest?

I guess that I fundamentally misunderstood the character of McMurphy, and his reason for being there. That is an error that I have, happily, corrected.

I have posted before that Nurse Ratchet is among the most evil of all creations, in literature - in art, and it's simply not good enough to say that she did what she did, for the patients' own good. She was a monster, but like all monsters, she believed that there was some kind of therapeutic value, in what she did. Then she came up against a kind of saviour, someone who turned her view of "nursing" upside down, and she didn't like it...

What I take away now, from the film, is a plea that those in the hospitals, are, first and foremost, human beings, and not numbers, nor pieces of meat, nor automatons to be controlled.

I hope that that answers your question, Steef?

7 hours ago, Richard said:

First of all, where did THE RIGHT STUFF come from? As good great a film as it is, how can somebody mix-up Forman, with Kauffman? :lol:

My post was my simply stating the fact that I like both movies and they are both in my top 10 list.  It's your fault if you made any other association.  :P