How big is John Williams in Japan?

King Mark

Just wondering. He had a Japanese fan club  he even composed a theme for

And there's a ton of JW compilations with Japanese orchestras...

JW also conducted concerts a few times there too..

I got Williams’ autograph after a concert in ‘99. I remember there was a woman in front me who had flown in from Japan to see him. She was in tears and she gave him a gift. She had him sign some sheet music or scores or something like that.  I don’t know how big he is in Japan but she sure was a passionate fan.

When I was in Japan last year, I went to quite a few record stores, and saw a big display of just John Williams CDs, plus the Spielberg/Williams III CD (which was then newly released) at a listening station - I posted pics of these in another thread. I also saw a ton of Star Wars merch everywhere, and a ton of people wearing Star Wars t-shirts, so I'm sure those scores at least are appreciated much like they are in the US and elsewhere.

Generally, there's a huge appetite in Japan for both local and international pop culture, including American music, classical music, Hollywood, etc. so it makes sense that Williams has a fan club, exclusive recordings, and such. The scale of this pop cultural appreciation kind of has to be seen to be believed. Some artists do enjoy more popularity in Japan than in their home countries, and lots of older albums get Japan-exclusive remasters and rereleases. This is true across many different genres, but very much includes classical and film music.

I think it's safe to say he's even more popular in Japan than in most other parts of the world.

Japan and China's economy are the two biggest in the world, and the biggest it's ever been in history. There's a huge appetite both in China and Japan for all sorts of art, consumer products, entertainment etc. from all over the world (and not just John Williams related stuff).

Meanwhile the US economy, based on endless nonsense wars and out-of-control spending and debt, is sinking fast. A third of Americans are on some sort of social benefits like food stamps. In this kind of toxic atmosphere, fewer and fewer Americans are interested in (or can afford) art, consumer products, entertainment, etc.

"Big in Japan" is an expression for a reason. Lots of artists who perhaps didn't succeed in their own country or in the western world, have become huge hits in Japan. Of course, Williams is big all over the place.

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

The best sounding version of the E.T. OST is the Japanese Audiophile one. Jaws also got a Japanese Quadrophonic release over there.

Just now, Stefancos said:

The best sounding version of the E.T. OST is the Japanese Audiophile one. Jaws also got a Japanese Quadrophonic release over there.

Do you have these?

Are these still available?

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I have the CD release that use the same masters as the Japanese Audiophile LP release yes. 

Where did you get this? Online? Is this still available? 

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Where did you get this? Online? Is this still available? 

It pops up on eBay every now and then. 

2 hours ago, Woj said:

For the top one, why is everything in English but for The Last Jedi in Asian gibberish? 

Racism!

22 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I don't know how they do it but Japan always has to best audiophile remasters. It's like they have better ears.

High Resolution music has been a big deal in Japan for the past few years. Maybe that's why.

Fewer and fewer people buy the ipods and other cheap mp3 players. Those who can afford it buy the High Resolution digital music players, from Sony, Astell & Kern, Onkyo, etc.

The difference in sound quality is noticeable and (for audiophiles, at least) jaw-dropping.

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't know how they do it but Japan always has to best audiophile remasters. It's like they have better ears.

It's a known fact that for remasters of classical music the Japanese branches don't always work with the best available master material. I don't know if it's because of laziness, economy, or if the western branches are holding back. I once read an article suggesting the latter.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I don't think this is conscious racism. It's just ignorance and stupidity. 

No, it was a deliberately racist joke that amused me before turning in. 

19 minutes ago, Woj said:

No, it was a deliberately racist joke that amused me before turning in. 

Well, not everybody is dumb enough to boast about being a racist. Congrats! 😂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 12:50 AM, King Mark said:

What is the piece he composed for the fan club?

On 4/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, Sharky said:

Does anyone have that photo of Williams sporting Heartwood in his pants?

Asking for a friend.

you mean this?

johnmasayo.jpg