Mahler 5 "Adagietto" reference in SCHINDLER'S LIST?

Breadstick Basilisk

I just watched SCHINDLER'S LIST for the first time today, and couldn't help but notice the similarity between the opening of the "Immolation" track and the opening of the "Adagietto" from Mahler's 5th. Has anyone else noticed this? Same key, too. Keep in mind that the "Adagietto" was written as a love-letter for Mahler's wife: Alma Schindler. Clever reference on Williams' part?

11 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I honestly don't see the reference. I think it's just a coincidence.

I see what he's talking about. The first few seconds are almost, eerily exactly the same. However, I also do believe that this is just coincidence.... It's not like there's a thematic connection or reference. 

21 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Well, it was released the year I was born. So I wasn’t exactly in a position to see it when it came out.

Ah, gotcha.

And what's your first impression of the movie/score?

11 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

I just watched SCHINDLER'S LIST for the first time today, and couldn't help but notice the similarity between the opening of the "Immolation" track and the opening of the "Adagietto" from Mahler's 5th. Has anyone else noticed this? Same key, too. Keep in mind that the "Adagietto" was written as a love-letter for Mahler's wife: Alma Schindler. Clever reference on Williams' part?

I also hear some similarities. But more than a sort of reference to Mahler's wife's surname (which would feel out of place), I think it's more likely that Williams made some allusions to Mahler himself, since he was a Jew. Also, the main theme, notoriously, has some resemblance with a theme from Mahler's Eighth. In general, Mahler has a rather strong influence on Williams, as well as on other film composers (such as Morricone).