Does JW receive more adulation than other public figures?

Bayesian

I was musing just now about this. Maybe it’s just confirmation bias on my part, but if I think about the number of times that I’ve seen a tweet or quote about how amazing or life-altering it was to be in the same space as JW (whether as performer, audience member, engineer, conductor, director, etc.), I cannot think of anyone else today who commands that kind of gushing ardor. So is it just me or does JW really have that effect on people? (And if he does, I need to find a way to experience it for myself!)

No matter how high your highs, or how low your lows, there's a billion people in China who don't give a damn.

JW is loved and respected by a (very) small part of the Earth's population. The rest just couldn't give a monkey's. It's better, this way. 

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Yes he does! He needs to be destroyed!

John Williams is too good to be true! There has to be some catch here! We'll find out what this "Nice guy angel baby Williams" is all about.

9 hours ago, Iron_Giant said:

Maybe it’s just confirmation bias on my part, 

This. You're 100% correct here.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the world population doesn't know who John Willaims even is.

I'm sure it's more than that (who do know who he is), but yes, this feels like typical confirmation bias.

He probably does get more praise simply as he's the Star Wars composer, and most people don't even realise there's music in films. However, this is similar to things I see all over the web - people looking for evidence that their favourite composer is 'great'.

40 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm sure it's more than that (who do know who he is), 

Maybe. But I'm not so sure.

World population is 7,6 billion, 1% of it is 76 million. You really think over 76 million people worldwide recognize the name John Williams? Most of my friends and colleagues don't even know (or care) who John Williams is. The average person simply doesn't know the name.

Mind you, I'm not talking about people who have heard his music in films, but people who actually knows of John Williams.

This isn't about how many people in the world know who he is - it's about whether he gets more backslapping than other composers. He probably does. Although I think the reason for asking the question in the first place was conformation bias.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

This isn't about how many people in the world know who he is - it's about whether he gets more backslapping than other composers. 

No.

This is a question about whether he gets more backslapping than other public figures.

Among composers, John Williams is undoubtedly a superstar. But not among public figures, which includes politicians, writers, musicians, actors, TV personalities, movie directors, famous CEOs, athletes, models, etc.

48 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

This. You're 100% correct here.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the world population doesn't know who John Willaims even is.

Exactly. And I think 99% is about right. Though many people who have no idea who Williams is can still hum his songs!

Let's face it, Williams has been riding The Eiger Sanction gravy train for decades now. Take away that, and what have you got?

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Jurassic Shark?

That theme is pretty good, but sometimes takes itself too seriously and can lack a sense of humour. Though I admit to liking it anyway, and it has occasional highlights. ;)

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Exactly. And I think 99% is about right. Though many people who have no idea who Williams is can still hum his songs!

Btw, which songs are people humming? We don't wanna grow up? ;)

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

That theme is pretty good, but sometimes takes itself too seriously and can lack a sense of humour. 

Well, Jurassic Park isn't exactly a comedy, by any stretch of the imagination. 

For the few comedic scenes (the brachiosaurus sneezing, Tim following Alan around at the beginning, etc.) JW wrote appropriately comedic cues.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Well, Jurassic Park isn't exactly a comedy, by any stretch of the imagination. 

What are you talking about?! The scene where the tiny dini's eat Newman is hilarious!

And when Newman puts the shaving cream on the pie? Comedy GOLD.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

What are you talking about?! The scene where the tiny dini's eat Newman is hilarious!

And when Newman puts the shaving cream on the pie? Comedy GOLD.

Yeah, the Nedry scenes were hilarious... 😂 

Like him saying, "Thanks, Dad!"

He was like a comedic cartoon villain, almost. Still, Jurassic Park is not a comedy.

22 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

That theme is pretty good, but sometimes takes itself too seriously and can lack a sense of humour. Though I admit to liking it anyway, and it has occasional highlights. ;)

i see what you did there.jpg

Yeah, I see now I misspoke by saying “public figures”. I suppose I was talking about other musicians or composers with a public profile. But I think what really drove this question was my recollecting when JJ Abrams said back in 2015 that working with JW was the greatest thing ever and how he was probably the most talented man on the planet. In contexts like that, does JW receive more praise than other talented prople?

You know what, I think I’m overthinking this question. Let’s just pretend it never got asked in the first place! 🙂

32 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

In contexts like that, does JW receive more praise than other talented prople?

I think most people in the movie or film music business will agree, no current film music composer is more talented, creative, and successful than John Williams. That's why.

Mind that I said MOST. Not ALL.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I don't think that there's one of those mentioned who wouldn't want JW at their dinner party.

Well yes, *if* he can keep the Schindler anecdote to himself. Otherwise, he's out, and no dessert.