Spielberg to direct film adaptation of DC Comics' “Blackhawk”

Alex

9 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

When would this come out? 2021? 2022? He'd be 90!

Not for a while probably. You’re forgetting that JW is immortal!

Did you know Spielberg's favorite superhero movie is James Gunn's Guardians Of The Galaxy?

Why do all the directors copy my taste? Why?! I can't take it any longer!

I don't mind that he makes whatever he fancies doing, but I do find it odd in this instance considering he's been pretty vocal in his disapproval of "four quadrant" movies dominating cinema lately.

20 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed, Lee.

Geez, Louise. Since when did Spielberg become a cinema whore?

Since War of the Worlds?

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I don't mind that he makes whatever he fancies doing, but I do find it odd in this instance considering he's been pretty vocal about his disapproval of "four quadrant" movies dominating cinema lately.

In retrospect we see that was just a strategy to increase his salary for this film.

Guardians of the Galaxy sucks but not as bad as Guardians of the Galaxy 2

The first one was great, one of my favourite MCU movies (which admittedly isn't saying much).  The second one wasn't nearly as much fun and was in fact a big step down.

When I read Blackhawk, my first thought was Americans committing war crimes in Somalia and pretending to be heroes. 😂 

Thankfully, it's not that.

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

When I read Blackhawk, my first thought was Americans committing war crimes in Somalia and pretending to be heroes. 😂 

Would probably make a more interesting film

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

I liked the second Guardians movie more than the first, it was fun!

Same here! The emotional factor made enjoy the sequel far more than the original.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I enjoyed Guardians, it was a 3 star movie. Saw it the one time and never bothered to see the sequel. Should I?

Its chapter (enter number, here) of the MCU saga. You wouldn't want to miss it, and get all discombobulated, would you?

54 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Wait for the sequel: BLACKHAWK DOWN.

Geez, not Spielberg succumbing to the superhero craze too?

I'm sick and tired of superhero movies and TV shows, no matter how 'cutting edge' or 'original' they are. I had hoped Spielberg went after more interesting projects instead, like that Edgar Mortara adaptation.

Disappointed. I also don't believe Williams will score if he's still around. My guess is that, after the next STAR WARS, Williams will focus on concert works and smaller, intimate scores for Spielberg (á la THE POST).

There's still scope for the superhero genre, I think.

They just need to do less of the (a) massive CGI peril-free battles, (b) self-important moodiness, (c) multi-character pileups, and more (a) wit, (b) coherent, intelligent plots, (c) variety.

Parodies or deconstructions of the genre are a plausible route but Hollywood seems to have lost the knack of doing parodies that aren't brain-dead.

Interesting choice of hero.  Can't wait to see what the superhero-hating septuagenarian can do!

The announcement is a good PR boost for DC (their second of the week, after the new Harley Quinn director) when they need it, even if Spielberg eventually (likely) drifts away from the project.