What are the chances of seeing a completely unreleased Williams score?

Thor

NIGHTWATCH in 2011 and PETE'N'TILLIE last year are the only two scores in the last 7 years that have had premiere releases, as far as I know (obviously not counting the actual, new scores in the period).

So I'm curious, to all you guys who know the inner workings of the labels and stuff, what do you think are the chances of another, completely unreleased Williams score coming out in this post-FSM age? Or is it just expansions from here on out?

I have seen the movie, which was so-so. Not very memorable, I gotta say, just your standard drama with a slightly Western touch.

The score... Well, the only thing I remember is the main theme played on the harmonica. The version found on the Spielberg Williams Collaboration CD is probably the best one.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

From the parts of the score I have heard, I've got the impression that the reworked main theme on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration is about all we need.

Sadly Williams agrees with that assessment.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

From the parts of the score I have heard, I've got the impression that the reworked main theme on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration is about all we need.

What do we "need," really?

I'd just like to have the whole score for my collection! This was the first collaboration between Spielberg and Williams, so just for that reason it's special. 

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Sadly Williams agrees with that assessment.

And I respect that. 

Still, one can hope.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I believe complete is sufficient.

Well an expanded edition might include alternates and outtakes, whereas a complete score need not.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I hope to be proven wrong, though. But I do think all music should be assessed based on its quality, and not on who's made it.

Well perhaps not all music.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

Well an expanded edition might include alternates and outtakes, whereas a complete score need not.

Both an expanded edition and a complete edition might include alternates and outtakes, but none of them need to.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Both an expanded edition and a complete edition might include alternates and outtakes, but none of them need to.

True. Just pointing out that they're not synonymous.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you mean?

Well, I think it's appropriate in some circumstances to take into account the person who composed a piece of music when judging its quality, no? 

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well, I think it's appropriate in some circumstances to take into account the person who composed a piece of music when judging its quality, no? 

When it comes to assessing the quality of the music (which of course is subjective), I don't see how it's relevant who made it, except to compare with the composer's earlier works to see if he/she is self-plagiarizing.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

When it comes to assessing the quality of the music (which of course is subjective), I don't see how it's relevant who made it, except to compare with the composer's earlier works to see if he/she is self-plagiarizing.

Well for example I'd judge a merely competent opera written by a 5 year old to be "excellent", whereas the same piece written by Philip Glass I might judge to be disappointing.

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well for example I'd judge a merely competent opera written by a 5 year old to be "excellent", whereas the same piece written by Philip Glass I might judge to be disappointing.

Fair enough. I wouldn't judge "a merely competent opera written by a 5 year old" to be excellent, but I'd say it was impressive for such a young age.

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Fair enough. I wouldn't judge "a merely competent opera written by a 5 year old" to be excellent, but I'd say it was impressive for such a young age.

A bit of advice...if a woman ever asks you if she's beautiful, leave out the age caveat. ;)

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But alas, we're never gonna get it, at least while JW has any say. I have to admit I haven't seen the film nor heard the complete score - maybe it's just very bad?

The film is quite good. The score, however, leaves something to be desired. Except the great main theme, there's a LOT of shuffling percussion. I'm guessing this is why Williams has vetoed a release. He just doesn't see the musical value in much of this.

That being said, I still want a release. It's an important historical record, if nothing else.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Don’t think I’m interested in much pre-Jaws anyway 

That's interesting. At this point in time, and for this particular purpose, I'm only interested in the pre-JAWS stuff.

Exactly! I've got enough post-JAWS stuff, to last me several lifetimes. Since both EARTHQUAKE, and  THE EIGER SANCTION were rerecordings, it could be argued that the scores are unreleased.

My money's on those two, rather than STORY OF A WOMAN, and THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Exactly! I've got enough post-JAWS stuff, to last me several lifetimes. Since both EARTHQUAKE, and  THE EIGER SANCTION were rerecordings, it could be argued that the scores are unreleased.

My money's on those two, rather than STORY OF A WOMAN, and THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS.

The likelihood, or your preference? Surely, a premiere release of STORIA outshines pretty much anything at this point, released or unreleased.

For me, the "holy 3" are STORIA, the symphony and a box of ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Maybe a disaster film box?

That's possible, but there are already a couple of decent "Disaster" comps., out there. Also, it would require Varèse Sarabande, and FSM to work together, and I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

The likelihood, or your preference? Surely, a premiere release of STORIA outshines pretty much anything at this point, released or unreleased.

Agreed, but, in all practicality, Hell will freeze over, before JW allows STORIA...to be released.

Of, course, once he's dead...

At this point, he may well have written "All my completely unreleased scores shall remain in that state as long as Thor is alive!" in his will.