John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

And according to that Powell instagram message the suite should be up on Youtube soon enough as well.

Bought "The Hidden World Suite" on iTunes - Wow. It's fantastic! Really looking forward to the rest of the score now.

Gonna be a long three weeks...

There is something really different about the music, i mean compared to previous two movies.

It seems more mature, more tragic/lament-ing, more religious ( some part reminds me of The Life of Pi)

I listened to the track on youtube and wasn't as impressed as you all seem to be, but I'll hold any real thoughts until I've heard the whole album.

2 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Here is the official YT video:

Excellent stuff. 0:00 to 4:30 has this cool sense of buildup which leads up to a glorious finale, in a style which feels quite different from what I've heard coming from JP before (particularly in terms of instrumentation).

*gazes impatiently at signature*

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

His wife passing away a few years ago may have something to do with that.

Reluctant to speculate much with that stuff but wouldn't be the first time that a profound or traumatic experience has coincided with a change in someone's artistic work.

Yes thats probably it.

I mean its kinda "tragic" that he started the suite not with a cheerful note,

but with Exodus theme ( you will get it once you saw the movie). So i assume it means how he has to really get away  from the great sadness, not to look back, and move on.

Then he continued to the second theme, the love theme. Well i guess one has to find a distraction, and one hell of distraction he has got. He got the hang of it, as if he found a new love, and boy he got more powerful from it

The he concluded with the hidden world theme. For those you have seen it, you know its about a revelation. It's the turning point of the movie.

Its truly something to celebrate and awe at, eventhough you have (or have to) lost someone in the process ( his wife of course).

It took a few listens for me to really "get" the last couple minutes of this piece, but now I can see why you all have been praising it so much. It's absolutely glorious - sounds like something right out of the requiem, with an epic, religious grandeur. 

The bit at 12:42 onwards is becoming a current Powell favourite moment. I'd love to know what's happening on screen.

This is sounding good!

(The song not so much - could they not have used one of Powell's melodies?)

On 1/12/2019 at 4:21 AM, scallenger said:

I really like the suite! Is anything presented in it much different than heard elsewhere in the film score, from those that have seen it?

Not missing anything thematic wise, however I believe this suite was made as a concert piece of sorts, similar to what Williams would've done. Different 'connective tissue' so to speak. 

So now having heard the extended samples, I still feel the same about the score: highly anticipated, but not blow away yet. However, certain tracks I felt like were about to get good right when they cut off, haha, so of course we still haven't really heard anything.

That song though... echoing Richard's remark. Now that I have heard more of it, I may like it even less. Such a downgrade. Even if they weren't going to use one of Powell's themes this time as a basis, couldn't they have come up with something that felt more organically complimentary (such as what they did for the first film)? I can tell that the lyrics themselves seem to fit, but I just don't like how it sounds at all.

56 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

This is an off topic but..

...this is to reassure that Powell is far from retirement. And now we can only wait for the announcement of what his next score will be

Woah! I wonder if that'll be within this year or if he's sticking to the "one movie a year" thing.

15 minutes ago, scallenger said:

So now having heard the extended samples, I still feel the same about the score: highly anticipated, but not blow away yet. However, certain tracks I felt like were about to get good right when they cut off, haha, so of course we still haven't really heard anything.

That song though... echoing Richard's remark. Now that I have heard more of it, I may like it even less. Such a downgrade. Even if they weren't going to use one of Powell's themes this time as a basis, couldn't they have come up with something that felt more organically complimentary (such as what they did for the first film)? I can tell that the lyrics themselves seem to fit, but I just don't like how it sounds at all.

I think it suits the film the same way something like The Last Goodbye does for The Hobbit. Each of the songs has had a connection to the tone of the film - Sticks and Stones sets the tone at the ending of the first film, whilst Where No One Goes really picks right back up from the last film.

This song as I mentioned earlier, is the end credits song. It's not my favorite of the three but it suits the conclusion of the series.

I watched the movie yesterday. IMHO the score is a mix of beautiful new music and fan service to some of his old themes. One moment: BRILLIANT musically. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 1:40 AM, Arpy said:

I think it suits the film the same way something like The Last Goodbye does for The Hobbit. Each of the songs has had a connection to the tone of the film - Sticks and Stones sets the tone at the ending of the first film, whilst Where No One Goes really picks right back up from the last film.

This song as I mentioned earlier, is the end credits song. It's not my favorite of the three but it suits the conclusion of the series.

Truth be told, “Where No One Goes” is the only song of the three I really like, but they’re all fine and suit the films nicely. 

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Screenshot_20190127-093142.png

Karol

Ooooh, so THAT’S what I’m meant to call it (the ‘lost and found’ theme). I recognize the melody when I hear it when listening to 2, but could never place what the theme’s meant to represent. Now it all makes sense!

Same. I've been slowing down the middle part to try to get my head around the strings that start the waltz part. That is fantastic writing.

I'll be able to listen to it in just over 48 hours as it'll appear on Spotify at midnight Thursday.

To give you folks a grasp as to the level of giddiness I'm going through, this thing's basically to me what Episode IX is to you fellers. Or perhaps Return of the Jedi back in the olden days.

Given the emphasis on romance in this film (with Hiccup and Astrid getting married and Toothless finding a mate), I can't wait to hear Astrid's theme again (aka Romantic Flight in the first one, also showed up at least twice on 2's ost).

3 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Given the emphasis on romance in this film (with Hiccup and Astrid getting married and Toothless finding a mate), I can't wait to hear Astrid's theme again (aka Romantic Flight in the first one, also showed up at least twice on 2's ost).

It shows up like once in the film that I could tell.