John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

It's well into Friday in many time zones now, the OST is legally available to listen to in all of them, which of course means it's being bootlegged around the internet as we speak

Just about to go to the pub, so don't have time to write a full review. I didn't notice too many new themes besides the ones in the Suite, but I think this is at least as good as Solo, and I loved Solo. Most of tracks 11-16 contain glorious choral parts, quite reminiscent of Hubris. Love it :)

Wow, the first half of The Hidden World (track 13) is unlike anything I've heard lately!

I think the first track starts off a little slow - certainly not the explosive beginning the first two scores had. But that ending....

On 1/30/2019 at 3:30 PM, PrayodiBA said:

"Furies in Love" score video

Hey, I recognise the bit from 0:28! You can hear it in every single TV ad during Christmas time...

Just finished my first full listen and I'm about to buy it on Amazon. What a wonderful score!

The 'love' theme from HTTYD2 returns a couple of times, and other than that the Berk theme and Test Drive theme appear a few times, but the score is absolutely dominated by the new Furies' love theme an whatever you call the theme in the first part of the suite. The Hidden World theme is actually very sparsely used.

It's littered with partial quotes of themes and counterpoints, and the fact that I was frequently 'peeking' at where a statement might go next speaks to the memorability of Powell's themes. He continues to be an absolute master of memorable long-form themes.

My one complaint: they should've left the song off and replaced it with the suite.

Ah, Valka's theme (which yes does function as a love theme) I thought you were talking the Romantic Flight/Astrid/Astrid and Hiccup love theme

The score is really great no doubt, i think i find it better than HTTYD2 ( in most parts at least)

But i will talk about the good later, but on first listen, i found some bads, and even a surprising one, considering this is a Powell score.

The grimmel/Evil theme is not that good. It is similar to Giacchino's Owen theme in Jurassic Park. 

But the most annoying part is how DISJOINTED this score is in some parts. Armada Battle is badly edited. Stitching one theme to another. Its both frustating and exhausting. Thats because there are little to none smooth transitions to bridge between themes. Its like Powell doesnt give a damn to this track and Powell is really good at narrative.

The hidden world track, its gorgeous from the beginning but when it transitions into the theme, i found the transition a bit off, idk the note or anything. It ruins the experience.

Yes they are all annoying, honestly, and really hamper down the whole experience. But this is still a masterpiece  from Powell

Anyone has similar issues?

24 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

But the most annoying part is how DISJOINTED this score is in some parts. Armada Battle is badly edited. Stitching one theme to another. Its both frustating and exhausting. Thats because there are little to none smooth transitions to bridge between themes. Its like Powell doesnt give a damn to this track and Powell is really good at narrative.

Armada Battle is absolutely all over the place (primarily in the second half), stylistically and thematically. I can imagine the scene is loud, chaotic, jumping around, and so Powell has to make his music jump in the same fashion. It's the weakest of his final battle pieces for this franchise - it doesn't feel like it has a structure at all.

But that's the one weak point of the score for me.

It's the final battle scene, it works well in the film. It's probably why I found listening to the score with the film more rewarding than picking it apart without seeing where the music accompanies the visuals.

Wow what a ending. The last five tracks (not Jonsi's song) are Incredible. 

A good ending to this trilogy. 

23 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Also, to my delight, I heard at least 5-6 reprises of Astrid's theme.

I only heard three. 

Nice summary @PrayodiBA!

I think you've got them pinned down pretty well. 

I'm not sure what's missing from the OST, I seem to remember a few small moments here and there.

This is one of the best scores I've heard in a while, surely one of my favourite Powell scores! Can't wait to get my hands on the CD, I don't think I've fallen in love with a score like this since TFA.

The Village theme is probably my favourite alongside the Furies theme. In fact, Powell chose my favourite three themes for the suite which is reallly cool. Probably explais why Ive played it dozens of times.

This feels rather unique in terms of composer-created hype for a score.