John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

I watched the movie yesterday and loved it. In my opinion it was a perfect ending to the trilogy.

The score in context was even better and the album is a great representation of the whole score, with very few missing tracks. The most significant piece of missing music is a rendition of the Forbidden Friendship Theme and The Alpha's Theme when

Spoiler

Toothless and the Light Fury get captured on the cliffside by Grimmel

right after The Hidden World and before Armada Battle. Other than that the most interesting tracks are all on album. 

BTW, I loved the more silent moments where the music got the be on the front and guide the story like in Third Date or in The Hidden World sequence. Truly magical and a testament of Powell's great skills.

For who is interested in my thoughts, here is my review 

https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/02/how-to-train-your-dragon-the-hidden-world-john-powell/

I really love all the details in this thread about the use of themes during specific scenes. I tried to keep my review spoiler-free though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 5:45 AM, Kasey Kockroach said:

Intriguing choice that the "fate theme" plays during the wedding scene, rather than Astrid's theme (the more obvious choice since it doubles as the love theme).

Isn't that the "Village Hymn" theme?

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Arpy said:

He criticized the score for having too many new themes? There won't be a perfect score for CC, he always has to nitpick.

Unless it’s written by John Williams, of course.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

He also criticized Rogue One for 'unnecessary' themes, but is that really for CC to decide?

'Unnecessary themes'? What the hell?

In any case, if you enjoy the score, CC's opinion is only relevant for pointing out aspects of the score you might have missed..

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Quite.

:music: Third Date

This is my most played new score in quite some time :dance:

Me too. Quite the grower, this one!

• 1 month later...

Chronological score blog has posted a chronological order for HTTYD3:

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2019/05/how-to-train-your-dragon-3-hidden-world.html?m=1

Long story short:

S12 - With Love Comes A Great Waterfall (1:00-End) [Rename to "A Great Waterfall"]
S13 - The Hidden World (5:16)
S12 - With Love Comes A Great Waterfall (:00-1:00) [Rename to "With Loves Comes Loss"]

On 5/30/2019 at 9:44 AM, Faleel J.M. said:

Chronological score blog has posted a chronological order for HTTYD3:

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2019/05/how-to-train-your-dragon-3-hidden-world.html?m=1

Long story short:

S12 - With Love Comes A Great Waterfall (1:00-End) [Rename to "A Great Waterfall"]
S13 - The Hidden World (5:16)
S12 - With Love Comes A Great Waterfall (:00-1:00) [Rename to "With Loves Comes Loss"]

Yes, that was one of the first differences I noticed when listening to the album, however for the sake of listening experience, the tracks combined on the album work so well together!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There aren't that many animated series where the same composer scored 3 entries.  Toy Story (4 by Randy Newman), Madagascar (3 by Hans Zimmer), Ice Age (3 by John Powell), Kung Fu Panda (3 by Zimmer & Powell), Hotel Translyvania (3 by Mark Mothersbaugh)... not sure if there any others

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Kung Fu Panda (3 by Zimmer & Powell)

Powell didn't come back for the third, but since Zimmer was on all three it would count in my book.

But by that same logic, Shrek would count too since Gregson-Williams worked on all three and Powell only on the first.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Zimmer was on all three

On paper, yes, but on KFP 3, I guess Balfe and Paul Mounsey did most of the job (as usual on these DreamWorks toons credited to Zimmer post-Prince of Egypt).

And I really like Randy Newman's Toy Story scores, specially the first two, which were part of my childhood. I could listen to the OSTs and remember each scene from the movies!

• 3 weeks later...