John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

1 hour ago, toothless said:

This score won't be easily forgotten, that's for sure. I had a blast on first listen.

It's a score where I'm really putting the time in to get to know it, identify the themes, etc.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of memorable melodies Powell can come up with.

I think I want Powell to do Episode IX now :)

Lost/Found theme in With Love Comes a Great Waterfall. ❤️

It's interesting how grown-up all the themes from previous film are. They are used quite differently in this score. They seem to be less boisterous and more nostalgic.

Karol

I love the riff from “The Kill Ring” from HTTYD1 thrown in Armada Battle! It’s implemented perfectly and just works as a nice callback. Plus it’s way better orchestrated and mixed here, of course.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:31 AM, PrayodiBA said:

Themes Breakdown

This is great; thanks for doing this. Did Powell ever also release an official list of his themes for the first two films? Has anyone here in the forum taken the time to identify all those themes? Now that the trilogy is over, it would be good to sort out all the appearances of the various themes, amongst the three scores.

I know what all the tunes are for the prior two scores, but have never known them by their official titles. I just go by my own reference (there’s a recurring motif I recall hearing in this one and the first one that I call the “anguish motif”, for lack of a better title).

But there’s probably as many themes as Williams has for a Star Wars trilogy! Difference being of course Powell doesn’t literally title a cue “Hiccup’s Theme” or whatever. 

Just got done listening through the score and whilst a majority of the material I remembered being in the film is there, there's one connective track that would be placed right between The Hidden World and Armada Battle that's missing. It's a small but lovely brass statement of the Hidden World theme. I hope it's on the FYC or something else!

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's interesting how grown-up all the themes from previous film They seem to be less boisterous and more nostalgic.

Grown-up, nostalgic. That’s how I’m feeling listening to this score. For several personal reasons, the score to the httyd trilogy will always be special to me. I’m so happy right now :)

Yeah, like Solo this score sounded like a big mass of headache-inducing craziness on first listen, but then on later listens I'm really enjoying it. Terrific score. :music:

I don't get it, Armada Battle is the only full-fledged action cue here. Maybe you guys are so used to boring Williams stuff that you can't handle anything with actual vigor? 😜 

There's bursts of energy here and there, but the score really waits until that cue to go nuts.

1 hour ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

I don't get it, Armada Battle is the only full-fledged action cue here. Maybe you guys are so used to boring Williams stuff that you can't handle anything with actual vigor? 😜 

There's bursts of energy here and there, but the score really waits until that cue to go nuts.

Well, yes, although even stuff like "Raiders Return" has some pretty wild trumpet stuff near the end. Took a few listens for me to be able to truly enjoy it (although I certainly do now!). High-register brass can sometimes feel kind of grinding before I really "understand" a piece's logic. 

If you say so, chum! Maybe I'm an adrenaline junkie because the louder Powell action music gets, the happier I am to be living in this era of humanity (despite our...issues). Practically every other composer's action music sounds so frail in comparison. 

My current favorite passage is the start of Legend Has It - Cliffside Playtime, with the (fate?) theme developing slowly and deliberately, followed by a reflective and rich version of the village theme. Two of the best ideas in the score for me.

Appreciating people's thematic breakdown. I need more listens now!

Maybe this was posted already:

Powell talks about his music for the trilogy on the BBC Radio 3, yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002c7x

On 2/2/2019 at 10:42 PM, Loert said:

"Battling the Green Death" + "Counter Attack" from HTTYD remains the ultimate action set piece for me, however "Armada Battle" is excellent too. I understand where PrayodiBA is coming from, and I had a similar problem with "Battle of the Bewilderbeast" from HTTYD 2, but I also revised my judgement after some more listens. It can get uncanny, the way Powell injects past themes all over the place, but I've come to get used to it I guess...

By the way, I was creating a playlist across all the HTTYD films today and I have to say, this entire trilogy might not only be Powell's magnum opus, but is a strong competitor for THE magnum opus of the century so far. Is that an exaggeration? Possibly...but from listening to the music, I don't think there's a better musical storyteller living today.

Here's the playlist as it stands currently:

I like having the full fledged "hidden world" theme appear only at the very end. Gives the whole music a truly transcendental finish!

I feel any list without the insane bagpipes from "Stoick confronts Drago" are woefully incomplete.

This may change after seeing the film, but after a couple listens this one is probably ranked 3rd best in the scores. Not that it's bad in any way! It just doesn't feel quite as memorable to me overall, despite some highlights. Oddly enough, I don't think the song is quite as bad now as I once thought, haha. But still my least favorite of those three. I definitely do feel like there are superior orchestrations at play here, but there is nothing that quite sticks with me like the majority of the first score did, and it lacks the extreme energy and even emotion at times that the second score had. It has a different mood overall, which is great for what it is, but not what I was expecting. There was just enough references to the older themes, but I also expected more of those as well. However, I can assume whatever happens in the film may have dictated those choices.

Also, I do echo the person that said the villain's theme sounds like Owen/Blue's theme from Jurassic World. LOL. Not exact, but pretty similiar. I think it works fine in its use. I'm happy to hear that there doesn't seem to be much missing from the album. Powell is really good at making the right choices on his albums and filling the CDs to max capacity! :D Even though there are some nice bits, I have always been content with the albums for the prior Dragon scores, and even Solo.

Weakest?  I think not.  Less extroverted, more precise I would say.  For me, it is the best, but that may be subjective.  But this is an exceptionally strong score, certainly no worse than the other two.

Maybe “weakest” was the wrong language to use. It’s hard to criticize a score that is so good, but I think it has a few shortcomings that put it just a hair behind the other two - the unremarkable villain theme and the somewhat schizophrenic Armada Battle as the things that immediately come to mind.  I’d put them all on the same level.

You do have a point, the villain theme does not jump out, no.  Again, perhaps Powell was purposely being introspective.  I have no qualms with Armada Battle, though.

It might be my favorite of the three, but I’ll need another ten years to fully decide. It’s as fully rounded a listening experience as 2, while as narratively strong as 1. Armada Battle might be the most satisfying of the final battle cues for me since the album largely waits until then to go nuts. It’s mostly romantic beauty until that point.