John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

1 minute ago, Jay said:

OK I listened to the suite here and it's pretty good!  Doesn't cover all the major highlights, but does cover a lot of the NEW material very well.  The choral work is fantastic, which is something that I should have mentioned before.  It's fantastic on the whole album.  One of the things I'm really appreciating about Powell is the way he uses the choir!  He's very good with it!

IIRC correctly, he brought in Eric Whitacre in for some of the choral stuff, and you can hear it IMO.

Not diminishing Powell at all of course!

yup!  The CD book says the choir is the "Eric Whitacre Singers", and Whitacre is listed as the conductor of the choir.

And Gavin Greenaway is listed as conducted of the orchestra.

Oh!  Another thing I learned from the booklet is that the bagpipes in the score are performed by the Red Hot Chili Pipers, which is a band I've seen performed live a few times at the Highland Games.

This is why I love physical releases, these digital albums have no (standard, consistent) way of relaying this information

Just now, Jay said:

yup!  The CD book says the choir is the "Eric Whitacre Singers", and Whitacre is listed as the conductor of the choir.

Oh!  Another thing I learned is that the bagpipes in the score are performed by the Red Hot Chili Pipers, which is a band I've seen performed live a few times at the Highland Games.

Also Edward Ross is listed as the penultimate name under the Tenor section.

Ah, there he is!  I completely missed it when I look at it the first time.  Good eyes!

Another question.  I've never seen the movie, but the CD booklet contains many pictures of Hiccup, and he's beardless in all of them.  Why did he have a beard in this image Powell posted?

image.png

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah, there he is!  I completely missed it when I look at it the first time.  Good eyes!

Another question.  I've never seen the movie, but the CD booklet contains many pictures of Hiccup, and he's beardless in all of them.  Why does he have a beard on the Deluxe Edition cover?

It's sort of a spoiler.

Spoiler

The end of the movie has an epilogue of several years later

I played the 'The Hidden World' track during a car journey back in 2019 and there was a remark from someone who's not even the slightest bit into scores or instrumental music that it was really beautiful.

The second score will always remind me of Scotland because it came out around the time I was planning a trip to Skye. Tracks like Off To Valhalla take on a somewhat remarkable meaning when you're looking at some beautiful countryside.

Whereas the third just has a great adventure feel to it, and is incredibly evocative despite my not having seen the movie. Stuff like this makes me think Powell would be great at a nice medieval sort of film.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh!  Another thing I learned from the booklet is that the bagpipes in the score are performed by the Red Hot Chili Pipers, which is a band I've seen performed live a few times at the Highland Games.

We saw them here in Akron this year. Awesome!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why did he have a beard in 2 but not 3?

He doesn't have a beard in 2 either, at most some minor stubbles.

Sorry, I fixed my post.  I was thinking of the image Powell posted that isn't the actual cover, which I've added to my post above.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

There are times with Williams when I see you guys gushing over something I don't really get (usually his older stuff) but this is one franchise where I'm in awe at how much musical inspiration and sheer thematic detail one composer can achieve.

On the Settling the Score podcast they made the comment about how for people of a certain age "this is their Star Wars". And they sounded a little... Disbelieving? that someone could get that involved with these scores. Well, Star Wars is my Star Wars and these scores are the closest thing I've heard in about as long as I can think of.

17 minutes ago, bored said:

I could be wrong, but I also remember seeing a Twitter/X post showing that the choir was singing actual lyrics in this one too, which if true, again elevates this score to something really special in my eyes.

Yup!

On 19/02/2019 at 4:04 AM, PrayodiBA said:

This is interesting. Bringing more appreciation into the track:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt03uMvl6bN/

On 19/02/2019 at 4:36 AM, Incanus said:

Novam domum, novam domum

novam dona nobis pacem

pacem petimus pacem

domi

domi

(Give us) A new home, a new home

give us a new peace

peace, we seek/ask for peace

at home

at home

I was kind of lukewarm on this one when it came out, my disappointment in the movie probably soured it a bit. I wasn't too impressed by some of the new stuff, especially the Exodus theme, and it almost seems to me like the sound started moving away from HTTYD and towards his other animation scores which I couldn't really get into. I of course loved the obvious highlight tracks but haven't listened to it all that much, and didn't even try after we learned 1 would be expanded. So I'm looking forward to rediscovering and hopefully reevaluating it now!

On 27/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, Arpy said:

According to 5 Cat Studio's Facebook page the score is mixed by Traunwiesser and scored by Anthony Willis.

I apparently never listened to this a few years ago when it came out. Finally started today and it's pretty damn good. Lots of reprisals of the themes from the movies which I wasn't expecting (I don't think the other Netflix series quoted actual music from Powell)

I'm definitely stoked for the new album for #3 to  come out

12 hours ago, Fargo said:

I don't think the other Netflix series quoted actual music from Powell

Riders/Defenders of Berk/Race to the Edge?

Thought those did contain some Powell themes?

Then I’ll have to go back and revisit it. I could have sworn when I listened to the album or briefly skimmed the show, it was just generic filler music. 

22 hours ago, Fargo said:

Then I’ll have to go back and revisit it. I could have sworn when I listened to the album or briefly skimmed the show, it was just generic filler music. 

There was an album?