The CGI/Motion Capture Thread (specifically Andy Serkis)

Well, I have certainly come to enjoy recently and formerly the works of Andy Serkis, dominantly, and others that are the human actors behind some of the greatest CGI performances of the animation's history. 

This is thread is for those people and their performances. Share your favorites, news, and any other neat clips. Even just photos of some of your favorites. This thread is for those people. You can share what you think is the best motion capture performance too! All right here!

I'm tired of motion capture. Andy Circus in the Disney SW was terrible. Just put some makeup on him. The only SS popcorn movies in the last decade have been friggin' motion capture. Cameron is stuck on it too.

Just now, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I'm tired of motion capture. Andy Circus in the Disney SW was terrible. Just put some makeup on him. The only SS popcorn movies in the last decade have been friggin' motion capture.

I admire the great skill and effort that these actors have. Just watching Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug makes you ache. These are some of the most versatile and able actors. The hardest part is they might be doing something as themselves, but they have to think how they would do something as someone else, in an entirely different form.

2 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

That's what actors have to do regardless of whether they're in a green room wearing a space suit.

No, it's so much more. 

Just a few examples of some of the most complex CGI performances. As much as people may dislike the CGI Tarkin in RO, Guy Henry has to portray a character played by a now deceased Peter Cushing, with the voice and movement, but all into a CGI character. That is difficult. 

Serkis was good as Bill Sikes.

gmlD6pU.jpg

39 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I'm tired of motion capture. Andy Circus in the Disney SW was terrible. Just put some makeup on him. The only SS popcorn movies in the last decade have been friggin' motion capture. Cameron is stuck on it too.

From what I can gather you're also tired of movies that aren't Titanic or all movies that didn't come out thirty years ago.

49 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Just watching Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug makes you ache.

Well, that's not a motion-capture performance that's on par with Serkis' performances of generally humanoid-looking characters. There's really not a lot of Cumberbatch's performance in the film. I'm glad that they went to the lengths of doing it, and I do think some of his little mannerisms do pull through, but for the most part I think it was done to appease the actor (which, in and of itself is important to get the right performance).

55 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Andy Circus in the Disney SW was terrible.

Yeah, it must be my least favorite motion capture performance of his. But its true across the board with the baddies, so it seems to be more of an intentional direction from Johnson.

38 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

As much as people may dislike the CGI Tarkin in RO, Guy Henry has to portray a character played by a now deceased Peter Cushing, with the voice and movement, but all into a CGI character. That is difficult. 

Oh, the performance is fine, its just the face itself that isn't that great. Motion capture has been used previously to make digital doubles move more convincingly, but such doubles are typically created with the actor at hand: you scan his face on the motion capture stage. To attempt to construct such a double from existing footage instead was valiant, but foolish.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Serkis was good as Bill Sikes.

He also made a fantastic Ian Drury.

I'll have to agree with ET&Elliot on Snoke. Beyond the tired and unimaginative character design (perpetuating that longstanding and harmful association with deformity and evil so common in popular fiction) his vocal performance was all too pantomime and obvious. A booming basso profundo we've all heard before, and done with more invention. 

33 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I'll have to agree with ET&Elliot on Snoke. Beyond the tired and unimaginative character design (perpetuating that longstanding and harmful association with deformity and evil so common in popular fiction) his vocal performance was all too pantomime and obvious. A booming basso profundo we've all heard before, and done with more invention. 

To me the whole design and treatment of this character is wholly forgettable. Absolutely pointless. That he features so prominently, then, well how could I possibly rate TLJ anything more than passable.

7 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

:sleepy:

+1

5 hours ago, Sharky said:

Yes! He was born to play Dury.

He was also good as a rock star, in an episode of [spooks]. I liked him as Stumpy.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

You've still got a storming lob on for it I see. Maybe watch TLJ before you next cosy up with a girl Drax, it might work wonders!

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

It was alright.

What was? TLJ, or the girl?