The Danceable Electronic Music Thread

Sharkissimo

Jack your body and twerk yo' booty because here it is at last! A thread for electronic music with tempi above 40 bpm.

Let's start off with some classic electro.

And here's a bit of film music with a strong electro/post-disco influence.

tenor.gif

Now, I've noticed a tendency for these threads to get rather silly. Now I do my best to keep things moving along, but I'm not having things getting silly. Those two last threads I posted in got very silly indeed, and that last one about The Spark was even sillier. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do... except perhaps Chen G. and some of his friends... oh yes and Thor. Come to think of it most people likes a good laugh more than I do. But that's beside the point. Now, let's have a good clean electronic music thread.

I don't dance but this album was the fucking bomb for people who did back in my day.  Good for the bedroom too.

That Enigma track reminds me of this.  I've seen this album referenced a lot lately and I am pretty sure my advocating for it on here is entirely responsible.

Not sure you'd dance to it though.

6 hours ago, Sharky said:

Now that's what I like! They don't make 'em like this anymore!

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Sharky, would you consider my humble notion of posting Teddy Riley in this thread? I don't know if he would be considered "EDM" in the way it's commonly used today.

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The bear told me.

tumblr_n2ottzdblY1sp4nfqo1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not chiming in earlier. These threads can be a bit Youtube-heavy -- so difficult to load, and discussions are buried in videos.

BUT....talking about favourites. Juno Reactor has always been a massive favourite -- especially LABYRINTH (and the track "Conquistador, Part 2"). From that track and album you can understand why their music was such a perfect match with the MATRIX universe:

Paul Oakenfold is another favourite -- especially the albums TRAVELLING and BUNKKA (the latter is more of a crossover album to pop).

I love almost everything Infected Mushroom has done, especially CONVERTING VEGETARIANS 1. And LEGEND OF THE BLACK SHAWARMA. From about 2 minutes here:

As you can see, I tend to prefer stuff that is darker and more hardhitting. Not too keen on commercial techno.

I am a fan of early Tiesto before he got overly commercialized - his remix of this track is great.

And I am also a fan of early Deep Forest - I picked a dance mix for this thread though.

:dance:

Early Tiesto is great. Same with Paul van Dyk. His actual film score for ZURDO is wonderful. My favourite there is this track (not particularly danceable, but great nonetheless):

I think I wrote a hit, guys! It goes like this:

DJs killed the mu-u-u-sic

I my mind

And in my car

That's all I have for now but I have a feeling it's going to be huge. What do yo think? 

Except that most of these DJs are actually excellent composers too. They're not all just remixers and people flipping records on stage. Stop living in the past, Alex! ;)

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I think I wrote a hit, guys! It goes like this:

I my mind

And in my car

That's all I have for now but I have a feeling it's going to be huge. What do yo think? 

I can't wait to re-mix it!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Except that most of these DJs are actually excellent composers too. 

:lol:

The funniest part is that you said "most", not "a few", but "most".

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Because it's true. Most of the "DJs" I find interesting, anyway. Van Dyk, Tiesto, Oakenfold, Man With No Name, Max Graham etc. They're all brilliant composers and producers too. Even more commercial guys like Kygo, Armin van Buuren, David Guetta, Skrillex, Avicii (RIP) etc.

Also, you seem to insinuate a grouping of DJs with other types of contemporary EDM artists, like Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Filteria, M83 and so forth, who rarely -- if ever -- perform DJ duties.

Your truth certainly ain't my truth, Thor. I think I only heard one DJ that I would call 'musical', but 99% sounds banal to me.

22 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

What is your experience with DJs?, I genuinely wonder. What leads you to believe that they're "killing music"?

A lot of the more interesting compositions I hear from recent times are from those who are considered DJs. A good DJ, particularly one who produces their own originals, must also be able to compose in the moment, carrying on the tradition of improvisation from centuries ago. While this trend started in the 20th century, it is my conviction that if you want to hear interesting compositions in the modern era, the orchestral scene is one of the last places to look. 

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Your truth certainly ain't my truth, Thor. I think I only heard one DJ that I would call 'musical', but 99% sounds banal to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but could it be because you haven't explored contemporary EDM much? I mean, I know you're a fan of old school electronica, but if you haven't kept up to date on what's happening on that scene, then perhaps you don't have the complete overview or knowledge needed?

The DJs you think of, i.e. people just DJing on a stage, not composing anything themselves and adhering only to recent fads and trends, are not really that widespread. They very rarely get A list status, at least, and are not really interesting in a thread like this.

33 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

What is your experience with DJs?, I genuinely wonder. What leads you to believe that they're "killing music"?

Sadly enough, my son is into it. As a father, I feel I have failed. Fortunately, his taste in movies is a lot better. 

Anyway, Thor & Nick, I think our opinions and tastes couldn't be more different so it's probably kind of pointless to have this discussion. I can't bring up the energy anyway.

Our tastes do overlap quite often when it comes to older stuff (prog rock, electronic music and so on), but probably diverge here, yes. I do think, however, that you ought to explore a bit more before you draw so bombastic conclusions. Some of the YT videos in this thread (those that are not just inserted as a joke, anyway) are a good start.

In any case, rather than fighting in this celebratory thread, I hope you can share some of your own 'danceable electronic music' picks.

• 1 month later...

Damn, I keep coming back here hoping someone has added some contemporary EDM stuff for recommendation, but I keep getting disappointed time and again! :D

Yeah, but George Clinton is 'old as dirt'! ;)

Armin van Buuren has some nice stuff, although often a bit too commercial for my taste. But that's more like it!

Contemporary EDM... hmm, I see there's a Above & Beyond track on one of my playlists among the latest ones - I liked their song Sun & Moon from their Group Therapy album which was like 7 years ago, but that's about it. So I am probably not a big fan of the new stuff being done today, it tends to be too commercial for me, although I am sure there are some exceptions out there, I haven't just come across them. The new and newer things I listen to is not really EDM, more ambient, noise or glitch things - not really danceable.

I'm excited for THE MUTANT THEATRE, the brand new album from Juno Reactor. Been listening on Bandcamp, and it seems to be deliciously old-school psytrance, almost going back to my favourite album LABYRINTH, down to the Hispanic guitars and the Middle Eastern vocals. "Let's Turn On" sounds like a beefed-up Moroder track: 

Ha, ha...well, that killed the conversation alright!

Spent more time with the album. Some great odes to not only Moroder, but also Kraftwerk, Vangelis (there are some literal references to BLADE RUNNER) and more. Even what seems to be an ode to fellow psytrance pioneers Infected Mushroom in "Alien". And more vocals than usual. While still keeping with Ben Watkins' particular form of goa. It just gets better and better.

• 4 months later...

I always love it when DJs and EDM artists do film scores. Usually ends in interesting results. I did an episode on this a couple of years ago:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-31-dj-filmmusikk/

The episode is in Norwegian, but you can either click the playlist (under the player) to see what my selections are; or you can listen to the actual episode and just fastforward through my comments to hear the music.

Any others you'd have wanted to add to the playlist?

• 2 years later...

ab67706c0000bebb2bca261686df6a7236c9bc9c

My favourite EDM album of all time (only rivalled by Juno Reactor's LABYRINTH). The perfect music as I'm once again about to clean my apartment. Fat beats, but lean and focussed like the road ahead. Never a dull moment. Oakenfold's masterpiece set, IMO, and easily in my top 10 albums of all time.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone here, like Deadmau5?

Absolutely, but I've heard too little to name any albums or tracks. I just remember liking it when it's been on the radio or some other circumstance on the go. Care to recommend something?

FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME is good. I friend played me a track that he once heard at an aprés ski party he once went to, while holidaying in Switzerland (the bastard), but I don't know the name of it. Not much help, really, is it? Nice music, though.

ab67616d0000b273e983284c84c1aa115de7d53e

This pioneering 1995 album is one of the cornerstones of psytrance. Much "cleaner" in sound than, say, Infected Mushroom or Juno Reactor. 

• 9 months later...

ab67616d0000b2737ff002240a2116e084f65a59

Daniel Deluxe's fantastic video game score for DESYNC (2017) was what hooked me on darkwave as an offshot of synthwave. This is his earlier studio album from the year before, and it's very much in the same mold. Gorgeous, clean dark beats and riffs with airy melody lines on top.