What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

On 1/27/2019 at 5:11 AM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Hey. New York. What a town.

That's the Brooklyn Bridge, isn't it? Two iconic shots of the same bridge, in five years. Not bad.

30 minutes ago, John said:

AD528BF3-2126-40D7-8B65-14DB5280AF9E.jpeg

Where's that from, John?

• 3 weeks later...

I have plenty more from the movie, if I can find them sometime. The Last Jedi looks great, really great. Another example of a sci-fi film granted with unique visual opportunities.

If its straight from a computer, that does mean that it doesn't count as cinematography so much as it counts as special effects, which is why something like Avatar winning Best Cinematography is so odd. After all, when you construct a shot in a computer, you don't really have to worry about getting the blocking right or keeping the shot in focus; if you're doing a long-take you don't have to worry about the film/memory card running out, etcetra.

But this thread is more about interesting compositions than it is about cinematography, per se. In that regards, its a fine example.

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If its straight from a computer, that does mean that it doesn't count as cinematography so much as it counts as special effects, which is why something like Avatar winning Best Cinematography is so odd. After all, when you construct a shot in a computer, you don't really have to worry about getting the blocking right or keeping the shot in focus; if you're doing a long-take you don't have to worry about the film/memory card running out, etcetra.

But this thread is more about interesting compositions than it is about cinematography, per se. In that regards, its a fine example.

I remember wondering whether the human scenes in Avatar were real actors or did Cameron CG them too. Actually I still wonder. I haven't seen the movie in years.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's called "The Cinematography Appreciation Thread" though.

Yeah, because Threads in JWFan always stick to the subject in their title...

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Nice shot, but is there anything in it thats real, or all CGI?

Hard to say for sure nowadays.

The real world location for Crait was somewhere in Bolivia. Hard to say how much of it was incorporated into how many shots.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It's called "The Cinematography Appreciation Thread" though.

It used to be the favorite shot thread, so on principle CGI and animation are fair game.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:19 PM, Stefancos said:

Nice shot, but is there anything in it thats real, or all CGI?

Hard to say for sure nowadays.

The Crait stuff was all filmed on the Salar de Uyuni salt flats in Bolivia. So I’m *pretty* sure the background is real. 

My favourite Fincher film, is ALIEN CUBED. I know that it's not a popular opinion, but I get off on the whole "you're screwed"ness, of it. There's a deep-rooted sadness to the whole thing, that affects me. I really get off on the extended cut.