What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I sympathize with you. We have to suffer through the same thing like Brits playing American roles.

What's interesting is that lately on the Bold they've introduced two British characters played by American actors, but it seems after a few months of their presence, the producers have demanded that their British accents be purged and instead Xander and Zoe in-universe are doing this dumb competition thing where they drop their British accents and instead pretending to sound American. I've been watching this show for 13 years, and this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen them do. The producers' xenophobia is so blatant and they make Forrester Creations seem like an icky company too if they demand Australian employees like Ivy to blend in and bung on an accent. Nobody does this in the real world.

They must think all those flyover country middle-aged housewives who watch the show hate foreign accents on "their stories" that much. How friggin insulting.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

No you don't. Henry Cavill sucked being Superman

Chris Reeve did not.

Henry Cavill sucked being Superman because he's not a good actor, and not because of a bad accent.

We play you, better than you play us.

On 3/28/2019 at 3:17 PM, Richard said:

Henry Cavill sucked being Superman because he's not a good actor, and not because of a bad accent.

We play you, better than you play us.

Well there are more opportunities to play us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:00 PM, frosberg said:

Agree!

Wow, am I the only one who noticed this spambot?

(Go back and look at his post and how he changed crumbs's quote inside it)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, am I the only one who noticed this spambot?

(Go back and look at his post and how he changed crumbs's quote inside it)

I didn't even notice that. Funny to see how that link nestled it's way in there: something..something..Indiana Jones..allaboutmoms...Steven Spielberg. :lol:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes

It's just a weird thing to spend time on.  I understand robo-calls, the sample size is enormous so you count on a thousandth of a percentage falling for the scam.  But how many potential rubes do they get with just Invision-based forums?  The ROI for the spammer doesn't seem worth it.  I guess it must be.

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

He mentions this, in the documentary.

That's why I know it. ;) I just watched the series followed by the documentary (I still have to watch the other one that's on the DVD set).

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

And cheap video camera work!

The fake sets and primitive video quality create a world unto its own.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:57 PM, Alexcremers said:

And to think it accomplishes that with fake-looking sets!

The documentary explains why it was filmed entirely interior.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

And cheap video camera work!

Yes, but one forgives that, in favour of being drawn into a fantastic extended piece of work. Bravo, to all concerned. It's probably the pinnacle of BBC television.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The fake sets and primitive video quality create a world unto its own.

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 8:41 PM, John said:

AC631C63-7A95-4DB9-8F72-0291EC3F35C5.jpeg

People standing exactly on the edge of the image is a compositional  "flaw". Either is image is a 'bad' crop or it's part of a shot where the camera is still zooming/moving in or out. 

There's a two-shot, in ROTJ, where the Falcon flies round a corner inside the DS, then three (I think) TIE fighters follow. The first flies straight on, the second explodes, and the third flies around the explosion. Breathtaking.

There are certainly things the special editions benefit from.

Thank goodness (or, rather, George Lucas) for adding a view to Cloud City!

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The problem isn't so much that every single change was awful, the problem is the suppression of the originals so that you don't have a choice.

Oh, surely. Its nuts that a filmmaker assasinates the original version of his movie.

Although, to be, fair, its not too different to Kubrick cutting his movies post-premiere (2001; The Shinning) and destroying the negative. Aren't portions of Lean's Ryan's Daughter and Doctor Zhivago (as shown in their respective priemeres) unrecovered to this day?

Sure.

But what I mean is that, in either case, I think its important to make available the movie as it existed in the earliest form in which it saw the light of day.

Star Wars was changed constantly, too. It hardly started with the Special Editions. On some level, I really applaud the wanting to make it better and the amount of work that went into all those revisions. Its certainly not an unworthwhile endeavor to revisit a film when you have the time and the perspective to make it better, and especially when its a serialized venture and you want to bring all the entries in line. On the other, there's something off about doing so many passes of revising a film. At some point, you ought to give it a rest!

• 2 weeks later...

1165.jpg (1024�542)

What illegal substance were Demme and Fujimoto on when they decided to shoot so much of their film like this?

It shouldn't have worked at all: it should have been terrible and cringe-worthy. But it wasn't.

Yes, the cinematography is definitely one of the film’s greatest strengths. 

Even in grotesque scenes like the shot above, there is a macabre sort of beauty in the framing and lighting.