What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s a movie you have to appreciate, even if you don’t personally love it, yeah.

Although, to be fair, liking and enjoying a movie is so much more important than appreciating it.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

It’s a movie you have to appreciate, even if you don’t personally love it, yeah.

Although, to be fair, liking and enjoying a movie is so much more important than appreciating it.

I do like Citizen Kane. I'd probably like it well enough without all the impressive production stuff. It's an interesting story, with reasonably engaging and brilliantly acted characters. The non-linear storytelling and news reel intro still seem quite modern. But I can very much appreciate and *enjoy* the makeup, cinematography, composite shots etc., and that doubtlessly makes me like and enjoy the film even more.

It's funny how Herrmann's score basically gives away the final clue right in the first two scenes, if you'd only understand it at that point.

Most of them are really entertaining. The last three are big popcorn fun. It helps that the majority of sequences are based around real stunts. As far as Hollywood action films go these are way a above most.

Karol

They're fine, but something about them just doesn't really grab me. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of pure action cinema. I usually need something more.

Of them all (and I think we have just enough) I'm deliberating between Ghost Protocol (by far the most "fun") and Rogue Nation as a personal favourite.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

They're fine, but something about them just doesn't really grab me. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of pure action cinema. I usually need something more.

Of them all (and I think we have just enough) I'm deliberating between Ghost Protocol (by far the most "fun") and Rogue Nation as a personal favourite.

The first one feels like it's more than pure action yet you actually prefer the ones that do offer nothing more? 

I was watching Minority Report and reminded of a really great moment. Colin Farrell can't get into the precog room and then suddenly Tom Cruise marches in like a boss while the camera follows him in tightly.

"Ident John Anderton approved for entry."

I miss Spielberg like William H. Macy missed fishing in Jurassic Park 3.

Oh, there are many better examples of that. Like Judah in he foreground behind he rock, and we see all the way back to the cave, small people coming out, all crisp in focus... compare that with the bifocal shots in ST:TMP!