Disco Stu's Isolated Score Videos - Non-Williams Edition

Disco Stu

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Every track could just be laid straight over the picture

Hehe. 

This is just great, a tense, fun action sequence which the music carries really well on its back, without having to be chopped to the picture... for all of Spielberg's talk of how much he loves and respects Williams, he sure does cut his music down all the time.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hehe. 

This is just great, a tense, fun action sequence which the music carries really well on its back, without having to be chopped to the picture... for all of Spielberg's talk of how much he loves and respects Williams, he sure does cut his music down all the time.

I'm guessing a lot of that is down to Spielberg wanting to tinker right up until the movie has to be locked.  E.Tis definitely the LEAST fussed with of his that I've worked on.  Annoyingly there's a couple little sections of "The Escape" in E.T. that were edited in some way and I never did figure out exactly what the editors had done.  I ended up having to make nasty sounding cuts just to get the rest of the sequence lined up.

Exactly the cue which they boast about every time how the movie was turned off, Johnny scored it, then Spielberg cut it to the music. Yeah, except for the first 3 damn minutes.

That little part where Elliott's brother has just taken off in the van and stops to tell his buddies to meet up at the park.  What the heck did they do there?

There's also something a little screwy happening when it cuts back to the part with Drew Barrymore giving away the game to Keys, when he runs down the station wagon.

FERDINAND

Flower Festival (John Powell)

Just a few edit points and one tiny bit of percussion loop I had to extend very clumsily, but nothing that detracts from the listening experience.

This cue was pretty terribly mixed at a low volume for a lot of the sequence, especially the more action-oriented part.  So in presenting Powell's intentions more clearly communicated, I hope I'm righting a great wrong for one of the best film score cues of the decade.

You could use the track from the FYC album, as that would match the final film exactly, no editing required

LOL, by "you got me" you mean "here's a link to an over-priced CD"?  Haha, I suppose if I'm going all-in on this score I might as well overspend on it too.  Ordered.

The extra bit of music at the end covers Scotty walking into the bridge holding his nephew's body doesn't it?

49 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Disco Stu

Jerry, have you tried redoing KIRK'S EXPLOSIVE REPLY, with the extra bit of music, at the very end?

Why did you call me Jerry?

I'll probably get to dabbling in Star Trek movies soon, but I'd probably do SEARCH FOR SPOCK or GENERATIONS first.  They're my favorites for each cast.

Well, in a roundabout way @Richard gave me the idea of working on Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, so I did!

I'm planning on working on a bunch of James Horner in general this May, so it only makes sense to start with the first Horner score I fell in love with.  There were several years of my childhood where I had seen The Search for Spock many many times before I ever saw The Wrath of Khan.  We had STIII on VHS and for some reason it never even occurred to me to seek out the earlier movie; just how a child's brain works I guess.

This is such a weird, beautiful movie.  It's so contemplative, almost small and quiet, for a major Summer blockbuster.  It also feels somehow very warm and inviting for me.  Just a great way to spend time with these characters for a couple of hours.

I want to kick off my week of Star Trek III with the sequence where the battle-scarred Enterprise arrives at Earth Spacedock.  It made such a big impression on me as a kid.  For his two movies Horner pulled off this neat trick of writing music that felt both inspiring in that Roddenberry way and a bit sad/meditative to my ears.  It's really very beautiful.

And Earth Spacedock is just one of the greatest movie models of all time!  Fantastic old-school special effects here.  Of course this sequence also features the all-time classic Scotty line, "Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon."

Klingons (Part 2: Arrival at Spacedock)

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

No its not. What on earth are you talking about, Nick? It may not reach the operatic heights of ST:II, but it's a bloody good score, nonetheless.

Listen my backwards friend, where's the logic in talking about opera, you idiot! If I wanted talk about opera, why would I be on a John Williams site!

There's a Stealing The Enterprise synced to picture on youtube already.  Or there was, I suppose it could be gone now

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes, especially with the cut scene reinserted, but, personally, I've never seen it.

In the youtube version, they just cut out the music for it rather than having a black screen up during that passage, it worked very well, not a jarring musical edit at all

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's a Stealing The Enterprise synced to picture on youtube already.  Or there was, I suppose it could be gone now

In the youtube version, they just cut out the music for it rather than having a black screen up during that passage, it worked very well, not a jarring musical edit at all

Oh...now I'm afraid mine's a bit jarring :(  I'm sure whoever put it on Youtube did a better job.  Now that I know there's something to compare it to I'll probably go back and finesse it just a bit more! I don't even know what the cut music was supposed to accompany.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

When it comes to the score and film of ST:III, you're preaching to the converted, here! I've loved both since I saw the movie, in 1984.

Maybe you're not as familiar with it as you think. ;)

Well, speaking of weird awkward edits just wait til we get to my "Genesis Destroyed" video.  The most microedited cue in the movie for sure.

There's one section they just looped three times in a row as a clumsy way to extend it.  Mostly covered with sound effects though.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh...now I'm afraid mine's a bit jarring :(  I'm sure whoever put it on Youtube did a better job.  Now that I know there's something to compare it to I'll probably go back and finesse it just a bit more! I don't even know what the cut music was supposed to accompany.

Well, you could just leave the music untouched, and have a black screen where the deleted footage would be

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, you could just leave the music untouched, and have a black screen where the deleted footage would be

Maybe, I'll take another look tonight and decide.  In the movie the edit is covered a bit with the transport sound effect.  The strings in the cut section of music sound like something out of a horror movie, I wonder what it was for.

And hey guys, this May is a pretty major anniversary for a certain classic Horner score..... ;) Just something to look forward to!

Wasn't it for some kind of snow planet sequence or something?

I dunno why but I can't find the youtube video or the discussion of it; I swear it was discussed either here or on FSM or both but I can't find it

Another prime example where, without the score, this would just be some dudes parking the car out of the garage very, very slowly, but with the score, it's a legendary moment.

36 minutes ago, Holko said:

Another prime example where, without the score, this would just be some dudes parking the car out of the garage very, very slowly, but with the score, it's a legendary moment.

After all, this isn't reality.  This is fantasy! ;) 

And is it just me or did Horner time the rhythm of the pizzicato strings to match the transwarp status bars going up and down at 5:31? :lol:

I... HAVE HAD... ENOUGH OF.... YOU!

Genesis Destroyed

This cue presented some interesting challenges.  Twice at different points in the cue the music editor just looped a section of music twice in a row.  No changes.  Plus a couple of microedits on top of that.

Fantastic music either way and I'm pretty happy with how I got the looping sounding.  Not too awkward at all imho.

Well I guess that's it for Star Trek III.

I might as well go ahead and reveal that I have almost the entire OST for Willow set to picture now.

Willow turns 30 this month!  Happy anniversary Willow!

What I'm not sure of is how to break up the music for these videos, assuming anyone's interested.

The final 50 minutes of the movie is basically ALL music with "Canyon of Mazes," "Tir Asleen," "Bavmorda's Spell is Cast," and "Willow the Sorcerer" coming one after the other with almost no breaks between.

Do y'all want to see me just post sections of the movie based on the tracks above?  Those have a fairly unwieldy length but I also can see why now that I've done this project because there aren't many logical breaks.

I guess if no one responds or has a preference I'll try to figure out a few natural break points within the long OST tracks.

Guys, I'm not gonna lie.  It has been SO much fun working on Willow.  Putting finishing touches on things today.  Tons of microedits and looping and stuff, but it's such a WONDERFUL score to listen to against picture.  I've always loved the OST, but I feel like this has really unlocked the score for me in a new way.  Even if there's not much community response, it's been a blast working on this and totally worth it.  Can't wait to start posting them :)