Disco Stu

Disco Stu's Isolated Score Videos - Non-Williams Edition

It's especially the stuff from those tracks that are over 10 minutes long.  Isolating them against picture has focused my listening on the details where listening to just the OST my attention could wander a bit.  There's so much great stuff in those huuuuuuge cues!

But I'm gonna go in film order so I won't be posting videos from those tracks for a while yet.

Ok!  Tell your friends!  It's Willow!

This is one of those scores, like Star Wars, that completely works as a silent film of music and imagery.

Elora Danan

Horner had some darn long cues with this one, that's for sure.

1m1 Elora's Birth / Titles

Hey Stu, I haven't had a chance to check out your newer videos yet, but I hope to real soon!

Willow is great, and I'm glad you tackled this one!  To answer your question from a couple days ago, I'd say one video per CD track makes more sense than a giant 50 minute video.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hey Stu, I haven't had a chance to check out your newer videos yet, but I hope to real soon!

Willow is great, and I'm glad you tackled this one!  To answer your question from a couple days ago, I'd say one video per CD track makes more sense than a giant 50 minute video.

I ended up breaking up "Tir Asleen" and "Bavmorda's Spell is Cast" into 2 and 3 parts, respectively.  I also broke up "Willow's Journey" into 2 parts, mostly because it's two distinct, separated cues in the film.  They're all already uploaded on Google Drive so I ain't changin' it now! :) 

I just made the first post in the thread like the Williams subforum version, with a summary of all posted videos in spoiler tags.

As a bonus for anyone who might care to watch them, this includes many more Star Trek III videos (every cue) than I posted in the thread individually!

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

I totally get it.  This whole Star Wars remaster debacle has the entire forum at DEFCON 1 ;) 

Willow's Journey - Part 1 (Saying Goodbye)

The lovely goodbye scene with Willow and his family and the beginning of his adventure.  The track "Willow's Journey" on the OST is actually 3 shorter cues:

3m1 Saying Goodbye

3m3 Search / Travel Montage

4m2 Crossroads

Essentially the track just cuts "3m2 Bavmorda & Kael" out.

I'm fairly sure that the last 15-30 seconds of the 3m1 cue on the soundtrack (2:06 - 2:40 in the OST track) is an alternate from the film version, which is why I cut to the film audio for the last bit of the video above.  I probably could have stayed with the first 15 seconds of that bit as isolated score as it's really just the last 15 seconds in the film that's different from the OST.  Oh well.  If it's not an alternate, then it's tracking in music from somewhere that is not on the OST so I couldn't recreate the edit.  But I think it's an alternate.

Great cue!

3m3/4m2 coming tomorrow!

Escape From the Tavern

5m2 Escape From The Tavern

The most famous cue from the score!  The first example of how masterfully Horner scores the rhythms of action scenes in this movie.

Tir Asleen Part 1

I thought it made sense to cut this one off with the death of the giant monster.  Seemed the most natural break in the music.  I wonder if that's also where the 9m1 Tir Asleen Battle Pt. 1 cue ends as well.  I don't have the sheet music, so I've no idea.

Bavmorda's Spell is Cast Part 1

This covers Bavmorda turning the army into pigs, Willow removing Raziel's curse, the start of Bavmorda's ritual, and right up to Willow launching the army's surprise attack.

If I'm honest, Horner could have removed a lot of the random improvised shakuhachi stuff from the OST and it would not have suffered.

I might as well go ahead and post the final video since it's Friday and the actual 30th anniversary of the movie's release is this weekend!

Willow the Sorcerer

Willow uses the old disappearing pig trick, Bavmorda destroys herself, Willow has an emotional homecoming.  Fin.

I'm going to start posting isolated score videos of James Horner's The Rocketeer soon and regardless but I would like to know: did, uh, any one watch any of the Willow videos?  I'm not needy for attention on them or anything but I was hoping to talk about the Willow score with somebody!  It's great!  Tracks like "Bavmorda's Spell is Cast" especially opened up for me when isolated to picture.

There was actually a fair bit of audio editing required for the last couple of tracks.  Some are pretty obvious, like when I just had to cut in some movie audio, but I'm a little proud that I think some are covered up relatively well.

Stu I LOVE the Willow score and had been meaning to find time to sit down and watch your videos but just haven't had the time.  I'd love to do so and give you feed back, on them and all your videos, as soon as I actually have time to do so!  Based on the ones I've already seen, you're doing great work here!

Yeah it's a little busy in the soundtrack world right now what with Solo and Alien 3 and Superman and whatnot.  That's one reason I'm holding off on posting the Rocketeer videos.

Also, all of the Willow videos are now in the initial post of the thread