Academy makes massive change to Best Original Score category

TheUlyssesian

In the Music categories, all members of the Music Branch will view films eligible for Original Score and film clips of eligible Original Songs and vote in a preliminary round to produce a shortlist of 15 titles in each category using the preferential voting system. Five nominees for Original Score and five nominees for Original Song will then be chosen by branch members in a second round of balloting also using preferential voting.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/academy-awards-rules-changes-oscars-1202375630/

Basically made it closer to best song. A shortlist of 15 original scores will be released some weeks before nominations and then the members of the music branch will vote out of the shortlist of 15 to determine the nominees.

I think this helps Williams. He will automatically make the shortlist for absolutely any score. I think this basically gives the big names bit of a leg up.

52 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm sorry, the change is that ONLY music branch members vote while earlier it was ALL the members of the academy that voted in the final round?

It's still just the music branch that chooses the nominees, and it's still the entire Academy that votes for the winner (like with all other categories).  This is just a procedural change to how the music branch's nominees are chosen.

55 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm sorry, the change is that ONLY music branch members vote while earlier it was ALL the members of the academy that voted in the final round?

But it makes sense, since most members don't have any idea about film music.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's still just the music branch that chooses the nominees, and it's still the entire Academy that votes for the winner (like with all other categories).  This is just a procedural change to how the music branch's nominees are chosen.

So no advantage for Williams, since he gets always nominated, anyway.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't see how it's an advantage or disadvantage for Williams.  He's generally always gotten nominated anyway (only missing what, 3 or 4 years that he's been eligible since the 70s?) and it's no change in how the winner is voted on.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I scanned your comment too quickly.  I thought you were saying the opposite.  Sorry again! :) 

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

yes, I was jsut asking if that was the case because i wasn't sure.

So, this maybe mean now that we may see more good music scores in the music category, despite the films they accompany.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't see how it's an advantage or disadvantage for Williams.  He's generally always gotten nominated anyway (only missing what, 3 or 4 years that he's been eligible since the 70s?) and it's no change in how the winner is voted on.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I scanned your comment too quickly.  I thought you were saying the opposite.  Sorry again! :) 

He was horribly snubbed for The Post. I think in the new system for 2017 he would have been double nominated. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I don’t understand how this is different than the current system. 

So earlier its a jungle battle. 100 eligible scores and the music branch votes and selects 5 nominees.

Now it is 2 steps. 100 eligibles scores and the music branch to create a short list of 15. Then in the second round they again vote on the shortlist to select 5 scores that get the oscar nomination.

The idea is that second round will see more participation.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't see how it's an advantage or disadvantage for Williams.  He's generally always gotten nominated anyway (only missing what, 3 or 4 years that he's been eligible since the 70s?) 

Even if you count the 70s it's less than 10.

1970 - Storia di una donna (not sure if this was eligible)

1976 - Family Plot, The Missouri Breaks, Midway

1979 - Dracula, 1941

1986 - Spacecamp

1992 - Far and Away, Home Alone 2

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2016 - The BFG

Those are the only years since his first nomination (1967, Valley of the Dolls) that he had at least one score and didn't get Oscar love.

17 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Even if you count the 70s it's less than 10.

1970 - Storia di una donna (not sure if this was eligible)

1976 - Family Plot, The Missouri Breaks, Midway

1979 - Dracula, 1941

1986 - Spacecamp

1992 - Far and Away, Home Alone 2

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2016 - The BFG

Those are the only years since his first nomination (1967, Valley of the Dolls) that he had at least one score and didn't get Oscar love.

There have still been outrageous snubs. Jurassic Park, prequel scores etc. I know other scores were nominated in those years but he still has been snubbed.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

My guess is that this means there will be far fewer FYC albums kicking around in the future.

I hadn't thought of this but you're probably right