SPOILER TALK: The Avengers: Infinity War

Jay

Hello!

For big films that will generate a lot of discussion, we'll be creating spoilers-allowed threads where people can discuss everything openly without needing to use spoiler blocks.  This lets people avoid the discussion entirely until they've seen the film, and makes it easier to discuss for people who have seen it.

You are welcome to post spoiler-free thoughts in What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films) or Marvel Cinematic Universe, but in here, feel free to say anything and not use any spoiler tags at all. 

Enjoy!

Previous threads:

Quick question and I'm outta here: Did they have the balls to follow the comic? Does Thanos kill half the universe? I don't want details on who dies and who doesn't, just if he does it.

Though the movie doesnt follow the comic plotline outside of taking some elements

Yes he does kill half the universe with the snap of his fingers

Though rather than people instantly disappearing, they dissolve into ash one by one

I enjoyed it. Not sure if it's a good film but most of the individual ingredients work well. Good score from Silvestri, different from the first one. He certainly didn't recycle his first score and offers a more fantasy/s-f adventure type of flavour this time with a few poignant moments. Oh I think they tracked some Black Panther in (doubt that was recorded for this). It's just one piece.

Karol

A lot of characters. Although I'm pretty sure we'll see some of them back (Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther, think all the Guardians of the Galaxy sans Rocket). Not sure about whether Scarlet Witch, Vision, Loki, Bucky will though. Funnily enough, all the original Avengers are still alive.

Hawkeye doesn't appear in the film at all. And neither does Ant-Man. But they're both mentioned.

Red Skull makes a surprising appearance. 

Overall I'm surprised this film works at all.

Karol

And, again, Silvestri's score is very enjoyable. I'm surprised. It's more whimsical, emotional and exciting than anything from the original (which was good but bit, um, basic). He even manages to create new variations of the Avengers theme.

Karol

Given that this film does have major deaths, what’s the tone of it, for the most part? Is it hyper-serious, or is it still very much a comedic experience with moments of gravitas?

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

So they didn't actually die then?  Lame

Does anyone ever really die in the MCU?

Aside from the lame Quicksilver. 

I mean, killing characters that already have sequels in development 🙄

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Given that this film does have major deaths, what’s the tone of it, for the most part? Is it hyper-serious, or is it still very much a comedic experience with moments of gravitas?

Its more serious than not. Though still having quips, especially in the first half of the movie before they get to Wakanda/Titan

And most of the time its in character anyway

I'd say its less whimsical than Avengers/Avengers2, but more than Black Panther/Winter Soldier

lets talk about that ending first:

i mean its no coincidence that the original members are the who survive. Mark my word, THEY WILL SWAP PLACE! ( idk about Racoon though)

-----

Now the movie:

I mean it's nearly impossible task to craft this one into nearly-flawless movie, so yeah, this movie is full of flaws, and they're to be expected

But oh boys, how this movie truly delivers!

It's massive and exhausting in a really good way! 

and im surprised how dark this movie manages to be ( as in LOTR dark )

Overall, i'm speechless, it worths the wait.

*) i just love how Avengers theme was used for Thor, Racoon, groot entrance onto the earth, i really want to clap ( but thats not a thing here in my country)

-----

Anyway though, there is one unforgiveable flaw:

Does anyone here just hate how Black Panther gangs are portrayed in this movie? It's like they dont invest to the character anymore. Boseman's accent here is just a joke ( reminds me of his SNL skit), and all of his motivational quips are cringe worthy. It's like they are literally forced to do this just for the big bucks. ( i mean i love his accent in his solo movies, because we know he invests greatly in it)

This is sad. This is a disgrace for Coogler's vision.

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Does anyone ever really die in the MCU?

Aside from the lame Quicksilver. 

I mean, killing characters that already have sequels in development 🙄

I haven't seen the film, but killing major superheroes in big sagas has been a staple in comic book writing since the late 1980s, both from Marvel and DC. All the killed characters then returned or made a comeback in some sort of way. It's part of the language of modern superheroes comicbooks. Of course Marvel is gonna make a big deal with the general audience by having the "guts" so to speak of allegedly killing major characters like Spider-Man or Black Panther in the film. But of course it's almost a given they will return. Nobody really dies in comic books, nor in films based on superhero comic-books.

Especially in a story which involves magic stones who can  bend time and what not.

Having said that, there are some deaths that feel more poignant than others.

Karol

This was alright.  A few years ago I probably could have gotten really into it but damn if I'm not basically burnt out on these superhero flicks by now.  That and knowing it'll mostly be reversed next year made it tough to be invested.  Great showing from Alan though.

The problem here is that it's too much of everything and that can also mean too much of a good thing. You really feel exhausted by the end of it. Not thay separate segments of the film don't work. It's just that all of it together make for a very cumbersome experience. But still mostly entertaining. I am actually amazed it doesn't collapse into itself.

Karol

I'm kinda burnt on this. I give the directors and writers credit for keeping the film fairly balanced on the characters, but it's hard to keep the stakes high when Marvel keeps leaning heavily on the shared universe concept. It kinda blurs together whenever the scattered Avengers (and Guardians) are battling Thanos and his three goons.

But I fucking hated the ending. They said it wasn't supposed to be a 2-parter and stand on its own... they lied. And it was hard feeling most of the character deaths (like Gamora) since it's likely most of them will be resurrected in the fourth film.  

One of the most overrated comic book films out there. It's a shame since Black Panther was a refreshing palette cleanser.

My wife wanted to leave during the credits, so I didn't get to see the after-credits scene - can anyone summarize it? I heard it had to do with Captain Marvel or something.

Nick Fury and Maria Hill are driving down town, noticing the activity above wakanda on some machine

when cars start crashing into each other and a helicopter falls down because their drivers have been killed.

Then Maria dissolved and so does Fury, but he uses a very old pager to send a signal towards presumably Miss Marvel

(also he tries to say motherf... before being cut off)

Motherfuc....

The toughest death of all was Peter Parker. It is easy to forget that he is just a junior in HS. And he was so scared.

The action was pretty excellent, especially for a Marvel film, The last battle on Titan against Thanos being a particular highlight. 

My entire theater sat through the credits too. It was funny though, as soon as the credits started rolling, a employee working in the theater came in told and us that after the emotional ending we just watched, that we shouldn't spoil it for people. It's not everyday you see that see / hear that sort of thing in the cinema. It was just that "big". 

Just got back...  man what an emotional roller coaster!  Dr Strange knew the one way out of what 14 million that they won so that’s why he gives up the time stone.  Perhaps someone reclaims it and pulls back in time to prevent the millions of deaths from happening?!?!  Who knows gotta wait another 12 months ugh

One thing that irked me is Thanos snapping his fingers with the gauntlet hand instead of his free hand...  huh?  How do you snap the gauntlet hand?!?!

On 4/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, Matt C said:

But I fucking hated the ending. They said it wasn't supposed to be a 2-parter and stand on its own... they lied. And it was hard feeling most of the character deaths (like Gamora) since it's likely most of them will be resurrected in the fourth film.  

This is true. I don't know if I can even have an opinion because this is half a movie. This is not the entire story. 

The ending doesn't illicit any emotional reaction or even deep shock because it is obvious all the dead are coming back. It was an interesting choice for sure but doesn't have the impact it should have had.

But then again, had they really shown the ending for what it was... it would likely not be family friendly anymore.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:58 PM, Matt C said:

I'm kinda burnt on this. I give the directors and writers credit for keeping the film fairly balanced on the characters, but it's hard to keep the stakes high when Marvel keeps leaning heavily on the shared universe concept. It kinda blurs together whenever the scattered Avengers (and Guardians) are battling Thanos and his three goons.

One of the most overrated comic book films out there. It's a shame since Black Panther was a refreshing palette cleanser.

Its no worse than the ending of ESB. In fact its a proper ending and the bad guy won.

Yeah, you sort of realise it's not so much Avengers: Infinity War as much as it is Thanos: Infinity War. He's clearly the main character here.

Karol

48 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, you sort of realise it's not so much Avengers: Infinity War as much as it is Thanos: Infinity War. He's clearly the main character here.

Karol

He is for sure. Even in terms of screen time.

I think the ending is interesting but devoid of the impact it would ordinary have had. In a way it is a bold choice. But the filmmakers are selling themselves short with it by not really pushing its boldness out there.

Really enjoyed Infinity War. Though enjoy is a poor word for the emotional nature of it. I thought the action, specifically the Titan fight against Thanos was sensational. Thanos' CGI and overall performance capture was great. He had real weight and felt like a real genuine threat unlike all other comic book movie CGI disposable villains.

I literally gasped when Red Skull was revealed. The voice was instantly recognisable when he was cloaked, though was that actually Weaving or an impersonator? Sounded slightly off but still enough like Weaving.

Loki's death and Idris Elba's were well done and had heart, as did Gamora's. My favourite subplot of the whole film was anything Thor related. He has easily jumped to the top of the most interesting and charismatic characters in the MCU for me. 

The humour was spot on. The emotion was spot on. The balance as is usual for Marvel was perfect I thought. Never cheapening the emotion, but still making it enjoyable enough humour-wise to not be suicidal like a DC movie.

The plot and many subplots were all very easy to follow and to understand which character was where and doing what at certain times. All easily digested and not complicated.

I've heard some people say how convenient it is that Hulk never wanted to appear and fight, because he of course would have been a major weapon. I find that well executed by the filmmakers. Hulk was scared to emerge because he was beaten to hell by Thanos at the beginning and thus was too scared to come out and fight. Hulk felt vulnerable and didn't like it.

I do have one thing to say though, WHY WHY WHY STARLORD! they literally could have ended it then and he had to break Mantis' hold on Thanos by punching him. Dumbass. 

I expect Gamora, Heimdall, Vision, and Loki’s deaths to stick (well, MAYBE not Loki).  Everyone else’s dissolving death will be taken back - clinched it when they killed Spider-man, since (of the very few announced sequels at this time) there’s a sequel coming next year.  Of course every MCU movie from this point forward could take place PRE-Infinity War I guess.  And they wouldn’t off their new cash cow Black Panther.  So the gravitas of the deaths was lessened for me because of that.

Wonder if Valkyrie and the rock guy were in the half of the Asgardians that didn’t bite it.  Maybe we’ll see them in Avengers 4.  I expect we’ll see Hawkeye and Ant-man in it too.

I think the movie was a lot of fun.

I thought everyone on the ship was slaughtered. I expect Valkyrie and Korg to have survived somehow, simply because they are another incredible addition to the MCU.

Deaths I expect to hold are Loki definitely. Heimdall and Vison for sure. Gamora was in that magical place with Thanos at the end so I believe her soul was captured in the soul stone when she was sacrificed for it. Therefore a piece of her remains and she can be brought back.

Of course all the major players will return from the 'dead.' That's a given. If they choose to keep one or two dead, then that will be balsy considering their worth to fans and to the disney pockets.

What always annoys me about these high-stakes end of all life as we know it type movies is that people just give the bad guy what he wants...

I mean Gamora said sure I'll show you where the soul stone is, just don't kill my fake mechanical sister please. All those other trillions you intend to murder when you get the soul stone is fine, just not my fake sister...

Also Dr. Strange doing the same by giving Thanos the time stone for sparing Starks life. IF HE GETS THE STONE YOU ALL DIE ANYWAY, SO F**K NO, DON'T GIVE HIM THE STONES!

Of course Dr. Strange did it because it's clearly a part of the 'plan' that he saw the way of stopping Thanos. But my point still stands at the idiocy of these characters. Especially Starlord. Man what a douche.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Anyone know WHY Thanos went to Titan other than the plot required him to?

Because that is where Maw was supposed to take captured Dr Strange? I think... But how does Nebula know that I have no idea.

Karol

Does it even matter when Thanos can go anywhere he wants too with the Space Stone?

But yeah the ship was locked into a course for Titan

14 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Does it even matter when Thanos can go anywhere he wants too with the Space Stone?

Yeah, and with other stones he probably already knows exactly where the remaining ones are anyway.

Karol

Consistently the Avengers movies are my least favorites in the MCU.  Although I still think Ultron is the best of the three.

Guess I just don’t like the teamups/crossovers/whatever you call these.

A couple of Marvel films popped on TV yesterday. To me, the Avengers are the best of their entire catalog, and I can't imagine this latest film topping it. As it is, its one of my very favorite movies. ever.

But I should clarify that I'm coming at all of this from the point of view that most Marvel films are very much action-comedies.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Consistently the Avengers movies are my least favorites in the MCU.  Although I still think Ultron is the best of the three.

Guess I just don’t like the teamups/crossovers/whatever you call these.

Since this is pretty much the whole point, why do you bother?

Karol

I don’t think they’re the whole point at all, the point is to get entertaining movies.  The Guardians movies, last year’s Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Iron Man 3, the Captain Americas, I find all of these satisfying, enjoyable movies. And I enjoy the connected universe!  I just don’t find the big overblown overstuffed unfocused teamups that great.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don’t think they’re the whole point at all, the point is to get entertaining movies.  The Guardians movies, last year’s Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Iron Man 3, the Captain Americas, I find all of these satisfying, enjoyable movies. And I enjoy the connected universe!  I just don’t find the big overblown overstuffed unfocused teamups that great.

Yes, I get you. But this is the Marvel universe. And all those crossover events are a big part of it! This film is tiny compared to Infinity War comic books.

Now, I'm not saying that going big and loud makes it better. I'm just pointing out this is exactly what this genre is all about. At least in the US industry.

Karol

Yeah I think they're a necessary part of doing this whole connected universe thing, just not my favorite part of it.  Like I said, I had a lot of fun with this movie at the level of individual segments and character interactions.  But ultimately I didn't buy into the character of Thanos at all, so the overall narrative just fell apart.  Him suddenly being this emotional character who actually loves Gamorra just didn't work at all for me.  This is someone who has only ever been portrayed as a 100% psychotic, sadistic character; someone who collects people purely for his own self-serving ends and enjoys pitting them against each other and emotionally destroying them for his own amusement.  I just laughed when he turned around crying about killing her.  Didn't buy it.  I probably would have been more ok with the whole messy affair otherwise.