Jump to content
John

A new anime-style 'Star Wars' series is coming...

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder if Lucasfilm will bring back Kevin Kiner as composer?

That was my first thought on seeing the announcement. After two series of successful collaboration between Dave Filoni and Kevin Kiner, I really see no reason why they should stop now. As for the supposed 'anime' style, I really just hope it wont be as bad as the original non-Filoni Clone Wars cartoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not the biggest fan of anime-style animation, although it can be gorgeous when done right, but anything's better than the ugly nasty CG of the previous two series.  It at least has personality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was nothing ugly about the later seasons of TCW. 

 

The early seasons sons they were just learning stuff. Rebels screams “low budget”. But Clone Wars seasons 3 onwards was beautiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only good thing about Rebels' looks was how heavily McQuarrie-inspired it was, especially the first season. And that's more art direction than art style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think both shows' visuals improved dramatically as they built up their libraries of resources.  In the grand scheme of (current) kids' TV animation, they were probably top-notch.  The non-character stuff (action and space battles) in both was excellent.  Nobody does hand-drawn anymore, unfortunately.  It's all CGI and Flash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Indiana Jones would say: "Anime, why did it have to be anime"?

 

Actually, with that style and main character name, combined with Chirrut and Baze and Rose, does anyone else think Disney is trying to warm China/Asia to the concept of Star Wars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked his scores for The Clone Wars and Rebels, so I'd love to hear more.

 

Given the change in style, it also couldn't hurt to mix it up.  Since Filoni is only an overseer on the project, and there is a different EP/showrunner, it's possible that the hiring decisions will be a little different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think both shows' visuals improved dramatically as they built up their libraries of resources.  In the grand scheme of (current) kids' TV animation, they were probably top-notch.  The non-character stuff (action and space battles) in both was excellent.  Nobody does hand-drawn anymore, unfortunately.  It's all CGI and Flash.

 

I never watched those shows because they look wretched. They look like a video game.

 

Although I’m not sure there is a style of cartoon that I truly like, short of Sleeping Beauty (1959).

 

Ah well, a little something for everyone. I’m looking forward to the live-action television series and the Benioff/Weiss film series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give everything a shot!  I read all the comics and have watched all the shows at this point.  I'm way behind on books, mainly because I started doing a ground-up reread of Legends a few years ago, but I intend to read all of them too.  The only Star Wars media I don't keep up with (or intend to keep up with) is video games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The only Star Wars media I don't keep up with (or intend to keep up with) is video games.

 

You're not missing anything these days, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the closure of LucasArts, all that's been released is mobile games and multiplayer-focused shooters.  There was gonna be that promising-sounding game from Visceral but who know what's going on there at this point, since Visceral was closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That game was cancelled I believe. The mobile games have been awful. There's just about a full game between the two Battlefront games but they get old fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard good things about the single-player campaign in Battlefront 2, but that's not enough to make me shell out for a current gen system (now playing:  DS, Wii-U, and PS3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Rebels screams “low budget”. But Clone Wars seasons 3 onwards was beautiful. 

 

I disagree. Everything in terms of aesthetic in Rebels is 100% Mcquarrian. Go get one of those OT "art of" books and skim through it. Rebels is on point stylistically.

 

Clone Wars is all extreme angles and blockiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I heard good things about the single-player campaign in Battlefront 2, but that's not enough to make me shell out for a current gen system (now playing:  DS, Wii-U, and PS3).

 

It has a few nice moments and one of the most weak, stupid and rushed character "arcs" I've ever seen. The maps look nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John said:

 

I disagree. Everything in terms of aesthetic in Rebels is 100% Mcquarrian. Go get one of those OT "art of" books and skim through it. Rebels is on point stylistically.

 

Clone Wars is all extreme angles and blockiness.

I have many of them and McQuarries art looks great in them. 

 

It looks awful in Rebels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I heard good things about the single-player campaign in Battlefront 2, but that's not enough to make me shell out for a current gen system (now playing:  DS, Wii-U, and PS3).

 

I like it but it's far too short to justify it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CGCJ said:

That was my first thought on seeing the announcement. After two series of successful collaboration between Dave Filoni and Kevin Kiner, I really see no reason why they should stop now. As for the supposed 'anime' style, I really just hope it wont be as bad as the original non-Filoni Clone Wars cartoon.

What?! That cartoon was fucking amazing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×