A new anime-style 'Star Wars' series is coming...

John

star-wars-resistance-tall.jpg

‘Star Wars Resistance’: Dave Filoni’s ‘Rebels’ Follow-Up is an Anime-Style Series Set Before ‘The Force Awakens’

Interesting. I wonder if Lucasfilm will bring back Kevin Kiner as composer?

Also, anime BB-8 is my new favorite thing.

20 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder if Lucasfilm will bring back Kevin Kiner as composer?

That was my first thought on seeing the announcement. After two series of successful collaboration between Dave Filoni and Kevin Kiner, I really see no reason why they should stop now. As for the supposed 'anime' style, I really just hope it wont be as bad as the original non-Filoni Clone Wars cartoon.

I'm not the biggest fan of anime-style animation, although it can be gorgeous when done right, but anything's better than the ugly nasty CG of the previous two series.  It at least has personality.

There was nothing ugly about the later seasons of TCW. 

The early seasons sons they were just learning stuff. Rebels screams “low budget”. But Clone Wars seasons 3 onwards was beautiful. 

The only good thing about Rebels' looks was how heavily McQuarrie-inspired it was, especially the first season. And that's more art direction than art style.

I think both shows' visuals improved dramatically as they built up their libraries of resources.  In the grand scheme of (current) kids' TV animation, they were probably top-notch.  The non-character stuff (action and space battles) in both was excellent.  Nobody does hand-drawn anymore, unfortunately.  It's all CGI and Flash.

As Indiana Jones would say: "Anime, why did it have to be anime"?

Actually, with that style and main character name, combined with Chirrut and Baze and Rose, does anyone else think Disney is trying to warm China/Asia to the concept of Star Wars?

I liked his scores for The Clone Wars and Rebels, so I'd love to hear more.

Given the change in style, it also couldn't hurt to mix it up.  Since Filoni is only an overseer on the project, and there is a different EP/showrunner, it's possible that the hiring decisions will be a little different.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think both shows' visuals improved dramatically as they built up their libraries of resources.  In the grand scheme of (current) kids' TV animation, they were probably top-notch.  The non-character stuff (action and space battles) in both was excellent.  Nobody does hand-drawn anymore, unfortunately.  It's all CGI and Flash.

I never watched those shows because they look wretched. They look like a video game.

Although I’m not sure there is a style of cartoon that I truly like, short of Sleeping Beauty (1959).

Ah well, a little something for everyone. I’m looking forward to the live-action television series and the Benioff/Weiss film series.

I'll give everything a shot!  I read all the comics and have watched all the shows at this point.  I'm way behind on books, mainly because I started doing a ground-up reread of Legends a few years ago, but I intend to read all of them too.  The only Star Wars media I don't keep up with (or intend to keep up with) is video games.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The only Star Wars media I don't keep up with (or intend to keep up with) is video games.

You're not missing anything these days, sadly.

Since the closure of LucasArts, all that's been released is mobile games and multiplayer-focused shooters.  There was gonna be that promising-sounding game from Visceral but who know what's going on there at this point, since Visceral was closed.

That game was cancelled I believe. The mobile games have been awful. There's just about a full game between the two Battlefront games but they get old fast. 

I heard good things about the single-player campaign in Battlefront 2, but that's not enough to make me shell out for a current gen system (now playing:  DS, Wii-U, and PS3).

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Rebels screams “low budget”. But Clone Wars seasons 3 onwards was beautiful. 

I disagree. Everything in terms of aesthetic in Rebels is 100% Mcquarrian. Go get one of those OT "art of" books and skim through it. Rebels is on point stylistically.

Clone Wars is all extreme angles and blockiness.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I heard good things about the single-player campaign in Battlefront 2, but that's not enough to make me shell out for a current gen system (now playing:  DS, Wii-U, and PS3).

It has a few nice moments and one of the most weak, stupid and rushed character "arcs" I've ever seen. The maps look nice.

Just now, John said:

I disagree. Everything in terms of aesthetic in Rebels is 100% Mcquarrian. Go get one of those OT "art of" books and skim through it. Rebels is on point stylistically.

Clone Wars is all extreme angles and blockiness.

I have many of them and McQuarries art looks great in them. 

It looks awful in Rebels. 

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like it but it's far too short to justify it. 

20 hours ago, CGCJ said:

That was my first thought on seeing the announcement. After two series of successful collaboration between Dave Filoni and Kevin Kiner, I really see no reason why they should stop now. As for the supposed 'anime' style, I really just hope it wont be as bad as the original non-Filoni Clone Wars cartoon.

What?! That cartoon was fucking amazing! 

• 1 month later...