Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN 3 (1992) - 2018 2CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

Image may contain: text

ALIEN 3: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1454

Music by Elliot Goldenthal
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING MAY 1 

Available to order from www.lalalandrecords.com now.

La-La Land Records, Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Music and Universal Music Special Markets present the expanded and remastered re-issue of the original motion picture score to the 1992 feature film ALIEN 3, starring Sigourney Weaver, Charles S. Dutton and Charles Dance, and directed by David Fincher. Renowned composer Elliot Goldenthal (BATMAN FOREVER, PET SEMETARY, HEAT) composes an astounding musical tapestry of suspenseful atmospherics and pulse-pounding action – featuring some of the most effective cues ever composed for the legendary ALIEN franchise. Goldenthal’s artistic triumphs here would propel him into a series of acclaimed scores to important genre films that continues today. Expanded by more than 40 minutes beyond the original 1992 album assembly (which appears here remastered on Disc 2), the presentation showcases the film score in all its haunting glory, along with bonus alternates. Produced by Nick Redman and Michael Matessino, associate produced by Neil S. Bulk, and remastered and mixed by Matessino from original digital masters, this special 2-CD set is limited to 3500 units and features exclusive in-depth liner notes by writer Jeff Bond and sharp art direction by Mark Banning.

TRACK LISTING:

CD 1
The FILM SCORE

1. 20th Century Fox Trademark (Alien Version) / Main Title 4:53
2. Status Reports 2:59 
3. The Survivor Is a Woman 1:59
4. The Wreckage 2:08
5. Lullaby Elegy (Extended Version) 5:28
6. The Cremation 4:04
7. Chow Down With the Boys 2:28
8. How Do You Like Your New Haircut? 1:46
9. The First Attack (Film Version) 1:18
10. Appreciative of Your Affections 1:45
11. That’s His Boot 2:29
12. A Mark, A Burn 0:57
13. Wreckage and Rape 2:43
14. Candles in the Wind 3:24
15. Bishop Turned On 2:29
16. You’re Going to Die Too 2:01
17. It’s a Long Sad Story / Clemens Dies 4:21
18. Andrews’ Sting /What Are We Going to Do? 4:53
19. Explosion and Aftermath (Extended Version) 3:13
20. I Have to Get to the Ship 4:17
21. In the Basement 1:33
22. Alien’s Lair 3:33
23. The Beast Within 3:12
24. Visit to the Wreckage 2:05
25. Bait and Chase (Extended Version) 4:56
Total Time – Disc One: 75:05

CD 2 
THE FILM SCORE (Continued)

1. It’s Started 3:36
2. More Bait and Chase 2:21
3. Trap the Alien / Dillon’s Deliverance 2:04
4. Gotcha / Hello, I Must Be Going 2:29
5. Adagio 4:18
Total Score Time: 89:53

ALTERNATES

6. The Cremation (Alternate) 4:34
7. You Can Still Have a Life (Alternate) 4:04
8. 20th Century Fox Trademarks / Alien Version 1:15

The Original 1992 MCA Album
9. Agnus Dei 4:29
10. Bait and Chase 4:42
11. The Beast Within 3:10 
12. Lento 5:49
13. Candles in the Wind 3:21 
14. Wreckage and Rape 2:44
15. The First Attack 4:20
16. Lullaby Elegy 3:41
17. Death Dance 2:17
18. Visit to the Wreckage 2:04
19. Explosion and Aftermath 2:21
20. The Dragon 3:07
21. The Entrapment 3:42
22. Adagio 4:16

Total Time – Disc Two: 75:03

Total Time: 150:08

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/Alien3.html

Damn it! I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more scores until Solo and Fallen Kingdom come out. 

Ah well, I can wait. I'll just make sure to keep an eye on this and get it before it sells out.

I spent €70 on soundtracks already today so I'll wait until next month but damn, brilliant release. 

Is Intrada 2CD of the orginal Alien sold out?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Pretty sure that wasn't a limited release.  They reprint as needed.

"Temporarily Out of Stock" on Intrada and Music Box so they must be awaiting a reprint. I must get around to picking that up at some point too. 

So they used film stems for the isolated score, there's been talk of disintegrating tapes and this score being lost to time but there were original digital masters all along? Or do I not know the whole story?

Oh, OK. I guess we live in a time when absolutely anything goes. When Azkaban comes in November, we'll have nothing to look forward to!

oohhh, I want this one.

Does this mean that Goldenthal speciality and expanded releases are again possible or were just the Warner Brothers properties vetoed?

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

oohhh, I want this one.

Does this mean that Goldenthal speciality and expanded releases are again possible or were just the Warner Brothers properties vetoed?

@crocodile explained to me the other day that WB's is the big issue. I really want a complete Michael Collins though :(

48 minutes ago, Romão said:

It was always only WB titles that were an issue

Wow, still processing this fantastic news! Two of my favorite scores under one label in the span of several months, amazing!

At first glance, it seems that some of the shorter cues have been combined into longer tracks, hopefully without crossfading (although, just going by the track times, I'm having a hard time pinpointing the location of 3m1 Outbreak of Cholera in this new set). Concurrently, since they are not included, cues like 4m5 Door Sting, 4m6 Clemens Reprimand, and 8m3 Golic Opens The Gates were apparently never recorded. Judging from the samples, "Hello, I Must Be Going" is lacking some extra chimes heard in the isolated score (likely added in post).

And it looks like "You Can Still Have A Life (Alternate)" is the original version of the cue that Goldenthal talked about!!! :drool:

3 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I forget

did the assembly cut have any extra music? I cant imagine it did.

The only unique bit of music in the Special Edition is the first 1:48 of the album track "Lento", heard while Dillon gives a sermon right after capturing the alien

15 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

And it looks like You Can Still Have A Life (Alternate) is the original version of the cue that Goldenthal talked about!!! :drool:

AWESOME!!! I've wanted this original cue since Goldenthal first talked about the score in the 2003 documentary. 15 years later...

Thank you, LLL. Making the impossible happen, again!

I've tried to listen to the isolated score but I just can't maintain interest in it. It might be just too long. I need to whittle it down to the most essential tracks. 

Oh wow, you're right! I love that end credits suite... what exactly is 12m3a though? I always thought the end credits were just an edit of other cues? Still, would've been nice to have it included. Both discs are 75 minutes so perhaps they couldn't make it fit on either disc?

Hopefully it'll be easy enough to cleanly assemble the credits suite ourselves using the rest of the soundtrack. Don't really want to mix in Bluray rips with the score, considering it's sourced from the film stems.

The last two minutes of the credits are the last two minutes of Adagio, so perhaps they also felt the repetition was unwarranted.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

AWESOME!!! I've wanted this original cue since Goldenthal first talked about the score in the 2003 documentary. 15 years later...

Thank you, LLL. Making the impossible happen, again!

Could you specify these comments?

Great score from a composer I miss.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Oh wow, you're right! I love that end credits suite... what exactly is 12m3a though? I always thought the end credits were just an edit of other cues?

12m3a is the slate assigned to the end credits on the isolated score and the sheet music

Do we know if it was actually a re-recording though? Or just an assembly of other cues that was intended for a re-recording but ended up being an edit? I'd be very surprised if they left it off and it was a different recording...

16 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Could you specify these comments?

On the documentary he talked about recording an entirely different version of Adagio which was scrapped when the ending was hastily re-shot. He had to write a new version overnight and record it within a few days or something, which is the version we hear in the final film. It's not clear how different the original version is/was, but it accompanied the alternate ending (the one where the chestburster doesn't explode as Ripley falls into the fire).

Is this complete? I only ask because the cover states "expanded" and the copy also uses the same word a couple of times.

Not that it matters, I'm not one of those "must have every single note composed and recorded" types, just wondering.

Fantastic news that they found the tapes/files/whatever.

Perhaps there is still hope for Dracula?

Hmmm I might actually get this one.

14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is this complete? I only ask because the cover states "expanded" and the copy also uses the same word a couple of times.

Not that it matters, I'm not one of those "must have every single note composed and recorded" types, just wondering.

Fantastic news that they found the tapes/files/whatever.

Perhaps there is still hope for Dracula?

Yes I suppose it is complete. LLL just puts the "Expanded" on the covers because they have had some experiences of where ardent fans have been riled up by something missing from the "complete" release so "expanded" doesn't give so much issue as it doesn't promise every second of everything. It has been their policy for quite a while. E.g. all of their complete John Williams score releases have "expanded" on the cover even if they are well and truly complete.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Seems that the film studios really need to get some more competent people to handle their archiving.

Back in the day, this stuff was regarded as disposable and ephemeral. It was meant to last the theatrical run (maybe video tape for a while) and that was it. It's a wonder most of this stuff survived at all.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Or the most infamous one: The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition.

That would be just as shitty if it was labelled neither "complete" nor "expanded". :P