Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN 3 (1992) - 2018 2CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

They were very quick about refunding my shipping too.  Within 30 minutes of placing the order for Superman IV (with a couple of other titles)

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

MV has to be one of the most communicative business owners I've ever come across. I work with people who would find the detail in his post completely unnecessary because it's exposed the 'inner workings' of the label which customers don't need to know. Very refreshing.

I had a very good customer service interaction last week with Matt as well - an order of mine had gotten lost in the woods for a month, and by the time I e-mailed them (website says wait 4 weeks from ordering), one of the discs had sold out/through.  He offered an obscene amount of stuff as an apology (I didn't take advantage, was happy enough to just have a PayPal refund for the disc; it was just an impulse clearance buy from their McCreary sale anyway).  Anyway, service was very fast and friendly, and now I finally have my copy of Close Encounters.  Pretty good.

22 minutes ago, karelm said:

Hey man, where's my CD?  I ordered it two weeks ago!  How long is it taking to arrive?

They’ve had delays from the CD manufacturer. Estimated to start shipping orders on the 15th last I checked.

2 hours ago, karelm said:

Hey man, where's my CD?  I ordered it two weeks ago!  How long is it taking to arrive?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28491-elliot-goldenthals-alien-3-new-2018-2cd-edition-from-la-la-land-records/&do=findComment&comment=1479013

4 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Has anyone gotten their shipping notification yet?  I ordered immediately after it went on sale and haven’t yet

Yes I got mine yesterday afternoon

Well, I can check the status email they sent me. It says “will ship in 1-2 weeks” which I assume is inaccurate and just not updated since the stock arrived. Or at least I hope so.

14 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

It says “will ship in 1-2 weeks” which I assume is inaccurate and just not updated since the stock arrived. Or at least I hope so.

Same here

I will say something feels cheap and not well designed about the liner notes/booklet.  Not well-printed (blurry, colors seem dim) and a really drab-looking sans serif font like Calibri or something.  I do like that it has track-by-track comments, something specialty labels mostly stopped which I always liked.

Watched the work print of this movie again today while anxiously awaiting my package to arrive.  Like this one more and more as time goes by.  The music I was always loved, reallllly looking forward to listening to the whole thing. Glad to hear it has track by track comments!

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm having to key in the track titles one by one like a peasant!

No internal CD Text?

A few reactions from FSM:

The "Outbreak of Cholera" cue is missing, which is the only thing that keeps this from being absolutely perfect, but otherwise this is the holy grail release I've been waiting years for.

The version of "Trap the Alien/Dillon's Deliverance" on here is almost completely different to the final mix as heard in film. It turns out Goldenthal wrote a tragic string theme for when Dillon is fighting the alien, which is completely omitted from the film mix. Whoa. Amazing to finally hear it. And the alternate Adagio, wow...

So the alternate Adagio appears to indeed be quite the different cue, as hinted by Goldenthal in the 2003 documentary! Disappointing it couldn't be used in the "Workprint Cut" from the Blurays, considering they restored the original ending. Their edit of the final Adagio cue is a blight on that otherwise excellent release.

Interesting a completely different mix of a track (from the film version) would end up on this release without the film mix also being included? 

Also speculation about that Cholera cue, possibly an edit/track job? Hopefully... would be a little disappointed to hear a cue was completely omitted on this release. Can't imagine that's the case, considering we're talking about Mike Matessino here (and presumably they would've reverted to the film stems for any cues missing from their newfound digital masters).

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I will say something feels cheap and not well designed about the liner notes/booklet.  Not well-printed (blurry, colors seem dim) and a really drab-looking sans serif font like Calibri or something.  I do like that it has track-by-track comments, something specialty labels mostly stopped which I always liked.

How is the booklet, content wise?

I didn't realize LLL was still using Mark Banning.  Well, I suppose we'd only get a few titles a year if Jim Titus did them all.

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

Has anyone besides me still not received a shipping notice?

I haven't 

But most of the time I don't, and it just shows up. 

Same here, though once in a while they get a lot of orders, and they get slightly inconsistent.

I use the USPS Informed Delivery service, then I get notified when packages are sent regardless.

UPS and FedEx have similar services.

Yup, unnerving. It almost literally snarls at you (that growling brass), and that creepy skittering sound through some cues makes me think of ants crawling in my brain.

I can also say that I was impressed by the sound quality.

Still haven't listened to the whole thing, just highlights, but this one will eat you alive.

The gnarly parts make the few parts when it opens up big and emotional super effective.

And boy Goldenthal loves deranged horns.  Although this is small potatoes in that department compared to his Batman work.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

No score release of any kind ever for B&R remains one of the worst film music injustices in history.

Thank goodness for that leak!

Do the liner notes mention if the album tracks "Agnus Dei", "Wreckage and Rape", "Candles in the Wind", and "Adagio" use the same takes as the film?