Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN 3 (1992) - 2018 2CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

It's been forever since I've heard this one...I remember this was my favorite Alien score. I'm considering revisiting this. Hopefully it's as captivating as I remember. I think I still have the original album somewhere though. I'm curious, how do ya'll feel about the complete score compared to the album?

It's a revelation! Considering that the only source of expansion until now was the Blu-ray's isolated score,and even that has some unique oddities

There's only one cue missing (3m1 Outbreak of Cholera), but it's on the isolated score

My favorite cues are "Chow Down With The Boys", "How Do You Like Your New Haircut", "It's A Long, Sad Story/Clemens Dies", "Alien's Lair", "Trap The Alien/Dillon's Deliverance", and "Gotcha/Hello, I Must Be Going"

Revisiting the album today. Still dig this beautifully horrid thing. 

Am mainly waiting for answers to the question as to whether this is indeed worth hearing complete. I assume it is overall, but still would love to read others' feelings on the whole work (as someone who's only heard the 50-minute album and doesn't know what I'm missing).

On 5/17/2018 at 10:06 PM, Disco Stu said:

No Gracenote tags!  Party foul!

I'm having to key in the track titles one by one like a peasant!

What's wrong with saving the track list from LLL into a text file, and importing with Mp3tag? It seems that's a lost skill. 

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I can't even remember what's missing from the album. It's a well assembled soundtrack. I just bought the new one because I'm an Alien completist.

Trackwise maybe not much

but when you compare it to the isolated score, you just cant go back to the album and all its missing instruments

havent heard this yet though

It looks like after a long weekend all the orders have been packed and the remaining ones should all be shipped off by end of day tomorrow. Thank you all for your patience and your continued patience. We really hate it when titles do not arrive on time and try to avoid it whenever possible.

As for the missing track...its just that -- missing. Sorry. That's why we never use the C word any more. We looked and looked and couldn't find it nor did we want to include anything that sounded subpar. Mr Goldenthal would not have liked it nor would alot of our customers. 

We hope you enjoy the release and look forward to surprising you with some amazing titles we have lined up for the rest of 2018.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=126737&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=851#bottom

That's a shame but I guess they rightly point out that the cue is technically available on the Blu-ray in inferior quality. Ultimately they have to respect the wishes of the composer.

Hopefully one day it shows up but I won't hold my breath. 

THe lower quality blurayiso-sourced cue Could have been added as a bonus track it The end of the cd, like those damaged cues in the fsm CDs...or the et adventure ride...

They wouldn't have to source it literally from the blu ray of course; It would be sourced from the same element that was used to make the blu ray track (the music-only stem of the final finished film).

I know I'm trudging well-tilled earth, but is the desire for complete releases driven by a fear  of missing something, that idea of knowing there's more than what you have? I'm curious to know. 

For example, when "Bad Dates" was added to the Raiders album a decade ago, were people genuinely excited to have that track available for listening? Or is it more the psychological factor of having everything?

its not fear for me

its desire

some tracks I hear in the movie, and I want to be able to listen to them again in pure form

More often than not I feel unsatisfied with a standard OST release, even though I know one cannot expect to get everything

For me I just like having  access to everything a composer recorded for a project.  I don't mean every take or anything, but just a proper version of everything he tried out.  I can always cut down an album if I find it too long, but I can't add in things that aren't released

I find that the best scores tell a story in the music, much like a ballet or opera.

Obtaining a complete presentation allows me to take the complete musical journey.

i also find that there are short gems of music that are not a good fit for a general album, such as the transition cues in Krull.

It is also good to hear ideas that didn’t work, such as alternates, as they allow me to better appreciate the work, and provide some great music in themselves.

Yea sometimes some of my favorite bits of a score are short little transition cues

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's a genial screen presence.  Clueless is still the best movie he's ever been in.

WET

HOT
AMERICAN

SUMMER

Wanderlust, too!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wanderlust is hilarious

Never saw it.  I stopped watching most comedies years ago, not a big fan of the Apatow effect

It's an Apatow production.

Even if it wasn't, his influence is in pretty much every Hollywood comedy for the past 10 years.  That loose, improv style I don't really enjoy anymore.

I didn't like Wet Hot American Summer either (I feel like we've talked about this before), so Wain doesn't sell it to me.

Oh, then yea.  If you don't like Wain's movies, then of course Wanderlust isn't for you at all

I still wouldn't describe it as being anything like Apatow movies.  It's very Wain-y.

Eh, does Solo count?

Wait, what's the 8th you speak of?

EDIT: Oh, you meant Superman IV as the 7th and Solo as the 8th.

Does Superman IV really count? :P

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Eh, does Solo count?

Wait, what's the 8th you speak of?

EDIT: Oh, you meant Superman IV as the 7th and Solo as the 8th.

Does Superman IV really count? :P

LSOs Life in Music is the seventh. ;) And I really hope Solo counts! :)

It's just his music in the LSO album, he didn't have anything to do with the production.

SOLO makes the most sense since he conducted the main theme.

Superman IV doesn't sound like very inspired when it comes to JW's new themes. So let's not count it...

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's just his music in the LSO album, he didn't have anything to do with the production.

SOLO makes the most sense since he conducted the main theme.

Well, it's nonetheless a release you can't ignore, being with the LSO, and it's got a new arrangement.

Well, I agree that it's time to move on from ESB.

So the question is: Do I change to Life in Music, Superman IV, or Solo... hmmmmmmm

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, I agree that it's time to move on from ESB.

So the question is: Do I change to Life in Music, Superman IV, or Solo... hmmmmmmm

Definitely Solo.  It's the NEW new one, even if only one track.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd say the cover art of Life in Music rules itself out... Btw, why is there a coat on the globe?

That's the little girl's red dress from Schindler, I presume.

And, yeah, Solo's the one to go.

Just now, Holko said:

That's the little gorl's red dress from Schindle, I presume.

Yeah it's a little weird seeing that and the soldier's helmet beside Hogwarts and the Hook and the T Rex as like "Magic of Cinema!" icons.