Jay

Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN 3 (2018 2CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

So the album is essentially missing 57 seconds of material? And not terribly remarkable in the context of the entire work, to be honest, but I'll add a rip to my playlist at some point (in between Lullaby Elegy and The Cremation).

Really enjoying the set, by the way. It's not perhaps something I'll be listening to frequently but an amazing work to study and appreciate.

Karol

Can anyone tell me where 2m1 They Didn't Survive fits into the set? Just checked the iso on the Bluray and it's definitely not at the end of The Survivor Is a Woman or at the start of The Wreckage, yet the cue should sit between those tracks (according to the cue list):

1m2/2m0 The Survivor Is A Woman 
2m1 They Didn't Survive 
2m2 The Wreckage 

EDIT: Solved. Looks like 2m1 was moved to the start of track 11 (That's His Boot) on disc one, for whatever sequencing reason.

Also, is the wobbly trumpet at 0:04 of The Cremation (Alternate) intentional or just a case of damaged elements? Sounds kinda weird if they intended for that...?

Neil S Bulk just answered some questions about this release on the FSM forum

Is the wobbly opening brass note at 0:04 in "The Cremation (Alternate)" a case of damaged elements or just the composer's original intention for that note? Comparatively the brass note at the start of the film version is unwavering. It really took me by surprise when I first heard it.

This was a digital recording digitally transferred. The sort of "damage" you are describing is something that would happen with an analog recording and transfer, not digital. With digital either you either get a signal or you don't. There were instances of drop outs on Alien³ but we were able to handle them. Our tapes had a lot of redundancy, thank goodness.

Also, does anyone know why the end credits had a cue title assigned to them (12m3a) when they were just an edit job? Did Goldenthal write a credits suite that was never recorded?

A title and reel and part number were assigned because this appears to be the standard operating procedure in that era. I just worked on another score and went crazy for awhile because I couldn't find a cue that was assigned a reel and part number and an appropriate title. Session DATs didn't have this cue, neither did a the composers DAT (labelled "complete"!). It turns out the scene was entirely tracked! I expect I'll get nasty tweets when the album is released and it's "missing" this cue.

Neil

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=126737&forumID=1&archive=0

5 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

With the exception of maybe CETK and snippets of Images that I've heard, this level of experimentation was rarely heard in Hollywood at the time, and certainly not these days.

At the time of CEOTK and Images, this was a regular occurence.