I lost ALL my music and ALL my Williams research!

Thor

Have you tried just turning it off and turning it back on?

I feel your pain.  My spouse recently spiked my hard drive on the floor by accident, so I am currently going through the process of re-ripping all of my CDs (which, like you, numbered in the thousands).  I’ve made it alphabetically through film scores to Who Framed Roger Rabbit so far.  After I get through Z (Zulu, in fact), it’s on to the pop/rock section.  Working from home makes switching discs pretty quick at least.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

He, he. On a more serious note (since this was ressurected by someone who may or may not be a spambot), I've managed to retrieve most, if not all of the music I lost in 2018, now four years later. The Williams research material, not so much. I bought a new external harddrive, and at some point soon in the future, I'll upload all the music to a NAS unit that my dad bought awhile back (I just need to get to my brother's place, since he has a fast internet connection that will help with the uploads).

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I just need to get to my brother's place, since he has a fast internet connection that will help with the uploads

Can't you transfer via cable?

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I feel your pain.  My spouse recently spiked my hard drive on the floor by accident, so I am currently going through the process of re-ripping all of my CDs (which, like you, numbered in the thousands).  I’ve made it alphabetically through film scores to Who Framed Roger Rabbit so far.  After I get through Z (Zulu, in fact), it’s on to the pop/rock section.  Working from home makes switching discs pretty quick at least.

That's sad. Did you tell your wife you need a better wife?

True. :) 

I sympathize with your situation, mstrox. Let me know if there is anything I can do now that I'm up and running again. Elfman-wise, for example.

Thank you!  I’m good - I never part with a CD unless I get the same program as part of an expansion, and I don’t listen to any FYCs/promos/boots, etc. so everything I need is filed and collecting dust on my shelf.  Since I’m sitting on a computer working all day anyway, it makes sense to just rip em as I work.

Yes, if you have a CD-ROM player in your computer, you should be fine. I don't, and I believe very few laptops do these days, so I can never rip CDs anymore (unless I buy a separate CD-ROM plug-in thingie, of course).

Thor just curious, and forgive me for not knowing, but with regards to the research material, were you planning a written piece or book?  I seem to recall you do some music journalism, no?