John Williams and the Music of Star Wars - A Further Step into a Larger Musical World (Main Page article)

Ricard

Fantastic article! I can't believe I didn't notice Luke & Leia appears twice in the score! In such an obvious spot, too, I just never made that connection with those 4-5 notes.

Brilliant writing, Maurizio. Hopefully it opens a few eyes to the genius contained within The Last Jedi, which has become increasingly apparent with the isolated score.

I knew it!

Interestingly, Williams quoes "Luke and Leia"  over the mention of Han, and "Han Solo and the Princess" over the mention of Leia. As a result, the latter was much more overt in my mind

The film directed by J.J. Abrams is very much based on nostalgia, going back to the escapist fun realm of the original three films, but Williams seemed more interested to expand and further develop his own rich musical tapestry.

Oh no, I sense another discussion about escapism on the horizon...

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I knew it!

Interestingly, Williams quoes "Luke and Leia"  over the mention of Han, and "Han Solo and the Princess" over the mention of Leia. As a result, the latter was much more overt in my mind

That's actually a very interesting observation. I hadn't rewatched the scene, naturally assuming Leia is mentioned first and Han second, but you're right in this instance.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

You point out an interesting observation about TFA, and I'd level the same observation towards the prequels. On a cue-by-cue basis, the prequels might well be filled with greater individual highlights than TLJ, but viewed holistically from a storytelling and writing perspective? Only ROTS comes close to matching TLJ's cohesion.

Is it? Out of the three new themes, one is only used in conjunction with a single storyline; the other is contained roughly within the opening third of the film, and the other - appears (at least, in its definitive form) only in the false third act.

And cohesion isn't necessarily the best dramatic tool. You gave the example of Revenge of the Sith. Well, that film is structured such that the midpoint transforms the narrative into something far more tragic; and so too does the music: Suddenly, the Imperial March rears its heads, the lament theme is introduced (through transforming the Across the Stars B section), variations on the Grievous material are redirected to apply to Anakin, the choir becomes much more pronounced, etc..

The imperial march is introduced way before the midpoint. And what are you referring to with the Grievous thing?

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So if he feels like Luke's Exile theme has no place in the score once Rey abandons him, and he favours a different route (like deconstructing a related theme) for his triumphant moment of redemption, I'm not going to argue! And given the results, how could anyone?

I don't mind that leitmotives are sometimes contained within a certain part of a film. But when there's only three of them...

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I don't mind that leitmotives are sometimes contained within a certain part of a film. But when there's only three of them...

You mean new motives.

There are leitmotives (or atleast things that appear to be) throughout the entire score (for example that bouncy First Order/Resistance/Action motif, Rey's Theme etc.)

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think three's the optimal number for a lot of things...

23 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Of course JW takes some liberties in using some of the themes, not referring strictly to their original intent and instead going for their emotional resonance. For all its undisputable qualities, it's still film-music, hence the first and foremost thought from the composer is the functional element to the scenes and the narrative.

Oh, I don't mind that; at least, as long as its not too rampant, which it isn't in this score: the use of the themes is actually quite straightforward: Rey's theme for Rey, Kylo's fanfare for Kylo (well, and The First Order, but that makes sense). His secondary theme, clearly intended to evoke his conflicted side, certainly stopped serving that goal, but that already happened in The Force Awakens. The Rebel Fanfare may have lost its original association, but that also started with The Force Awakens. At least he's consistent with the re-appropriation of the motif. Otherwise, the themes are used where narrativelly appropriate.

I guess you could rant about The Emperor's theme or the Death Star motif but, to my mind, those are more of a wink and a nod than anything else.

The issue with, say, The Force theme, is not that its thematically inappropriate, per se. Its that it becomes a bit repititive, and the theme a) loses some of its dramatic weight; b) loses its associative power, becoming a dramatic gesture rather than a narrative device.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

becoming a dramatic gesture rather than a narrative device.

As already mentioned, the force theme was already used like that in the binary sunset scene in the first episode.

Yeah, but there it was the exception to the rule. I don't mind that occasionaly a theme is used outside of a narrative context.

Here, its happens too many times.

And, to be fair, it happened in Attack of the Clones, too. But two wrongs don't make a right.

It isn't. Its the theme for The Force and, formerly, the theme of Ben Kenobi. Its just that occasionally Williams uses his themes for their emotional effect. It doesn't undo the thematic association alltogether.

In Williams own words:

when the Force is referred to or felt, we want to hear the Force theme.

That it's called the force theme doesn't mean it's only intended to portray the force. It could just be a practical label which covers some of its use. Before we know it JW will claim it was written for Harry Potter's wand.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

That it's called the force theme doesn't mean it's only intended to portray the force.

Eh?:eh:

Which is exactly why it isn't all those things: you're casting your net way too wide.

It is The Force theme, and occasionally its used outside of that context. But that doesn't make it any less of a theme for The Force.

That Leia's theme is used for Ben's Death doesn't make it "Ben's Farewells theme", that Yoda's theme is used in the finale of Empire Strikes Back doesn't mean that its "'told you this would happen, I did' theme"; etc...

No, the bigger picture is, I would say, still consistent with the idea of it being "The Force" theme. Even in The Last Jedi, you could probably justify most of the instances of the theme, thematically. Its just that its in there way too much, regardless of what it stands for and what it doesn't.