Your Favorite John Williams Concert Adaptations of his film work

BuzzLightyear

Hi guys! 

Not sure about a existing topic of this kind.

Looking at my playlist, I noticed that I have many pieces that I've been listening to over and over again for years. I was wondering which concert arrangements John Williams probably succeeded best. So what are your top 10 John Williams concert pieces? Here's my list.. 

1. Flight to Neverland
2. Throne Room and Finale
3. Theme from "Jurassic Park"
4. Raiders March from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"
5. Rey's Theme
6. Marion's Theme
7. The Cowboys: Overture
8. Flying from "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial"
9. Dartmoor, 1912 from "War Horse"
10. Night Journeys from "Dracula"

But there are so many other great pieces I would have liked to add. Looking at this list has definitely shown what a fantastic repertoire of concert pieces John Williams has. A legacy that many filmmusic composers certainly dream of. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

A bit confusing headline, Buzz, as you're talking about concert adaptations of his film work. Not music written for the concert hall.

I'm not that interested in the former, but if I had to pick one, maybe the MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA suite.

For actual concert pieces, I'd pick THE FIVE SACRED TREES.

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

A bit confusing headline, Buzz, as you're talking about concert adaptations of his film work. Not music written for the concert hall.

Sorry, you're right! I changed it

My favourite ones are those that are not aimed at just provoking an applause in 2 minutes, and have instead some nice structure, and some development. So, I'd say the 3 pieces from Schindler's List, the Escapades suite, 2 Pieces from Angela's Ashes, the JFK suite (although I prefer Prologue and Motorcade in the film versions), and a certain number of Star Wars cues (most of the slow ones, plus Duel of the Fates). For the rest, I generally prefer the versions used in the respective movies.