John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

On 10/31/2018 at 4:45 PM, TownerFan said:

The official info is that they looked for a substitute conductor when they got news of JW being unable to conduct, but nobody was available on such short notice. That being said, I guess one of the key factors that convinced the Wiener music direction to agree on a program of mostly film music was the fact JW himself would have been conducting.

Where did you get that info? The tour guide yesterday said that after some discussions they have decided to cancel the concerts because John wants to do it himself, it’s his bucket list.

1 hour ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Where did you get that info? The tour guide yesterday said that after some discussions they have decided to cancel the concerts because John wants to do it himself, it’s his bucket list.

That’s not exactly what she said though 😉

1 hour ago, Melvin Frohike said:

I went to Vienna despite the cancellation.

At the Musikverein there was a notice with some lovely scribbles by fans. I didn’t have the time or pen to add something myself, though.

10A17122-CF60-41FF-AC36-82F83499F214.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's a lovely picture.

Already posted on the previous page by another fan (and n the main page etc). But this one is more recent so it has much more content :)

Although I had the choice to cancel the whole trip to Vienna without really losing any money (refundable flights and hotel), I decided to go anyway and boy, did I NOT regret it. What a beautiful city! I took the guided tour on Wednesday. The guide was young (like 30 years old) and was very strict on taking photos, he wouldn't let us! I'm surprised some of you managed to take they, you're so lucky. Except if you did it when the guide was not looking 😉

On topic: I asked a very kind gentleman that was working in the Musikverein regarding the concert. He explained that the reason the concert was cancelled, was that the tickets were way too expensive and people paid all this money to see Williams conduct, not another conductor. Many would be very upset and demand a refund. I asked him about the reschedule and he had no idea. He gave me the number of the Vienna Philharmonic, in case they had more info. If any of our Austrian friends want to call, it's +4315056525

On 11/3/2018 at 11:10 AM, rough cut said:

So I went by the box office. It seems you can pick up tickets, in spite of the concert being cancelled.

4913C249-4818-43B9-B791-9EE4442D06B3.jpeg

How cool to have the number 1138 there ..not Williams related film tough.

9 hours ago, apples said:

Why isn’t everybody more excited about the possible reschedule :)

I am EXTREMELY excited but also cautious to not invest any

more energy into any such dreams-to-come-true.

This is not the only recent occasion in my life

that has left me being cautious, sadly.

But: I am dreaming already;

can't do anything

about it...

*sigh*

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

How cool to have the number 1138 there ..not Williams related film tough.

That's the event ID, apparently. *All* the Saturday tickets were numbered 1138, and *all* the Sunday tickets 1977!

Hi everybody,

I bought my tickets online and as everyone knows we should wait for the refund to take place automatically. It’s 14 days since the announcement and I still waiting for the return of the money. Today I sent an email to tickets@musikverein.at and they have told me that I will receive it soon. Have all of you had the refund or are you still waiting too?

Thank’s and greetings from Spain,

Daniel.

22 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's the event ID, apparently. *All* the Saturday tickets were numbered 1138, and *all* the Sunday tickets 1977!

Nice.

Another strange coincidence: On November 3/4 they released this demo at X party (I might have been there, in the Netherlands, had I not been in Vienna), the world's largest 8-Bit gathering around the Commodore 64, containing the best rendition of Princess Leia's Theme on that little 3-voice synthesizer chip called SID since more than 35 years - all programming, animation and music crammed into 340 Kilobytes (!), a different (but fascinating, for me at least) world for sure: https://csdb.dk/release/?id=170922

Re-watching the live stream and hearing this rendition during the end credits scroll made me a bit melancholic again, (and reminded me of the LSO concert in 1996), BUT - I hope we will see each other in Vienna (again)!!!

40 minutes ago, Danimarin46 said:

Have all of you have the refund or are you still waiting too?

Daniel, I did receive my refund the day right before the concert. 😕

(It's a transfer to Austria though; not that difficult)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, Danimarin46 said:

I finally received the refund today!

Wow, better late than never...

12 hours ago, Saxbabe said:

I wonder how much far ahead notice there might be if/when its rescheduled?

...it would be nice if they would reach out to all those who bought tickets in the first place. Don't know if this is standard procedure, guess not.

Anyway, let us all hope for the best - it would be a dream come true, not only for our daughter (whom I wanted to introduce to such a magical, cherishable experience I already had once in my life; right in our home country and (one of the) cradle(s) - or should I say conception? - of film music to boot) but apparently for Maestro Williams as well! ;)

• 10 months later...
19 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

When you wish upon a star... @Marian Schedenig :john:

Pity there are all those presales and other shenanigans... chance of getting a ticket must be close to zero...

<looks at the Musikverein membership application prcedure>

<realizes that an application is possible, but sending a membership card would take too long>

:kaboom:

You can buy the membership now and the tickets on Tuesday, that's what I did last year; you don't need to have the physical card, it's all online :)

OMG! This is amazing! Except I'll be overseas when this goes on sale so the odds of me landing a ticket are... pretty much null. Didn't these sell out within a few minutes last year?

Very impressed that JW is attempting this again. Clearly a bucket list item he wants to cross off the list at all costs!

17 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

You can buy the membership now and the tickets on Tuesday, that's what I did last year; you don't need to have the physical card, it's all online :)

As a bonus, those who purchased membership last year and did not renew it, should be still able to get the pre-sale tickets as regular members...

5 minutes ago, Andrej said:

As a bonus, those who purchased membership last year and did not renew it, should be still able to get the pre-sale tickets as regular members...

Yeah, that's my case, gotta love Musikverein! Oh man, can't believe it's really happening.

I've just had an email from the Vienna Musikverein to confirm that the cancelled dates from last year have bveen rescheduled for january 2020. Here's the email...

Dear friends of music,

"A Tribute to John Williams" - under this title, the concert of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra which was scheduled for last year will take place on 18th and 19th of January 2020 at the Wiener Musikverein. We are pleased to announce the commitment of John Williams to perform selected highlights from his rich musical output with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

As a ticket purchaser of the cancelled concert from last November, we wanted to inform you, exclusively before the official release date on October 22, 2019, that the concerts will take place.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 09.00h (start of the general presale)

Concert tickets can be purchased at www.musikverein.at or in person / by telephone at the Konzertkassa of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde.

The two concert dates are:

Saturday, 18 January 2020 at 15.30

Sunday, 19 January 2020 at 11.00

We would be happy to welcome you to one of the two concerts at the Musikverein.

I AM SO EXCITED I'VE BEEN PLAYING HIS SONGS IN THE OFFICE AT A HORRIFICALLY UNACCEPTABLE VOLUME. EVERYONE HATES ME NOW.

Edit - I've seen it's been posted elsewhere, how can I delete this post?

What is the cost of membership and was the allocation exhausted before general public sales opened last year?

And how much are tickets likely to be once on sale?

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What is the cost of membership and was the allocation exhausted before general public sales opened last year?

And how much are tickets likely to be once on sale?

Membership for a year (minimum duration) is 70 €. There were some tickets left after the presale for members, but not many. Ticket prices varied from 50 € (obstructed view) to 250 €.

1 minute ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Membership for a year (minimum duration) is 70 €. There were some tickets left after the presale for members, but not many. Ticket prices varied from 50 € (obstructed view) to 250 €.

I can't quite work out the seating situation when you go to buy tickets.

https://www.musikverein.at/CustomResources/pdf/Saalplan/cacde015-795b-4492-a992-8bdaa43e2222.pdf

Do you just choose one of the 9 seating areas and they assign you the seat (so you could be in the dress circle or you could be up on the balcony, it's a lucky dip?)

3e45a5b8e10d75aa60180ad6b4767c4d.jpg

21 minutes ago, moz_1983 said:

I AM SO EXCITED I'VE BEEN PLAYING HIS SONGS IN THE OFFICE AT A HORRIFICALLY UNACCEPTABLE VOLUME. EVERYONE HATES ME NOW.

Well, songs aren't Williams' strong suit. You should play his film scores and concert works instead.