John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

2 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

I don't think we did, however, it's nice to know even after 14 years! :lol:

Funny how it's that concert, more than anything else, that repeatedly later turns out to be an instance of me being in the same room with people I'd only know years later.

15 minutes ago, hornist said:

It looks quite small, narrow hall but I think there are about 1700 seats and maybe few hundred standing places. Best hall I ever performed and it looks awesome. Too bad I'll lose again in the fight for the tickets...

"1744 seats and c. 300 standing", according to Wikipedia.

This is what it looks like from a rehearsal perspective.

27750875_10159921003195335_7711095061688313222_n.jpg

8 hours ago, Martyprod said:

Anyway, giving the Max Steiner award to Hans zimmer one month before John williams will perform in the same city (it's not the same orchestra and not the same hall) is kind of.. insult ? Joke ?

i know that sandra komet (producer of the vienna film festival) did this as a pure business move to have Zimmer in her pocket, to have more recording contract with remote control and for other reasons too as she's producing as well the european zimmer tour, but it's a kind of a shame. in my opinion...

the zimmer "party" will be broadasted on 35th Tv network, and what about ... Williams ?

and come on, Max Steiner award to... :(

there is still not an official williams concert conducted by him which has been filmed and released ! I hope one of the london or vienna concert will be filmed !

What an idiotic post. 

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Bothers me more and more as I get older, the people who treat film music (or any other artform) like sports teams.  To be rooted for and pitted against and trash talked.  Stop doing that!

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Sorry to come down so hard, Martyprod...but yeah. 

(I'm posting this message a bit edited that i sent to TGP in private on his suggestion).

I started to reply here publically, because it seems that everybody know me more than who i am... then i stopped. I have other stuff to do than justifying myself about what i wrote. Just look at the number of post i wrote, and i'm there since or close to date of the creation of jwfan...  and not someone who wrote 19235 posts...  i'm not one of these "bashing zimmer / one of those holdovers of JWFan  blablabla  :(". I didn't listened to any music since 10 years ! so i have other stuff to do or think than that !

(Can't beleive i'm trying to justify myself again...).

A small search in my signature will show that i recorded several tunes of Mr Zimmer, and they are all available publically...

I was just telling the irony about who was giving this award to and the name of the award !

Bashing (???) people who tell something about zimmer, and thinking immediatly that he's a crazy williams fan completly blind (in my case, it's "deaf", not "blind") who... whatever. sorry guys, but i'm not this kind of person.

And it will be very hard to find a post from me on this planet telling something bad about Michael Giacchino too as someone told it as i didn't listened to any music he did since 2009, but not only him, John williams music too, and in fact, anybody else as well !

Wow, this is pretty amazing news. After Zimmer was announced for Hollywood in Vienna, the thought didn't even occur to me that he would or could do something separately with the Philharmoniker.

There's no way I can afford, or have time to do both London and Vienna. October is insane enough as it is, and that's after skipping World Soundtrack Awards. Within two weeks, I have Williams/London, the Riga film festival, the Camille Award in Pula/Croatia, possbibly Zimmer/Vienna and a couple of Norwegian film festivals. I haven't even bought plane and accomodation tickets for any of these yet. But for Vienna residents like Marian, this must be the treat of a lifetime!

It does seem like Williams is doing his final European tour, like Cleese (jokingly) does with his current standup tour:

hqdefault.jpg

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

It does seem like Williams is doing his final European tour, like Cleese (jokingly) does with his current standup tour:

hqdefault.jpg

I'm attending his show this Friday, unless he becomes an ex-parrot by that time. ;)

Heads up re ticketing technology in Austria: The Hollywood in Vienna/Zimmer ticket presale completely overloaded the Konzerthaus website today. I spent two hours refreshing and reloading and clicking and never actually managed to get tickets into the basket and to checkout. A friend tried the same simultaneously AND on the phone as well, and after two hours finally managed to get through on the phone, where he was able to buy a rather expensive ticket for himself for the gala concert on Friday and two cheaper ones for me for Thursday (Friday was nearly sold out at that point, except for the top categories).

Or in other words, for those who complained about the RAH presale: That concert sold out, in a *mostly* fair and orderly manner, in half the time it took to even get through to the Konzerthaus today.

I expect the Wiener Philharmoniker concerts will sell out in a flash, too. I don't know how well the Musikverein website handles heavy load. I actually now expect to start queuing at the ticket office at midnight before the presale starts.

12 hours ago, publicist said:

@Marian: any idea when this will go into general sale?

The regular start of sale for a regular concert by the Musikverein would be 2 months before for members and one week later for everyone else. But then why would the the concert page say that presales are yet to be announced? Plus it seems to be a joint production between the Musikverein and the Philharmoniker themselves (who as far as I know only sell subscriptions and not individual concerts, but being announced just now, it's not part of any cycle of the next season). So I guess it could be anything.

Another thought: I've been trying to find a list of composers who have conducted the Vienna Philharmonic in their own works, but haven't found anything. I can't think of many - the few who come to mind who have or might have conducted their own works are Mahler, Strauss, Bernstein, Khatchaturian and Boulez. Quite a select club I'd say.

Marian, since the presale for members start at May 28, the BIG question is: How does one become a member? Registering on the website is enough?

13 hours ago, spanosd said:

Marian, since the presale for members start at May 28, the BIG question is: How does one become a member? Registering on the website is enough?

You have to go through an ancient ritual in order to get accepted.

46 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Who says it starts on May 28? I wasn't aware of any specific dates yet?

The concert webpage has been updated. Presale for Musikverein members starts on May 28. Sale for general audience on May 30.

https://www.musikverein.at/en/concert/eventid/37570

Oh wow.

You can get a Musikfreunde membership at the website for €72. I guess mine from the current season should still be fine for that.

And by the way, just in case I fail to get tickets of my own, anyone profiting from this info is morally obliged to sell me one of their tickets. ;) 

I was ready to go through an ancient ritual or swear my fealty and give my blood for the memory of Kaiser Franz Joseph, but 72 euros??!! PASS :)

Joking aside (and thanking Marian for the useful info), do you guys think the concert will sell out from members only? It's quite possible, since anyone can become a member.

6 hours ago, spanosd said:

do you guys think the concert will sell out from members only? It's quite possible, since anyone can become a member.

I don't know if there's a limit to the contingent of tickets available during the member-only sale. I'm not aware of one at least, and if there is none and most people serious about it get a membership, I rather expect it to sell out before it ever reaches the general sale.

2 hours ago, lester1231 said:

Just wondering how many tickits can bought as a member?

As far as I remember, four.

On 9. 5. 2018 at 11:57 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

You can get a Musikfreunde membership at the website for €72. I guess mine from the current season should still be fine for that.

And by the way, just in case I fail to get tickets of my own, anyone profiting from this info is morally obliged to sell me one of their tickets. ;) 

And I was just about to implore you to buy one for me if you get the chance! ;):D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, if anybody here would like to have some tickets I have 4 more on balconee - Face Value 35euro for each - I will sell one for 45euro. Those 10 euros are just a small part that will cover for me the membership that costed 75euros. The seats are: 

Kat. 7 - Orgelbalkon Links - Row: 1, Seat: 2 
35.00 €  - Sicht eingeschränkt 

Kat. 7 - Orgelbalkon Links - Row: 1, Seat: 3 
35.00 €  - Sicht eingeschränkt 

Kat. 7 - Orgelbalkon Links - Row: 2, Seat: 1 
35.00 €  - Keine Sicht zur Bühne 

Kat. 7 - Orgelbalkon Links - Row: 2, Seat: 2 
35.00 €  - Keine Sicht zur Bühne 

On 5/6/2018 at 1:45 PM, Sharky said:

Zimmer bashing as sport is one of those holdovers of JWFan Classic and one of the few bum notes (if you forgive the pun) in artyjeffrey's otherwise excellent Johnny & Jerry series.

Lol come on, that one's funny. The lowbrow absurdity of John and Jerry pissing childish graffiti undercuts the "Zimmer bashing"

When you've missed London and you're desperate, compared to the prices and risks at viagogo and so on, that is worth going for!

But let's be honest, when you know RAH that is an outstanding hall and you compare the original prices, something is definitely wrong....

17 minutes ago, fililando said:

Anyone here has experience with the organbalkon? It's 35 but it seems like there is no visibility at all..

Obviously (from 3D perspective) you get stuck between the organ pipes and walls. It looks like the visibility (and I guess the sound) will be highly limited.

12 minutes ago, Tigreg said:

When you've missed London and you're desperate, compared to the prices and risks at viagogo and so on, that is worth going for!

But let's be honest, when you know RAH that is an outstanding hall and you compare the original prices, something is definitely wrong....

Obviously (from 3D perspective) you get stuck between the organ pipes and walls. It looks like the visibility (and I guess the sound) will be highly limited.

Yeah, I messed up then! Well, at least I'll be there I guess :D 

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I hope they'll make a BluRay and CD out ot this outstanding event!

Two nights of recordings, that's enough to make a good edit.

One afternoon and one morning...;)

I hope your prophecy will come true!

Of course they'll release a blu-ray of it. That's why from the very beginning each of these concerts is advertised as TV Concert

1 hour ago, Tigreg said:

Not saying those tickets aren't very expensive (I did a double-take myself), but the Musikverein is an outstanding hall, too, and has far fewer seats than the RAH, which might impact the average cost per seat. And there's always standing-room tickets for 8€ ;)

If anyone wants me to book tickets for them I can book 2 more for the 3rd and also the 4th.

Let me know ASAP. 

I will need payment transferred as soon as I've booked. 

Just in case anyone is wanting to go and wants pre sale tickets. 

1 hour ago, ChrisAfonso said:

Not saying those tickets aren't very expensive (I did a double-take myself), but the Musikverein is an outstanding hall, too, and has far fewer seats than the RAH, which might impact the average cost per seat. And there's always standing-room tickets for 8€ ;)

RAH offers 5200 seats, whereas the golden hall is limited to 1700 seats... you might get the right answer Chris

53 minutes ago, PHOENIX said:

If anyone wants me to book tickets for them I can book 2 more for the 3rd and also the 4th.

Let me know ASAP. 

I will need payment transferred as soon as I've booked. 

Just in case anyone is wanting to go and wants pre sale tickets. 

Message sent!