The Color Purple VS. Bridge of Spies vs. Ready Player One

Josh500

The Color Purple VS. Bridge of Spies vs. Ready Player One  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do you wish JW had written the score for the most?

• The Color Purple
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Ready Player One
  2. 2. Which movie do you like best?

• The Color Purple
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Ready Player One
    • I haven't seen all 3 movies.
  3. 3. Which score do you like best?

• The Color Purple
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Ready Player One
    • I haven't listened to all 3 scores.

Which movie do you wish JW had written the score for the most?

The Color Purple.  It's the best overall film of the bunch and would have provided the best dramatic potential for Williams.  That being said, I love Quincy Jones' score.  Bridge of Spies would have made for a decent (if short) Americana/thriller score but not too different from anything we would have had before (in fact, I'd say last year's The Post pretty much fills all the check-marks BoS would have).  Ready Player One would have been cool but I'm not at all dissatisfied with Silvestri's work.

Which movie do you like best?

The Color Purple

Which score do you like best?

1. Ready Player One

2. Bridge of Spies

3. The Color Purple

They're all great though

21 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

All three movies are far from perfect and do not reach the niveau of Empire of the Sun, Lincoln or War Horse.

Incorrect.

Ready Player One is a shitshow but the other two are both capital G Great Movies

On JWFan at least, Bridge of Spies continues to be Spielberg’s most underrated movie.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

All three movies are far from perfect and do not reach the niveau of Empire of the Sun, Lincoln or War Horse.

Lincoln is pious, stagy, loquacious, PBS tripe.

I definitely can respond to grandiloquence when done well.  And boy does Williams do it well.  Thomas Newman is particularly good too when called upon to provide it.

I guess I just don't have the same sensitivity to it that you do.  Which is not to say that such self-importance never rings false to me, just not usually from Spielberg or Williams.

10 hours ago, Sharky said:

Even Williams can go overboard, as with moments in Empire of the Sun ...

Why do you think Williams goes overboard in Empire Of The Sun but not in E.T. or Close Encounters?! :nono:

13 hours ago, Sharky said:

The Color Purple is top 5 Spielberg and Quincy's score doesn't get enough love.

I agree with you on that. I wish they did more projects together.

Color Purple, all the way. The film has its problems but compared to the empty spectacle of RPO and the numbingly opportunistic BoS, it's 'Lawrence of Arabia'. 

DUEL! ;)

I had three different responses for the three questions: READY PLAYER ONE for 1, BRIDGE OF SPIES for 2 and THE COLOR PURPLE for 3. I like all films and scores, though.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

DUEL! ;)

Duel is... Well, that's before Spielberg discovered JW. Somehow I can't even imagine that movie with a JW score. Besides, that was originally "only" a made-for-TV movie.

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Duel is... Well, that's before Spielberg discovered JW. Somehow I can't even imagine that movie without a JW score. Besides, that was originally "only" a made-for-TV movie.

Yeah, I know (although, to be precise, it wasn't before Spielberg discovered JW, but before they met. And the movie was screened and adapted for the big screen in Europe). Still, I would have loved to see Williams do a gritty score like Goldenberg's, with his sentiment at the time. I'm convinced it would have been a proto-JAWS-type score.

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Why do you think Williams goes overboard in Empire Of The Sun but not in E.T. or Close Encounters?! :nono:

With E.T. and CE3K the bombastic wonderment is largely contained to their final acts--a fully earned payoff to hours of chromatic tension. With Empire of the Sun, Williams and Spielberg stage far too many false climaxes to the point where at the final reel, the audience is left as emotionally battered and shell-shocked as Jim. I call it... Premature Symphonic Ejaculation (PSE).

There should be an "I haven't seen all three films" option available.  I haven't seen all 3 films so I can't really vote in your poll accurately.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

There should be an "I haven't seen all three films" option available.  I haven't seen all 3 films so I can't really vote in your poll accurately.

Done.

18 hours ago, Richard said:

The climactic scene of THE COLOR PURPLE works well, with THE ANCESTRAL HOME playing under it.

From The River?