SPOILER TALK: Solo: A Star Wars Story

John

I love it too. It's not for all audiences, it's for fans, and particulary UE fans.

Bring back Maul at the end is AWESOME, Kennedy put the balls on the table.

Much better like TLJ.

There’s definitely a Maul/Qi-ra/Han sequel set up because of this and I am down for it .

The film is chock full of fan service and Easter eggs (most of which will mean nothing to you but not in a bad way if you haven’t read EU stuff)

49EBAFCB-980E-47A3-80D3-BC6BBCF81ECA.jpeg

ABA6343F-3820-4BC4-8186-F337D36766BB.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I think I'm entitled to call a film boring when I'm bored for most of its runtime.

Sure, absolutely. I just found it an odd criticism for a film like this. But hey, whatever gets your mojo going (or not).

All I can say is that as someone who's never voluntarily seen a Star Wars movie before, I really enjoyed it. At the very least, it made me care enough about Chewie to keep forgetting this is a prequel so obviously he'd be fine! Within the film, his theme was what grabbed my ears the most.

I don't know if the internet had spoiled that already, but I was surprised and happy to see Warwick Davis in this!

I quite liked it! And there were a couple of callbacks I thought were quite cleverly done:

-The Falcon loses all the 'new pieces' during the Kessel Run. The one that I was expecting was for the Falcon to lose its dish while Han was flying it: it provided a nice symmetry of Lando's piloting the Falcon in ROTJ through a gap that knocks the dish off the Falcon. Much more appropriate callback than the one in TLJ.

-The 'angry Han' at the end of the film mirrors Lando doing the same thing to Han in Empire.

I also knew that 'closure' in the Falcon was an attachment of some kind of attachment that would be lost during the film.

Just saw this, and am sitting waiting for Deadpool to start.

I had heard a few days ago about a “secret cameo that doesn’t make timeline sense.”  Unfortunately I spoiled it by figuring it out about fifteen minutes before the movie started!  I think the Maul thing is neat, but did it need to be there?  Probably not.  It’s dropped in without any meaning.  My guess is that it will either confuse viewers or they won’t remember who he is, for the most part.  Neat that Star Wars appears much more willing to acknowledge its non-film canon than Marvel, which will almost certainly never look anything major from the numerous Defenders series, Agents of SHIELD, or Inhumans - despite the fact that  the many super-powered members would certainly help in a Thanos-type situation.

I can’t imagine, even in the event of a “sequel,” that Han Solo will run across a dark force user wielding a lightsaber.  If anything, we’ll see a Q’ira book or comic.

Anyway, thought it was a lot of fun.  Kind of bummed that Val and the four-armed guy bite it in the first quarter of the movie. Uh oh next movie is starting, be back later, byeeeeeeeee

I enjoyed the film. I thought it was fun and light hearted. Ehrenreich and Glover were great. 

Its certainly an improvement over The Last Jedi. 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

My guess is that it will either confuse viewers or they won’t remember who he is, for the most part.

Yeah, probably. But they're doing more Han movies, and it's in synch with the animated shows, apparently, so it will be explained properly later on.

They definitely haven’t confirmed any other Han movies.  The only officially confirmed projects are Rian Johnson’s trilogy , the Game of Throne guys’ movie series, the new Resistance cartoon, and Jon Favreau’s TV show.

Hollywood Reporter is a decent source so I’d expect maybe a 80% chance that they’re accurate re: a Mangold Boba Fett movie.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

They definitely haven’t confirmed any other Han movies.

Hollywood Reporter is a decent source so I’d expect [...] a Boba Fett movie.

What if they're not separate? ;) 

I think any of the above (except IX) could really be a continuation of the surviving characters from Solo, honestly.  

I think if we see another Han/Chewie movie, it’ll be about Jabba/Tatooine.  I doubt Han will interact with Maul in any meaningful way.

I think we’ve seen the last of his interactions with Lando until Empire, and Q’ira is on a separate path - and of the above projects, it may be the Favreau TV show.  Or books and comics.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yeah, probably. But they're doing more Han movies, and it's in synch with the animated shows, apparently, so it will be explained properly later on.

Or the characters from this film will appear in other stuff, Marvel-style.

Karol

Well, the whole last part of the movie is construed in a way that opens up for a sequel (and not only the Darth Maul bit), so I would be very, very surprised if one doesn't happen.

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The ending of Rogue One was so obviously a set-up for a sequel.

Agreed. I was upset that we didn't find out what they ended up doing with the Death Star plans 🤓.

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think if we see another Han/Chewie movie, it’ll be about Jabba/Tatooine.  I doubt Han will interact with Maul in any meaningful way.

Indeed, also because in episode IV Han does not believe in Force, Force users, Jedi etc.

The problem with that is that Rebels has the resolution to the Maul/Obi-Wan arc, with the implication that until that time, Maul had no idea where Kenobi was.

I think its more likely that Maul and Qi'ra will feature in the Boba film or something else than a Kenobi film. But, maybe Han will be in the Boba film?

Han is going to Tatooine. Boba does some work for Jabba. All underworld stuff. 

Maul is in charge of a crime syndicate. Possibly a Hutt Cartell v Crimson Dawn storyline with Boba as the main character? You could feature Han, Qi'ra, and Maul in that. 

On 22/5/2018 at 4:03 PM, Thor said:

As someone who hasn't seen any of the animated shows, it was a HUGE surprise to see Darth Maul's return in the film this morning. I literally scratched my head in the auditorium, and wondered how they would account for that towards the end. Then there was no explanation, at which point I remembered this was only the first of several SOLO films. In either case, I'm curious to see how they'll account for that.

My first reaction was to call it a huge plot hole (just because we are so used to continuity errors between prequels and OT  :lol: ), but then I realized that it would have been a bit too much even for Star Wars, so it had to be intentional. They need to explain it in a reasonable way in the next movies. Anyway, if they start resurrecting people, they will really cross a line beyond which they could be justified to literally do anything with no rules (a line they have already partially crossed several times in the past, with the properties of the Force, but not to this point)!

Of course, in the real world, a person can perhaps survive severed legs, but could he survive just being a torso (without genitals or a digestive system)? And what is the timeframe one would need to save that person's life after such an injury? These are the crucial  medical questions we must ask! ;) 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Of course, in the real world, a person can perhaps survive severed legs, but could he survive just being a torso (without genitals or a digestive system)? And what is the timeframe one would need to save that person's life after such an injury? These are the crucial  medical questions we must ask! ;) 

Maybe Darth Maul's vital parts were all in the upper part of his body (he is not exactly human, as far as I know), so he could do without the lower part... ok, it must be this. It makes sense now.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not to mention the long drop. He would have reached terminal velocity at that height.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Of course, in the real world, a person can perhaps survive severed legs, but could he survive just being a torso (without genitals or a digestive system)?

Aren't lightsaber supposed to cauterize wounds? That would prevent the potential lethal blood loss.

I know the tarantula-faced guy's bleeding arm in ANH is a glaring discrepancy, although this video proposes that he had an open circulatory system like a spider's.

Maybe Maul used his tremendous upper body strength (plus the force) to grasp onto something on the shaft wall (and dislocating his shoulders), or perhaps he was sucked up by an exhaust pipe like Luke on Cloud City?

So far, Solo is bombing at the BO. I cant imagine Disney will continue this series when it may not even break even. They should have pushed this back to December.

On 2018. 05. 23. at 6:33 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I remember seeing this in the movie thread.

image.jpeg

Well...

display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e789

At least it got a little cameo, it's in the recruitment video.

Anyone else notice the golden idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark and the crystal skull from the EU novel Han Solo and the Lost Legacy in Dryden's study?

solo easter eggs.jpg

2 hours ago, John said:

Anyone else notice the golden idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark and the crystal skull from the EU novel Han Solo and the Lost Legacy in Dryden's study?

solo easter eggs.jpg

I did notice the latter but not the former.

There's multiple reasons as to why Solo is underperforming: strong competition with Infinity War and Deadpool 2, not enough hype generated, and viewer caution because of Disney swapping directors in the middle of production. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual quality of Solo; most people seem to agree it's a pretty good flick. I just think most casual moviegoers weren't expecting this movie at all.

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Didn't notice that.

It was split-second, appeared between two Star Destroyers, seen more from the front than on this image so it was harder to recognise.

Liked how Han shot first and they didn't turn it into a joke or a one-liner!

Liked Lando a lot, i will be watching TESB with a different eye now. 

Well directed without being visually amazing. I did buy the universe it was set in. Ron Howard is a safe pair of hands for Star Wars.

The score. Mixed lower than I would have liked. But it works great! Manages to sound SW like, without being John Williamsy. John Powell was the right choice for this.