SPOILER TALK: Solo: A Star Wars Story

John

7 hours ago, John said:

I like how when C-3PO in Empire Strikes Back mentions to Han “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect”, he's now actually referring to L3, having been integrated into the Falcon's hardware in Solo.

The only problem is that she really didn't have a peculiar dialect. Maybe peculiar for a spaceship?

3 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Having a hard time with this - what moments in the film specifically does “The Good Guy” represent?

Good question. 

Maybe I should ask in the score thread, but I was hesitant since I presume it is late in the film and would feature spoilers...  I think it is two cues from different parts of the film together.

Admittedly I haven’t listened to the score album yet, but given its name and its placement, I’d imagine it’s the scene on the Falcon where Qi’ra tells Han that he’s different, he’s the good guy.  Possibly tied to the action sequence(s) immediately adjacent.

I’ve seen a post from Fal somewhere that track is a composite of three different cues. The chronological order of the album should be:

[02-12]

13 Break Out
15 Reminiscence Therapy
16 Into the Maw
14A The Good Guy [0:00-1:51]
17 Savareen Stand-Off
14B+C The Good Guy [1:51-5:24]
19 Testing Allegiance
18 Good Thing You Were Listening
20 Dice & Roll

• 2 weeks later...

I heard (from I don't know how reliable a source) that Lord and Miller had queefing jokes in their version. Since Kasdan seems more of a dry wit guy, and I don't know much about Howard's humour, which scenes/jokes in the movie could be remainders from the "funny guys' " days? Lando having implied sex with a droid? The Falcon's reveal brought down by it being impounded for illegal parking with a bigass chain around a landing gear?

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Since Kasdan seems more of a dry wit guy

Is he though? If you take a good look at Empire Strikes Back it has quite effective humor. Granted, Leigh Bracket might have been responsible for a lot of that - namely, the interaction between Leia and Han.

I kind of included humorous banter into that in my head. That's not outright gags or point-at-them-and-say-that's-funny moments, this flows organically from the characters' personalities.

Which is why it works so marvelously in one the series' darkest entries. But than, Kasdan co-wrote Return of the Jedi where that counter-balancing of humor and suspense isn't nearly as effective; although I guess I can't blame him when his co-writer was George Lucas.

Even in Raiders, the other big Kasdan flick, I don't remember outright jokes outside of obvious setpiece gags - which may or may not have been improvised by the actors. Most of the time it's Indy reacting to things or Sallah saying things like "Asps. Very dangerous. You go first.", which I don't classify as outright jokes, but character moments which happen to be funny.

With TFA, there was more of a move to lines mostly intended to just be funny, but most of the humour is still like that - characters reacting to the circumstances in humorous ways ("So who talks first? You talk first?" "You need a pilot!" "I need a pilot." "The garbage will do!" "The one I'm pointing to. No, no, no."). 

Now in Solo, which you haven't seen, I remember multiple jokes (like the ones I listed) which are not much like this style of humour, but would perhaps be more in line with L&M's sensiilities, and was interested whether others agree or we could find more examples. 

With the Falcon one, the humour is NOT in the characters reacting to it - Lando just says "Oh man, I don't believe this", there's a two minute discussion what they will do now, then they order Chewie to break it off, it's just painfully uninteresting - but just the absurd, almost stupid visual of the Falcon being held down by a giant chain around the landing gear.

To go ahead of accusations that I try to overanalyse humour and that's why I didn't enjoy Solo - until about a day ago, this was all just a subconscious bugging that something was off about some of the jokes. And that's not to say it's a main drawback or it's the majority of the humour - there was a fair bit of nice banter which worked fine, some that was more unnatural or just not funny, and a few weird gags.

I'm now reminded of a Kershner quote - "I had to have humour, but I couldn't have gags" - because until Jedi, and after Sith, that's not what Star Wars was and is.