SPOILER TALK: Solo: A Star Wars Story

John

Was Enfys Nest supposed to.... be somebody?  The movie seemed to think the reveal when she removed the helmet was supposed to be a gasp moment.  If the only surprise was that she was a young woman.... ok?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Was Enfys Nest supposed to.... be somebody?  The movie seemed to think the reveal when she removed the helmet was supposed to be a gasp moment.  If the only surprise was that she was a young woman.... ok?

I guess because we were all supposed to think it was this big evil male alien guy, and then the reveal that it was just a young human female that's with the rebellion all along. Something like that.

That's about my main problem with the movie. I think the script could have been fine, but none of it had any real emotional power or kick, even most of the action fell flat for me.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I guess because we were all supposed to think it was this big evil male alien guy, and then the reveal that it was just a young human female that's with the rebellion all along. Something like that.

Yes!

Like Rey and Jynn.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

That's the whole movie in a nutshell. It feels like it was slapped together by Ron Howard after the original directors were fired and you end up with a ton of awkward ineffective moments and lack of audience interest. It seemed to me like the first hour was the vision of the original directors and they were rightfully fired. Hour 2 was the wink nudgey Ron Howard contribution. An improvement, but still fairly boring.

I fell asleep during the first 45 minutes. There were some nice moments, but boy did this one fall flat.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I had heard before the movie about a big shocking cameo, so with the build-up, I was expecting that to be it.  But nah, I think it's just what Manakin said - the reveal is that it's a young girl.

I did personally, but I could see how the build-up might lead you to expect something more Significant in the grander saga sense.

I think the movie had a ton of connections to other stuff, but somehow still managed to avoid the small universe feeling that the prequels sometimes bred.  Even with the Darth Maul thing, since that was just on the periphery.  If Enfys Nest had removed her helmet and turned out to be, like, Greedo or something, that would have probably knocked it off the tightrope for me.

The three things I did not like about Solo:

1. That lame gag at the beginning of the movie where the droid guard gets decapitated by Han's speeder. Too prequel-esque, and at odds with the desperate tone of the opening chase scene.

2. Visually, the movie is way too dark. At times, I felt myself straining my eyes to make out what was happening on screen. Fortunately, it clears up a bit later on. Least attractive of the new Disney Star Wars movies so far.

3. Maul's reveal as Dryden's boss. An unbelievably dumb move by the Kasdans, bringing back one of the most shallow and wasted characters in the franchise, and it only serves to further convolute the new canon timeline.

You weren't bothered by the cutesy "Oh that's how he got his name!" crap?  Or "Chewbacca? You're gonna need a nickname."  Answers to questions no one ever asked, done in a way that couldn't be more eyerolling.

2 minutes ago, John said:

2. Visually, the movie is way too dark. At times, I felt myself straining my eyes to make out what was happening on screen. Fortunately, it clears up a bit later on. Least attractive of the new Disney Star Wars movies so far.

Agreed. It may have had something to do with the 3D conversion, but it's a bit dark.

2 minutes ago, John said:

3. Maul's reveal as Dryden's boss. An unbelievably dumb move by the Kasdans, bringing back one of the most shallow and wasted characters in the franchise, and it only serves to further convolute the new canon timeline.

Why do you assume it's the Kasdan's that came up with that idea? and why is bringing back a character who you describe as 'wasted" a bad idea?

12 minutes ago, John said:

1. That lame gag at the beginning of the movie where the droid guard gets decapitated by Han's speeder. Too prequel-esque, and at odds with the desperate tone of the opening chase scene.

No memory of that one.

12 minutes ago, John said:

That's true, and I saw it in 2D. Can't imagine how people saw anything in the first 40 minutes with an additional dark filter in front of their eyes.

13 minutes ago, John said:

Seeing it in context, I also think it was dumb. For those of us who knew he was alive, it added nothing to it at all, and for the others... I saw it with a friend who loves SW but he wasn't intrigued, thrilled and excited, just confused: how and more importantly, why?

19 minutes ago, John said:

I had a real problem with this, especially for the first ten minutes or so when they are in the dark.

19 minutes ago, John said:

Well, it wasn't the Kasdans' doing.  George Lucas mandated to Clone Wars staff that he would be brought back to life like 10 years ago.  It's something that likely doesn't seem weird to young fans, since Maul was around for three seasons of Clone Wars and two seasons of Rebels.  The fact that they decided to drop him into a big movie without any explanation to the non-hardcore adult fan, though, seems a bit weird.

As a more hardcore fan, or at least one who watches the TV shows and reads the occasional book, I'm glad that they're not afraid to dip into the well of the larger universe for these movies, though.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why do you assume it's the Kasdan's that came up with that idea?

Was it not the Kasdans who wrote the movie's script? And I've heard that it was John Kasdan who had the idea to bring back Maul in the first place. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

and why is bringing back a character who you describe as 'wasted" a bad idea?

Until Solo, I was able to live peacefully in a vacuum from the cartoon shows, but unfortunately, now I have to accept it. It's just blatant, nonsensical fan pandering; i.e. find a fan favorite character who is obviously dead, and bring him back. Yes, he was revived in an animated cartoon for children, but now it’s in the movies and it’s gonna be a little confusing, especially for casual fans who haven't watched said cartoons. Most Solo moviegoers are either not going to know who this guy is at all, or will be confused because they saw this guy get cut in half and fall down a bottomless pit way back in The Phantom Menace, and hasn't been seen in the movies since.

Another issue I have with his cameo; what is the point of igniting his lightsaber if it's just a message to Qi'ra? Is he threatening her? That's like pointing a gun to my smartphone camera during a Skype call; it's stupid and if Star Wars has any issue it's that moviemakers make questionable decisions like this one.

The Darth Maul cameo was pretty bad. Was this the part GL directed? They didn't even bother filming him. It looked like obvious computer animation.

Look, I wanted to enjoy Solo and there's some good stuff in there, but it just doesn't come together and ultimately it's a story that wasn't in any way compelling or apparently worth telling. Rogue One had the same problem, but I was never interested in seeing it. They're both boring for significant chunks, but Solo at least had more fun characters and moments. With R1, it was just that slapped on finale that attempted to inject some actual fun into an otherwise dreadfully dull flick.

My theory is that Ron Howard slapped on the second hour of Solo that I managed to stay awake through. The first hour was just awful. They should have ditched everything and gone back to formula rather than attempt to salvage it.

15 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The Darth Maul cameo was pretty bad. Was this the part GL directed?

Lucas was there for the filming of the first kiss in Lando's closet.  The script had Han taking Qi'ra's cape and hanging it up, and it was Lucas's idea to have Han take it and throw it to the ground.  Howard liked the idea and used it when he directed the scene.

It was a good note - got a good laugh from me!

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

It looked like obvious computer animation.

I'm pretty sure that was actually filmed and Nick Ray Park did return to the role, different voice from Phantom Menace though.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm pretty sure that was actually filmed and Nick Park did return to the role, different voice from Phantom Menace though.

Yeah, I'm wondering why they used a different voice actor. What's wrong with the physical actor's own voice anyway? Is it not sufficiently menacing, or does he have a weird accent?

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I'm wondering why they used a different voice actor. What's wrong with the physical actor's own voice anyway? Is it not sufficiently menacing, or does he have a weird accent?

Sam Witwer is the voice actor who has performed Maul since his resurrection.

The original voice actor (Peter Serafinowicz, who is best known for his comedy work) has made it known how disappointed he was with TPM, and the racist caricatures it held.  So it's possible that he didn't want to come back, or he had burnt that bridge. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/darth-maul-voice-actor-on-the-crushing-203508537.html

I would like to see a fan version that isn’t so dark and colorless.

Three “dramatic” moments that really misfired for me:

1. L3’s death - was played straight as a big emotional death; we had no attachment to that silly character, and thought it ludicrous that it was given such gravitas

2. Enfys Nest takes off her helmet - this was played as if it were a big dramatic reveal, but we were like, what?? Is it his daughter or something? Are we supposed to know who it is? Apparently it was just supposed to be a big “gotcha” that it was a girl not a man. I find it hard to believe anyone would be really surprised anymore at a masked individual being revealed to be female. What really sucked about this is that she and her gang were really awesome before this moment, and after this point they just sort of stood around looking sad the rest of the movie. Yes, I get the overall point is that you think Woody is the good guy and Enfys is the bad guy, and this is the point where it starts to flip; I just think the removal of the mask in and of itself was just a silly moment. BTW, I think the real “cameo” was one of her gang played by Warwick Davis.

3. Darth Maul, of course - Come on, it’s fine to make cartoons about him or whatever, but in the movie series it really jerks you out of the universe. Because the way he was killed off in TPM was about as final a death as you can come up with, as if to say HE’S REALLY REALLY NOT COMING BACK. Also, the way he ignites his lightsaber just for coolness factor. Also, the fact that the Sith and the Duel of the Fates feel so out of place in this movie about thieves.

Just now, Pellaeon said:

1. L3’s death - was played straight as a big emotional death; we had no attachment to that silly character, and thought it ludicrous that it was given such gravitas

That was great! Because i loved the character.

I like how when C-3PO in Empire Strikes Back mentions to Han “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect”, he's now actually referring to L3, having been integrated into the Falcon's hardware in Solo.

Some of her lines got a small chuckle, and she was extremely well rendered and animated - I first thought she was a full-scale puppet TPM 3PO-style!

Other than that, the most interesting thing about her is what 3PO says in Empire: "Sir, I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has the most peculiar dialect."

Damnit, took too long to post it again! :D

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That was great! Because i loved the character.

It was also great because it showed that Lando really cared for "her", and that she wasn't just being conceited. I also loved Enfys Nest taking off the helmet.

The character at face value was fine - but I loved how the character spiraled the whole Kessel operation out of control by accidentally starting a droid revolution.  Lots of really funny shots related to that, too.

Chewie and his Wookie family jumping in to save Han was sweet, especially with Chewie's theme blasted as heroic fanfare.

I mean, yeah, it's the origin story, of course Han was going to be fine, but the moment was nice and I got caught up in it.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ray Park has a high-ish voice, and a thick Scottish accent.