Jerry Goldsmith's BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND (2018 remastered edition by Intrada)

Jay

I was doing an A & B comparison with the old and new edition of BABY via online samples and the difference is light and day. There is more dynamic punch and the old samples sounded brick walled to me. Definitely getting an upgrade to this.

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Glad to see there are others here who also consider this score brilliant. I think it's one of the very best things he did in the last deade of his life. I think I may like it best of all his Dante scores with the exception of The 'Burbs, which let's be honest is pretty hard to beat!

I'd hesitate to label Nemesis overall as "GREAT!" but it certainly has some truly great parts...the actiony second half of Odds &I Ends and the end credits development of Shinzon's Theme in particular.

Sum of All Fears I'd describe as competent and effective...with the exception of the brilliant main title sequence which is perhaps one of his greatest compositions ever.

What do you think of Hollow Man, Last Castle and Timeline?

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

What do you think of Hollow Man, Last Castle and Timeline?

Hollow Man initially underwhelmed me somewhat (though I liked it better than Along Came A Spider) but I appreciate it a LOT more after enjoying Jerry's commentary track with complete isolated score (buy the DVD with it -- it's SUPER cheap and worth every penny!) Timeline I find pretty impressive if not quite top-drawer Goldsmith like, say, Lionheart. Last Castle is less impressive perhaps but somehow I enjoy it more...it plays kind of like a subdued Rambo IV to me...like if John Rambo was the character who went to prison. :) (It features further development of some of the new thematic material from Rambo III.) It's very understated for the most part but I really like it. I also think that other folks will reassess their opinion of this score if Intrada or LLL gets around to an expanded edition. Aside from including other good cues left off, there is also a superior revised film version of at least one cue (maybe two...it's either The Rock Pile or The Flag or both) whereas the more subdued album version is what most people know. Aside from I think not mentioning the alternate(s), DeputyRiley at FSM did an excellent complete score breakdown -- over 20 minutes of score missing, at least: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110369&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

13 hours ago, Amer said:

I was doing an A & B comparison with the old and new edition of BABY via online samples and the difference is light and day. There is more dynamic punch and the old samples sounded brick walled to me. Definitely getting an upgrade to this.

I'll have to get it then.

Doug Fake wrote a detailed reply to someone at the Intrada board asking why the original album was not from these superior sources:

We do strive for the best available elements... and what we used way back when were in fact the "best available elements" we had. Disney authorized the handful of CDs given out at Jerry's 1993 "Tribute" dinner in which a suite we assembled was included, but that was the extent of their involvement. It was upon us to locate whatever materials we could find to prepare the suite. Jerry really wanted the sampler CD to happen and sent us his own DAT transfer. Later on, when our partnership with Disney began, we made a beeline for properly releasing the entire score. Since our relationship with Disney was still being nurtured, we didn't have access to the actual session multi-tracks, just Jerry's old transfer albeit now fully licensed. When I recently determined there were significant pitch issues with Jerry's DAT, especially with that lengthy final cue, I was frustrated. As an aside, we didn't have access to Disney's session paperwork back then, so we didn't have the proper cue titles as per their publishing branch.

So... now having our relationship with Disney in full swing, and having earned access to their huge vaults, it was a no-brainer for me to re-license the score, obtain Disney's full session masters (and those correct cue titles) and re-release the best possible version we could... at the correct pitch. Even if no one else took the plunge, I was willing to pay a sizeable fee just to get my own copy at least. Lol!!

In the world of DVDs, Blu-rays and soundtracks all regularly getting new facelifts, Baby seemed like a worthy score to add to that growing list. In this case, because re-mastering also meant fixing a pitch issue, I figured re-visiting the score was worthwhile for everyone so interested, especially those folks who are fans of Goldsmith's incomparable Rambo-style action music. I hope that explains it. --Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7814

I definitely think this is worth the upgrade and I applaud Intrada for producing this improvement roughly a decade after their prior release -- also important for all the folks who missed out on that, of course!

Yavar

Hopefully, that's the only expansion of a Goldsmith score with these issues. The sound difference is huge, so I will buy the new release ... if Intrada promises to give us a new expansion.;)

If the relationship between Intrada and Disney is that good, they will maybe let Intrada do Mulan.

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Timeline I find pretty impressive if not quite top-drawer Goldsmith like, say, Lionheart.

Everyone says that about Lionheart. I finally want to get a proper release of that score.

Me too on this @Yavar Moradiand @Brundlefly. The sonic upgrade is definitively something that has edged my agenda to get this on my next order. I did an A & B test on the samples and the sound was staggering on the new edition. The old album somehow sounds brickwalled.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party on this (other items took priority), but I never had the original release.

That plus the better sourcing and correct speed have put this high on my want list.

We'll see what next month brings.

Is this a case like that ridiculous monkey movie score where you had members here ironically claiming it to be one of JG's best scores and then I listen to it and turn it off, never to listen to it again?

14 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Congo is excellent! Where's your Spirit of Africa?

Sorry, I somehow don't find anything to appreciate about Congo. It's possibly my least favourite Goldsmith score. But my Spirit of Africa exists. You just have to go one year further in the Goldsmith catalogue.

Listened to this one today, having arrived a couple days ago.

S'alright. Baby's theme is overutilized but cute, and the syth sounds like it's trying to imitate tropical birds chirping. Action music is decent.

If anyone wants to take this off my hands for 15 bucks, I'd oblige.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Phooey! Glad I kept the rest of the score backed up rather than deleting the whole thing before selling the physical copy! Listened to this a few times today on a whim. 

Weirdly is suddenly really growing on me. Baby's theme is an adorable catchy thing, the action cues are glorious (Mother is Free is a minor masterwork as far as Goldsmith action goes and a stupendous climax), and I love the syths used in this as a means of providing some colorful rainforest atmosphere (the syths at times seem to be imitating the sound of bird calls). I love the contrast between the cutesy Baby theme and the muscular action music.  At 53 minutes, a perfect runtime too. The end credits comes in just before the score can wear out its welcome. And hot diggety damn, that spectacular finish! The only odd aspect is that Goldsmith doesn't score the main titles, but the score finds its footing by The Family, with cues getting longer from then on. 

There's a really goofy syth noise in Food Time that cracks me up every time. Whether or not Goldsmith intended to make me laugh, I don't know, but 1:05 sounds like the dinosaur farted or burped or something.  

Not top shelf Goldsmith or anything, but who sez it has to be? It's just fun! I'd probably at least rank it higher than Congo and behind Ghost and the Darkness as far as Goldsmith jungle romps go.

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

There's a really goofy syth noise in Food Time that cracks me up every time. Whether or not Goldsmith intended to make me laugh, I don't know, but 1:05 sounds like the dinosaur farted or burped or something.

Do you mean that cheap sounding square synth that is distorted towards the end like an electric guitar?

I've actually enjoyed the main Baby theme more than the action material.  It's so quirky and distinct.  "Baby's Alive" is a beautiful piece of music, and I love the sentimental iterations Goldsmith puts the Baby theme through.

• 1 year later...

Heads up...

For those that care about such things, Disney has released this for streaming and download purchase. It appears to be the remastered 2018 edition.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/baby-secret-lost-legend-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1511586029

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bmbzyywbyjzd5fuqvgzq6e5wbvm

https://open.spotify.com/album/0QM4b47C38p1sLXwBxbNI6?si=FEB6uPlpQAK052uwtUgHKw

Disney seems to be stepping up their download game. First Duck Tales, now this. I wonder what else they have snuck out there?