Lando: A Star Wars Story

Nick1Ø66

Yep, apparently maybe they might be doing it but not officially yet so sorta who knows.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy made some potentially crucial comments when speaking at the Solo: A Star Wars Story premiere at the Cannes Film Festival. There, Kennedy teased (with a fair amount of certainty) the identity of the next character to receive the spinoff treatment. As she explained to Premiere (by way of Google Translate):

“We think the next spin-off will be dedicated to Lando Calrissian. Of course, there are still many stories to tell about Han and Chewbacca, but Lando will be next.

Viva la Lando!

Lando.png

14 minutes ago, mstrox said:

That was debunked as a mistranslation by a French interviewer at Cannes.

http://clubjade.net/adventures-in-mistranslation-no-one-has-confirmed-a-young-lando-film/

But I love Donald Glover, and I love Lando, so bring it on.

Ah, too bad.  Reading it again, I can see where it might be bad translation.  Though given Glover's popularity and praise for his portrayal, I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. I'm sure they're talking about it.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

He seems to be a hot as both an actor, producer, musician.

And a writer and a director!  He does both on his TV series, Atlanta.

It's like he's the new Louis CK in terms of being a comedian renaissance man.  Let's hope there's no skeletons in the closet like with Louis......

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And a writer and a director!  He does both on his TV series, Atlanta.

It's like he's the new Louis CK in terms of being a comedian renaissance man.  Let's hope there's no skeletons in the closet like with Louis......

AND he's apparently pansexual! What's not to like?!

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

He should have been the Benicio Del Toro character.  

That wouldn't have worked at all with the point Johnson was trying to make with that character for Finn.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That wouldn't have worked at all with the point Johnson was trying to make with that character for Finn.

Yeah well it's not as if that was a crucial beat in the film...the entire sequence was more or less disposable, so why not use the opportunity to throw Lando into the mix?

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

the entire sequence was more or less disposable

Sigh.

Just now, Bilbo said:

Give me the Naboo scenes from attack of the Clones over Canto Bite any day of the week! And twice on Sundays!

Sigh.

It was a hamfisted attempt and getting his own political beliefs into the film (which I’m not opposed to but the sequence was just overlong and dull)

3 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Without Canto Bight, we wouldn't have the Fathiers music.

Meh.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They don't understand the film, dude!

I understand the film just fine and really like the vast majority of it but Canto Bite was included so people had a designated time to go to the bathroom 

4 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Without Canto Bight, we wouldn't have the Fathiers music.

Just CGI them onto the rock island as freaky mountain goats, and bob's yer uncle, still have your music.

It's inconsequential to the overall plot, though. There's a bit of character development with Finn, but it was not a very compelling or strong sequence, and it honestly felt like filler.

Canto Bight looked nice, and we got some great music out of it, so there's that.

A Lando movie sounds great at some point. They should really bring back Billy Dee Williams in some form too. Any news about him returning for ep. IX, or any other STAR WARS-related thing?

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Everything I’ve heard points to an announcement of the Obi-Wan standalone shortly. 

Give me a western-like film with Ewan and I'll be happy. Seven Samurai/Magnificent SixSeven-ish.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

A Lando movie sounds great at some point. They should really bring back Billy Dee Williams in some form too. Any news about him returning for ep. IX, or any other STAR WARS-related thing?

I saw some rumor that his health isn't so great these days.  Don't forget he's quite a bit older than most of the original trilogy cast.  He's in his 80s now.

From what I've read, Billy Dee Williams wasn't contacted to participate in the ST.  I imagine Abrams won't bother to bring him back for IX since he didn't for TFA.  He asked Denis Lawson (Wedge) to return but not Billy Dee for whatever reason.  He has provided his voice for Lando for various shows, the Battlefront games and, of course, The Lego Movie.

I think the likely reason he wasn't mentioned in either film until now is b/c Abrams (and then Johnson) wanted to free up the next director to use the character if he wished.  If he doesn't make an appearance in Episode IX, I'm sure Abrams will pay tribute to Lando in one way or another.  And if Lando does make a cameo, Abrams will be obsessive about keeping it secret. Either way, Episode IX will probably be the last opportunity to learn the card player's fate.

I was hoping most everything we may need to know or want to see about Lando might be covered in Solo and future Solo films. I don't need him to have his own movie, although Donald Glover would make it quite memorable.

50 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

From what I've read, Billy Dee Williams wasn't contacted to participate in the ST.  I imagine Abrams won't bother to bring him back for IX since he didn't for TFA.  He asked Denis Lawson (Wedge) to return but not Billy Dee for whatever reason.  He has provided his voice for Lando for various shows, the Battlefront games and, of course, The Lego Movie.

At the time, JJ said that he couldn't find a place for Lando in TFA's story.  Rian said the same thing about TLJ.  For Wedge, it would have been pretty easy - standing around the rebel base, flying in ships with Poe at Starkiller Base.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

At the time, JJ said that he couldn't find a place for Lando in TFA's story.  Rian said the same thing about TLJ.  For Wedge, it would have been pretty easy - standing around the rebel base, flying in ships with Poe at Starkiller Base.

I can understand TFA, but there was arguably room for him in TLJ.  He could have worked alongside Leia and Holdo... or even replaced Holdo.  Or assisted the Resistance on Crait.