Is this movie worth my time?

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

Both terrible but 'Frenzy' is quite chilly in a good way. The Thames main title is a great opener indeed.

Has Mancini's score ever been released?--what was recorded of it, anyways?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm not exactly sure what Elfman did. Since he doesn't orchestrate or conduct. But its a good rerecording of Bennie's score.

Agreed! Although, everyone hisses at the Van Sant remake, and frankly, I really don't understand why. I can see people complaining that it's pointless, but I don't think that's why someone would think this movie is trash. 

I mean, Psycho is Psycho, yeah?

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's not trash it's just utterly pointless. And Vince Vaughn and his jock appearance the worst casting idea after having Laurence Olivier play MacArthur in 'Inchon'.

Having seen the movie in high school during the late '00s, I actually think it's an interesting artifact showing that Vince Vaughn was once an actor. 

While they trumped certain aspects of Norman's persona up in this one, I thought he did a nice job playing the unassuming dude Bates is supposed to be. 

And ultimately, I do really see it as a very fascinating experiment: you see this sort of thing in live theater all the time, but almost never with film. Seeing how a different team handles the exact same source--the screenplay--is great look into the creative process. I only wish Van Sant allowed himself more liberty in staging and mise en scene, and Elfman to write an original score.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

And ultimately, I do really see it as a very fascinating experiment: you see this sort of thing in live theater all the time, but almost never with film. 

I don't think that's quite right. You have certain limitations in theater which makes similarities inevitable but usually you try to avoid what Psycho '98 does: slavishly recreate another play. What's the point, artistically?

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

I don't think that's quite right. You have certain limitations in theater which makes similarities inevitable but usually you try to avoid what Psycho '98 does: slavishly recreate another play. What's the point, artistically?

True, which is why I said what I did in ny last sentence. That said, even with the screenplay, it's of course a different experience seeing Perkins vs Vaughn, Moore vs whoever that lady was, etc. delivering the performances, and all of the subtext that's a result. I enjoy that aspect of it. 

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Is 8½ something I could be interested in?

Well, I'd need to know a bit about your taste first.

Fellini is certainly not for everyone. I'm a bit on/off myself. Something like the BOCCACIO '70 segment, for example, is so wild, it almost becomes self-parodical (the circus elements, the noise of the characters and surroundings etc.). But 8 1/2 is obviously a historical cornerstone for a reason. The experimentation seems more focussed here, and less 'aggravating'. 

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's an adaptation that holds to the original far stricter than Cape Fear.

This is true. Although both are quite close. Great adaptations, the both of them.

For sure. Ironically it seems as if Herrmann had scored the Scorsese picture, where it fits the Cady character much better than in the more muted, less excessive original.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Are you a JW fan? 

Yes. So yes.

And yes I've listened to the score plenty of times. I'm asking about the movie, which I've realized I've never actually seen until I caught the opening of it on TV the other day. I couldn't stay and watch, but should I watch it?

Of course!

Go with the Collector's Edition (probably the most common version) if you want additional family drama, go with theatrical if you want a better, tighter film experience.

39 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Should I see Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

ARE YOU FUCKING JOKING?????!!!!!!!

A very slight adjustment, Steef, if you don't mind...

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It has the very best score of the Maestro, so yes!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm late to the party (either you saw it last night or you didn't, Alex), but it's a rather weak film, IMO, that doesn't live up to its promise. It fails to properly explore the moral dilemmas, and feels rather superficial in its treatment.

You're better off listening to the Alan Parsons album instead, as Richard alludes to. :)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Well, I'm late to the party (either you saw it last night or you didn't, Alex) ...

I've recorded it. It gets mighty high scores everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I've recorded it. It gets mighty high scores everywhere.

Could be. My colleagues and I were pretty much in agreement over its faults, however.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

ISLE OF DOGS

Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

I didn't like it, but then again I don't like Wes Anderson in the first place. However, FANTASTIC MR. FOX is one of the exceptions, i.e. one of the few films of his that I DO like, so I had high hopes for this, being an animated film and all. But alas....

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha...one lukewarm and one negative post convinced you to see it?

I was just doing a Drax, I absolutely loved it and it’s my favorite movie of 2018. 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha...one lukewarm and one negative post convinced you to see it?

I was going to watch it as it is, but I just asked if it was worth my time. I've got time to give today!

11 minutes ago, John said:

I was just doing a Drax, I absolutely loved it and it’s my favorite movie of 2018. 

Good to know! :up:

16 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't like Wes Anderson in the first place

I'm not a big fan myself, but I haven't seen all his movies. I always have a problem with quirky for quirky's sake.