Is this movie worth my time?

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm not a big fan myself, but I haven't seen all his movies. I always have a problem with quirky for quirky's sake.

Indeed. I have a problem with Anderson quirk (or Coen quirk) where it sort of sits "on the edge" of a world that is otherwise supposed to be believable. But I absolutely adore Tim Burton, for example. Go figure! Maybe because he's more "all in" in his quirkiness, I don't know. It doesn't make sense.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have a problem with Anderson quirk (or Coen quirk) where it sort of sits "on the edge" of a world that is otherwise supposed to be believable.

But are Anderson’s films supposed to be set in a believable world, though? Most of his works seem to be winkingly, purposely fantastical in nature. 

2 hours ago, John said:

But are Anderson’s films supposed to be set in a believable world, though? Most of his works seem to be winkingly, purposely fantastical in nature. 

True, but it's a world that is only SLIGHTLY off. Very stylized, but reasonably believable. It's not outright a fantasy world the way Burton films are.

Has Isle of Dogs (I Love Dogs?) any allegorical point to it or is it just another bargain bin of references without any organizing principle? It looks interesting but i get irritated easily by the lazy postmodern approach (not only Anderson) of just flashing picturesque stuff in front of me and letting me do all the work. 

PS: the Coens are the most literary of US filmmakers at the moment. Not all their movies sparkle, but to compare them with Burton's abominations he unloads on us since ca. 20 years is grave injustice.

49 minutes ago, publicist said:

... and letting me do all the work. 

That's a good thing in my book. Somehow all my favorite movies allow me to bring my own thoughts and feelings to the whole. However, I don't feel like WA is asking me anything, I just see the quirkiness. 

That's a whole different thing, though, to what i described. A great movie is like an invitation, it's so rich you want to find out more - with Anderson it's the opposite. I read about it not because i'm fascinated but because i'm pissed off (Grand Budapest was an exception).

4 hours ago, publicist said:

PS: the Coens are the most literary of US filmmakers at the moment. Not all their movies sparkle, but to compare them with Burton's abominations he unloads on us since ca. 20 years is grave injustice.

One just has to compare the Coens' 2007-2014 with Burton's 2007-2014.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 11:45 AM, Thor said:

Well, I'm late to the party (either you saw it last night or you didn't, Alex), but it's a rather weak film, IMO, that doesn't live up to its promise. It fails to properly explore the moral dilemmas, and feels rather superficial in its treatment.

You're better off listening to the Alan Parsons album instead, as Richard alludes to. :)

Holy, I finally decided to give Eye In The Sky a go, but when the military starts crying (literally) for a little girl that got wounded during a drone strike, it was time for me to switch it off and nominate it for a place in my Top 20 worst movies ever.  Oh ... My ... God ...

Then there's the absurd amount of compassion and clearances and they need before they can actually bomb a house full of wanted terrorists who are in the act of preparing several suicide attacks. It was ridiculous. It's as if the Western world is nothing but angels burdened with the dirty and hideous task of killing terrorists. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Anyone seen The Old Man and the Gun?

Contemplating...

Nope. Won't premiere in Norway untill April 5th.

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Any thoughts on...

The Martian

I loved it, my colleagues didn't. It's lighter in tone than your usual Scott, but the main attraction is the atmosphere of the place itself. The "comedy" I could be without (even though I'm aware it's part of the original novel).

The Beast Must Die

Haven't seen it.

Spielberg (HBO Doc)

This is superb. Easily in my top 20 list that year. Nothing terribly new to us hardcore Spielberg fans, but covering all the bases while maintaining a personal touch; not just a run-of-the-mill biopic.

Christopher Robin

Really disliked it. Vapid, empty, fluffy stuff that just came out awkward. Has a bit of "BOOK THIEF" syndrome going on, while it tries desperately to strive for an Oscar nom.

The Crimes of Grindlewald

Haven't seen it, although I probably will -- even if I was lukewarm (at best) to the first film.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I loved it, my colleagues didn't. It's lighter in tone than your usual Scott, but the main attraction is the atmosphere of the place itself. The "comedy" I could be without (even though I'm aware it's part of the original novel).

You should read the novel. So much better.

21 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Any thoughts on...

The Martian

The Beast Must Die

Spielberg (HBO Doc)

Christopher Robin

The Crimes of Grindlewald

...?

I really liked The Martian. Don't waste your time on COG.

• 2 weeks later...