Is this movie worth my time?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Agreed. Intrada's 3-CD box is the one to get. And it's quite inexpensive!

Hm. Temporarily out of stock, just like ET. Thanks for the heads up though!

The remake of DAY is mediocre at best, but good for a laidback Netflix evening with popcorn.

TRANSCENDENCE has far more ambitious goals, but fails in execution. I see I gave it 2 of 5 stars on MUBI. Great cinematography, though, as one would expect given that it's directed by Wally Pfister.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It's rather 'cheeseballs', though, the original. Old school sci fi is very hit and miss for me.

"Cheesballs" my ass! It carries a message that everyone should listen to: shape up, or get buttfucked.

From the atmospheric opening, to the final warning, it's a class act, and among the finest science fiction films ever.

Wise's unobtrusive direction, Neal's "everyman" performance, and Rennie's grounding central character, imbued with a great humanity, makes this a compelling watch. Granted, old school science fiction could be hit-and-miss, but not this. Not this.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's rather 'cheeseballs', though, the original. Old school sci fi is very hit and miss for me.

Logic and exceptional writing and acting are rarely hit and miss. Yes they get the science wrong in terms of the vastness of space but few scifi films from that era get it right.

Rennie does everything he can to give earth the benefit of the doubt and in an time filled with communist conspiracies it never trottles down to the lowest common denominator. 

Richard...you have detention for the misquote 

She says Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

On last thing the humanity shown during the actual standing still moment is astonishing. Everything that needs to work to keep human life going does, everthing else stops. 

50 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Logic and exceptional writing and acting are rarely hit and miss. Yes they get the science wrong in terms of the vastness of space but few scifi films from that era get it right.

Rennie does everything he can to give earth the benefit of the doubt and in an time filled with communist conspiracies it never trottles down to the lowest common denominator. 

I'd rather watch something like INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS for not-so-subtle political commentary about the commie scare. Also a cheeseballs film, but so on-the-nose in what it's trying to do, I find it more valuable somehow.

Your cheeseball comment is nonsensical to O don't get its usage. I love both films but I prefer Michael Rennie to Kevin McCarthy. I have both on dvd or blu. Truth be told I tend to watch one after the other but for paranoia's sake I prefer the Thing From Another World. I know those here disagree but I find it far superior to Carpenter's gory version. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

...the Thing From Another World. I know those here disagree but I find it far superior to Carpenter's gory version. 

Now you have detention, Joe.

Write out 100 times: 

"The Carpenter film is better".

No it is not and i will tell you why. The sexual banter between Sheridan and Toby is so forward thinking. Its just stays clean, barely.

It airs here in Norway on Sunday. Will be watching, but obviously with a media critical mind (like all people should have -- the PC hysteria surrounding this has been staggering, to say the least).

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend At Eternity's Gate; great performances from everyone, and it even finishes with a recent discovery about Van Gogh's last paintings. That said, I'm curious to examine other Van Gogh biopics

I'm slowly catching up to movies scored by Goldenthal, but I had such an awful time with Cobb, that it really made me examine how much time I devote to movies for a particular composer. So, before I watch it, does anyone recommend In Dreams from 1999?

My colleagues were not thrilled with AT ETERNITY'S GATE, but I'll see it for myself to make up my own mind. We were all in agreement on the disappointing Van Gogh animation LOVING VINCENT from a couple of years ago, though.

3 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I'm slowly catching up to movies scored by Goldenthal, but I had such an awful time with Cobb, that it really made me examine how much time I devote to movies for a particular composer. So, before I watch it, does anyone recommend In Dreams from 1999?

I've seen every Goldenthal-scored film, except for a couple obscure ones that are impossible to find (like GRAND ISLE). IN DREAMS is excellent; dark, lavish landscapes that Neil Jordan does so well.

On March 22, 2019 at 5:21 PM, Thor said:

My colleagues were not thrilled with AT ETERNITY'S GATE, but I'll see it for myself to make up my own mind.

I'm watching it tonight. I'll share my thoughts in the appropriate thread.

On March 22, 2019 at 5:21 PM, Thor said:

We were all in agreement on the disappointing Van Gogh animation LOVING VINCENT from a couple of years ago, though.

Dissapointing? In what way? I thought it was a remarkable achievement and one of the most aesthetically pleasing films I've ever seen. The story may be cliché in some parts, but to grade the film over as dissapointing comes as a slight surprise to me.

Has anyone seen the new Mads Mikklesen film Arctic? Apparently it's a career best performance.

I feel it's more an experiment than an actual film. I don't think the Citizen Kane-esque narrative structure was the best way to go, and there's a lot of forced exposition.

Nonetheless it's definitely one of the most visually impressive films I've ever seen; the amount of work put into every frame is staggering.

True, but it's hard not to enjoy a film that looks that good. I suppose it's a way of getting good reception- if the visuals are so good that you don't really pay attention to the flaws of the story, people will generally like the film. At least in this case, where everything is oil painted.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Dissapointing? In what way? I thought it was a remarkable achievement and one of the most aesthetically pleasing films I've ever seen. The story may be cliché in some parts, but to grade the film over as dissapointing comes as a slight surprise to me.

As John said, a lot of forced exposition, and too drawn out. The visual/aesthic choice is interesting, but quickly wears out its welcome and they fail to develop it in any meaningful way. It becomes gimmicky.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Has anyone seen the new Mads Mikklesen film Arctic? Apparently it's a career best performance.

Yes, I have. It's a pretty good film, although quite predictable, and there's not a lot in terms of visceral intensity....THE REVENANT, it ain't. Not sure it's Mikkelsen's best role, but it's unquestionably his most physical. He delivers the goods.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

As John said, a lot of forced exposition, and too drawn out. The visual/aesthic choice is interesting, but quickly wears out its welcome and they fail to develop it in any meaningful way. It becomes gimmicky.

Will I ever get how you rate movies? What you wrote is simply wrong. The film's surface blends perfectly with the protagonist's nature and achieves to be more than just a plain biography.

The biggest letdown (for me) with Loving Vincent was that it focused on the wrong person. Ironically, for all the breathtaking animation based on his paintings, Van Gogh isn't even the protagonist in his own story

• 1 month later...

This week's lineup:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald

Batman Returns 

La La Land

Dunkirk

How the West Was Won

Being There

I'm Alright Jack

Thoughts? I've seen some of these before anyways. 

16 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald

I was never a big Harry Potter fan in the first place, but at least they had charm and wit and ingenious setpieces. The FANTASTIC BEASTS films have none of that, and this is worse than the first.

Batman Returns 

Masterpiece!

La La Land

I found this extremely overrated. Annoying, hipsterish "approximation" of Jacques Demy. Emma Stone goes on my nerves in everything she does. Gosling is miscast.

Dunkirk

Great, visceral film with clever manipulations of time!

How the West Was Won

Classic Newman score, of course, but the western aspect of it is treated very superficially.

Being There

Haven't seen this in ages, but I remember it as a gorgeous classic, and great cinematography by the esteemed Caleb Deschanel. One of Hal Ashby's best films. You can never go wrong with Peter Sellers.

I'm Alright Jack

Never seen it.