THE TWO TOWERS: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE coming July 27 2018 (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

I think a lot of people are going to be happy since TTT was the Complete Recordings set most people seemed to have missed the first time around and it fetched ridiculous prices in the secondary market.

Is it me or do you, when you go to amazon.uk and choose 'audio cd' as your format, end up on a page with the limited edition of the OST? They seem to have put up the vinyl correctly, but not the CD.

15 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is it me or do you, when you go to amazon.uk and choose 'audio cd' as your format, end up on a page with the limited edition of the OST? They seem to have put up the vinyl correctly, but not the CD.

I got mine on Amazon UK here - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07D515631/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527241716&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+two+towers+complete+recordings 

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That' still too expensive.

Well it is a collectible box set in limited numbers so 60 € for 3 discs, great liner notes and a Blu-ray doesn't sound too bad to me.

Nah, you can desire the complete score but not care much about the packaging.

I absolutely think there should be a cheaper jewel case version available.

I don't think this is a case of OST vs CR = cheaper vs deluxe, but rather do you want a concise listening experience or the full score? Neither of those should dictate the packaging type.

So just out of curiosity, the booklets that come with these sets, are they identical to those annotated score PDFs available in the past, or do they contain info that's not included in those PDFs?

I understand why people would want a cheaper version of this set, but really from a financial standpoint, why should they do that?

The people who buy these sets are die hard fans and serious collectors. The audience doesn't go much beyond that, and most of the people who want the set are going to buy it, and will be willing to pay a premium for the nicer packaging, etc. So from the POV of the label, why should the sell a set for 30 if most people are wiling to pay 60?  The economics are different from a wide scale popular release, where putting out a "standard" and "deluxe" edition makes sense to accommodate a wider audience.

This is one of the most impressive complete score releases of all time. Given that, I think the price is reasonable. 

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So just out of curiosity, the booklets that come with these sets, are they identical to those annotated score PDFs available in the past, or do they contain info that's not included in those PDFs?

No...the content of the booklets and the annotated score PDF's is different (though obviously there's some overlap).

The CR booklets (or at least the Fellowship one) mostly just contain a listing of all themes with descriptions and first appearances, almost word to word how they are in the first part of the book.

3 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

That's what the OSTs were for.  These releases deserve and demand the deluxe treatment with regards to packaging, presentation, and content.  

That's also what the digital release is for -- A lossless copy of FOTR is just $28 over at 7digital. If you want CDs, burn them yourself. If you have to have a real, honest to goodness physical product, then wait til a few weeks after release when the price drops by $15 and pony up. Amazon is currently charging $58 for the FOTR box and that's more than reasonable for the complete score on CD alone. The fact that you get the CDs plus a surround sound blu-ray for that price is flippin' phenomenal!

2 hours ago, Holko said:

The CR booklets (or at least the Fellowship one) mostly just contain a listing of all themes with descriptions and first appearances, almost word to word how they are in the first part of the book.

But with Timestamps IIIRC.

4 hours ago, Fal said:

But with Timestamps IIIRC.

Correct.

The CR liner notes + the Annotated Score PDFs were what you could call a stripped down version of the final The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films book. I think the only difference is the missing of the "In the Making" notation from the Annotated Scores in the final book where Doug explains the differences between OST tracks and final film versions etc. Otherwise the book e.g. expands considerably on the track-by-track analysis. I would have loved to have with even more of that kind of discussion but they went for a clearer focus on the film scores as heard on the CRs without much discussion of changes done in the scoring process or discussion of different versions from different releases. I guess it would have created clutter that was considered unnecessary.

And of course the three liner notes booklets chart the development and appearance of the themes somewhat differently than the finished book as they handle them film by film in each booklet.

It makes complete sense the Doug didn't pour all the material into the liner notes as otherwise there would not have been anything new for the book.

So shortly, the book is a revised and expanded edition of the CR booklets plus the annotated scores, with some additional material?

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

So shortly, the book is a revised and expanded edition of the CR booklets plus the annotated scores, with some additional material?

More or less yes. One of the most interesting little details in the book is that it doesn't ever explicitly mention that e.g. the track-by-track analysis is based on the LotR CR releases but treats the music almost like pure narrative music and tones down the references to the film making process.

The original CRs only ever had one retail price.  They must have used two different manufacturing plants or something.  I doubt any numbers exist on how many flat spines vs how many curved spines are out in the wild.

Ah, the earth-shattering problems that we suffer from. It gnaws at our minds. :D

How long was T2T now unavailable? Five to six years? I could order another copy of RotK in early 2012, but don't know about Towers...

I decided to look it up after all, @Kühni.  It looks like TTT went OOP about a decade ago?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20455-lotr-complete-recordings-out-of-print-being-reissued/

On 5/30/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bajak said:

Is there any indication, that there are both curved and flat spines of FOTR reissue? Mine is flat, does someone have curved?

Oh, I am pretty sure all the reissues are uniform.  But who knows!

@Jay: No hard feelings. My question was somewhere between simply curious and rhetorical. So if it's actually been 10 (in words: TEN) years, then T2T was in print for, what, only a year-and-a-half? Whereas I could order RotK CR for a normal price from Amazon four years after the initial release? It simply doesn't add up in my Book of Revelations...

I just looked at the start date of the thread I linked to and saw it was 2008.  Maybe later it came back in print, then went out of print again; I dunno.  You could read through the thread to find out.