THE TWO TOWERS: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE coming July 27 2018 (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Falafel said:

I can listen to them whenever, but listening to them during October-December is the most rewarding.

Yes!

And - "Beyond the Forest" from DOS is, without question, a song for a late-fall, early December, chilly, overcast, day, accompanied with a side of introspection.

22 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

There are some movies/scores/books I'll mostly watch/listen to/read seasonally. Yeah, I'm weird that way.

My wife and I started a thing of watching LOTR once a year in December/January or so. We just moved into a slightly larger house that actually has the room for a big screen, so we'll have to get a 50" and a 5.1 system before too long.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Holko said:

So... Why doesn't the Two Towers CR include PJ playing the gong? (should be at 4:18 of Edoras, I think)

I guess for the same reason it doesn't include the slightly different moment for The Tales That Really Mattered for the shot of Gollum during Sam's speech, where PJ demanded a bit different chords for the right mood for that particular shot. Not Shore's original intentions or his preference. Same as with e.g. FotR's Flight to the Ford scene where the CR retains the aleatoric french horn fanfares but you can hear the film version on the Rarities disc.

I don't know how Rhys-Davies' reading obscuring The Dreams of Trees would be better - it's bordering on included dialogue. It has as much right to be on a score album as Sam's Fireworks poem or Gollum's Fish Song. At least all the included cast performances really are sung and the score works with/around them brilliantly.

Call it what you want but it's Rhys-Davies reading a poem with nothing more musical about it than its rythm and some vocal embellisments. Are you really upset that his noisy creaking and taking breaths isn't on your music disc to obscure a cue as lovely and sweet as The Dreams of Trees?

Narration counts for what? As what? What?

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Alan said:

Well this was unexpected! Don't think I've ever seen any of these sets in stores before.

IMG_20181116_141137.jpg

Good call, my young padewan!

Alan, which HMV is that? The last time I went to Birmingham, the HMV in the Bullring was crap.

I bought two of them in the Trocadero, HMV, and the other in my local Fopp.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Good call, my young padewan!

Alan, which HMV is that? The last time I went to Birmingham, the HMV in the Bullring was crap.

I bought two of them in the Trocadero, HMV, and the other in my local Fopp.

It's the Birmingham Bullring HMV. They only had TTT.

Manchester's HMV is much better (two floors when most have shrunken down). I might be biased as a Manc though hehe.

On 11/17/2018 at 3:02 PM, Richard said:

Did you ever go to the Oxford St. HMV?

Three floors of it. It's now a Sports Direct.

I remember Manchester's HMV being rather good, last time I visited.

I did go to the Oxford Street store. It's a crime that they've now moved to a site a fraction of the size. I lived in Nuneaton for a few years until recently and it had a bigger HMV than Oxford Street!

On 11/18/2018 at 12:03 AM, Richard Penna said:

Really surprising to see one in a real store.

Although I'm not impressed with that price.

Ever since they were released, they've been that price.

8 hours ago, Alan said:

I did go to the Oxford Street store. It's a crime that they've now moved to a site a fraction of the size. I lived in Nuneaton for a few years until recently and it had a bigger HMV than Oxford Street!

Impressive. Most impressive.

The Bond St. HMV is rubbish. Thank goodness for Fopp, at Cambridge Circus, and Sister Ray's, in Soho.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

HMV Birmingham has the TTT and trilogy sets on vinyl at the moment. They're gorgeous things to look at and weighty. Can't say I wasn't tempted 😂

4 hours ago, Richard said:

So, @Alan...why did you not succumb?

Just a minute! The HMV, in Birmingham? The one in the Bullring? I was there a couple years back. You couldn't swing a kitten, in there. I know; I tried.

I didn't have a spare £150! They will be mine one day...

Yep the one in the Bullring.

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Kühni said:

I take it all three CR repressings have sold out again...?

Two of them are still available in the UK but at strangely inflated prices on Amazon. And no, I don't mean marketplace. 

Karol