Michael Giacchino's Coco vs John Powell's Ferdinand

Which is the better Mexican-flavored animated score of 2017?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Mexican-flavored animated score of 2017?

• Ferdinand (John Powell)
    • Coco (Michael Giacchino)

Okay, first off, I promise this is the last time I pull out a thread like this! :P

The dinosaur one was just for a gag, but in this case, I've been genuinely curious as to what folks will have to say in terms of a comparison/contrast. It's a peculiar case, two composers that probably wouldn't battle to the death in real life, yet here we are, they've tackled similar projects not far from each other (this and Rogue One VS Solo). Particularly quaint that these two would come the same year.

Is it an unfair fight seeing as how Coco offers songs to go along with the Giacchino score, while Ferdinand only has one song and it's not included on the score album? Or are Ferdinand's brutish strengths more than enough to overcome the lack of songs? Or should we take Ferdinand's advice and not fight at all? Let us discuss!

Ferdinand AINEC

Coco is one of his most forgettable scores he's ever written

Unpopular opinion, but I prefer Coco. Both are fine scores, though.

I also might add that Coco is the superior film, by a wide margin.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will visit every JWFan's home, cook them dinner and buy some nice wine to make up for the imposition, and bring my Ferdinand CD to make my impassioned plea for them to recognize its greatness.

It's already one of my top 5 favorite Powell scores, and I don't drink wine...but, I wouldn't mind the company.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I hate that I have to look up ">" and "<" every time...I can never remember which one means which!

The crocodile always wants to eat the bigger number

I remember a teacher in high school trying to tell me such, and I asked "But what if the crocodile's on a diet?". She didn't know how to answer that, and that's left me mixed up ever since. 

30 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I remember a teacher in high school trying to tell me such, and I asked "But what if the crocodile's on a diet?". She didn't know how to answer that, and that's left me mixed up ever since. 

Image result for c3po oh dear oh dear

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Thank you, but alas, I'm quite often told I need to change if I'd ever want a girl to find me romantically and physically attractive. 

I have a female friend who's *exactly* like you. So don't change your ways, Casey. You'll find someone. As a mighty prophet once said....

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

P.S, my name's Severin.

Shouldn't you be severin' your ties to your parents and move to your manor in Solstheim with that name, Snape?

I feel like that was severe overkill, sorry.

12 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

...Is this female friend of yours single?

She is. But I fear she might not be your type. She's more on the chubby side. Not fat mind you, but not thin either.

I have no physical preferences in regards to an ideal romantic companion. My only requirement is that they're not a fan of Trump. At least, that's the only grounds I can think of for not being interested in a girl.

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

Shouldn't you be severin' your ties to your parents and move to your manor in Solstheim with that name, Snape?

I feel like that was severe overkill, sorry.

Nice try. But I handle the puns around here, good man.

15 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Nice try. But I handle the puns around here, good man.

So what do we properly call you then? Sev?

10 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

How did you know?

Karol

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Sev is indeed very often how I'm referred to in person, so you may follow suit.

We've been waiting for info on your fate for 13 years, commando.

latest?cb=20071010183305

I think both films have their problems (Ferdinand more so) but I feel Coco has emotional resonance and weight that is also reflected in the score and the songs. 

Both films are and scores are different but effective in their respective films. I don't see why these polls and threads exist if only as a jab to incite more negativity when Giacchino is brought up. 

I think I pointed this out once before, but only one of these scores is Mexican flavored.  Ferdinand is Spanish.

36 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think both films have their problems (Ferdinand more so) but I feel Coco has emotional resonance and weight that is also reflected in the score and the songs. 

Oh yeah, Coco is a much better movie.  My attachment to Ferdinand is purely musical.  It's comparing one of Powell's masterpieces (IMO) to Giacchino's "least good" Pixar score.  Well except for maybe his Cars score, which I've never heard.