Star Wars Disenchantment

John

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

Good times. Me, I got the opposite problem. Time for a vasectomy. :unsure:

I don't know how I've avoided being ordered to do this after our big three for one deal.  I mean, we were trying, just didn't bet on three.  I think I'd sooner curb nocturnal activities than go through something like a vasectomy.  Makes me double over, just the idea of it.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Nah, just watching endless reruns of Hook.

Or getting lost in fantastical labyrinths.

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I'm confused as to why a film from The Walt Disney Company would portray capitalism as a bad thing, considering the Mouse's ultimate agenda. Instead, you'd think TLJ would portray the business people on Canto Blight as heroic and the Rebellion's secret weapon to defeat the Empire, by using their mysterious stock market powers.

It portrayed illegal arms dealers to space nazi's as a bad thing. Not capitalism. 

Here is some lovely irony that is completely lost on the deranged (I'm assuming right wing) SJW haters who have lost their minds over all this. If they read and comprehended the books of the new Canon they'd know that Star Wars is actually a pretty conservative friendly universe. Bloodline portrays those who want a strong central government in the republic to be secretly a bunch of facists who have secret connections and dealings with the First Order while those who believe in democracy champion a small central government with a greater focus on local level. Last Shot talks about the new republic's eagerness to de-militarize and the weak position it put them in. 

These youtubers who are whining about how leftist Star Wars has become under Disney don't know what they're talking about. If you to put Star Wars in a modern political atmosphere, and I do only in response to their annoying cries, then it's a fair trade off I'd say. And I can say it without revealing which side of the political spectrum I side on because it doesn't matter. Their entire platform doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

They better go somewhere with this in Episode 9 instead of leaving it hanging as some isolated statement like "duhhh war profiteering iz bad mkay?"

I say this as someone who thinks Episode 8 was a brilliant Star Wars film in a lot of ways....

They better do a lot of things in Episode 9 or this trilogy won't really feel like it belongs. However, I do think there is great potential for wrap the entire saga up nicely. 

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

It’s a trite message that doesn’t work in a fictional universe where the war is painted as a cosmic struggle between good and evil.

True. It may be the biggest failure of the Canto Bight sequence.

3 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

It portrayed illegal arms dealers to space nazi's as a bad thing. Not capitalism. 

Here is some lovely irony that is completely lost on the deranged (I'm assuming right wing) SJW haters who have lost their minds over all this. If they read and comprehended the books of the new Canon they'd know that Star Wars is actually a pretty conservative friendly universe. Bloodline portrays those who want a strong central government in the republic to be secretly a bunch of facists who have secret connections and dealings with the First Order. Last Shot talks about the new republic's eagerness to de-militarize and the weak position it put them in. 

These youtubers who are whining about how leftist Star Wars has become under Disney don't know what they're talking about. If you to put Star Wars in a modern political atmosphere, and I do only in response to their annoying cries, then it's a fair trade off I'd say. And I can say it without revealing which side of the political spectrum I side on because it doesn't matter. Their entire platform doesn't matter.

I have not read the Bloodline novel, but I was aware of its contents regarding the harmful effects of de-militarization.

TLJ attempted to blur the line in regards to arms producers/dealers selling to the First Order - and the Resistance - as not necessarily 'good' or 'bad'.

Preachy Rose Tico stopped the movie in its tracks when she blamed the gambling/partying/wealthy/oblivious/apathetic occupants and visitors of Canto Bight for the use (and apparent abuse) of people and animals for their own selfish benefit. She eventually took it upon herself to break-out some large racing animals, riding one herself whilst trampling the city, with the police in chase, and Finn hanging on for dear life, who complained at her for "enjoying" the experience. When the herd was 'free', she took the opportunity to remove the animal's saddle, saying only then what they did was "worth it."

Most movie-goers would agree that this blatant example of Social Justice Warring does not belong in a Star Wars film. Did Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson, and Co. really think that this (and TLJ's shoe-horned-in identity politics and male-bashing) would be accepted by the fans? How delusional they were... and probably still are. Maybe they don't care, and are just trying to influence the world in the little time they have before they are fired.

I find it incredibly ironic that you say "youtubers who are whining about how leftist Star Wars has become under Disney don't know what they're talking about" and that "their annoying cries" and "entire platform doesn't matter" as a Disney-produced Star Wars film is failing at the box office and will struggle to turn a profit. You call anti-SJW people "deranged", but you might want to re-assess those in charge of Disney/Lucasfilm... and yourself, while you're at it.

I can see it now, in Episode 9, we learn the real power behind the Republic and the Empire is the Federal Galactic Reserve, the central bank conceived by wealthy industrialists and the space banking cartel on the secret planet Jekyll, to create a system that lends legal tender to governments at interest (which is why Republic credits are no good)... oh fuck, this is so boring!

Why does Kennedy get all the credit for ruining Star Wars when it was Johnson who actually wrote the script?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Now is the "failure" of Solo (it still has weeks to go) because of a few pissed off manbabies telling others not to see another SW film because feminist propaganda, or because it's not that good a film, wasn't marketed well and nobody asked for the idea in the first place?

Film-goers and Star Wars fans (numbering in the hundreds of millions worldwide) choosing not to see the film in theaters are individuals making their own decisions after strongly disliking TLJ. Some also learned that Lucasfilm employees unapologetically called critics (of their latest SW films) sexist, racist, and manbabies. It's only logical that those insulted and disappointed would skip the next installment while the Lucasfilm leadership remains unchanged. The mostly mediocre reviews don't help, with some reporting that Solo doesn't do the title character justice. I can say with confidence that "wasn't marketed well and nobody asked for the idea" are not significant reasons for its failure.

I'm convinced half the world walked into the cinemas this weekend and were completely surprised there was a new Star Wars movie out.

So far three Star Wars films have made massive amounts of money, and one will make a bit less. In the end it will probably still be quite profitable.

The suggestion that Lucasfilm is in trouble is rather funny.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'm convinced half the world walked into the cinemas this weekend and were completely surprised there was a new Star Wars movie out.

Not a chance. Disney spent hundreds of millions on advertising/marketing. People knew Solo was coming.

23 hours ago, Holko said:

In Duo: A Star Wars Story, I hope we meet her [Proxima's] sister Centauri.

Joke thief!

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So far three Star Wars films have made massive amounts of money, and one will make a bit less. In the end it will probably still be quite profitable.

The suggestion that Lucasfilm is in trouble is rather funny.

With an all-in budget of ~$600M (including marketing and other expenses), Solo will not be profitable in theaters. Financially, it will be one of Disney's all-time greatest disappointments.

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The rate of the drop is disconcerting, though.

It should be for the Disney executives. Will they make leadership changes at Lucasfilm before after Episode 9 starts filming later this summer, during (as with the directors of Rogue One and Solo) after it's released in December 2019? Professional reputations and lots of money are at stake, not to mention the public's perception of Star Wars under the control of Disney.

Some also learned that Lucasfilm employees unapologetically called critics (of their latest SW films) sexist, racist, and manbabies.

Because that's exactly what you sound like. 

Must have hit pretty close to the mark...

People done lost their minds.

Times like these I'm easily convinced that some people have a neuro-chemical predilection for extreme tribal self-righteousness and blindness.  Whether it's religion or sports or freakin' Star Wars.

I want a Life of Brian style movie about fandoms.

I ask since Mark Hamill is on record telling Rian Johnson that he "fundamentally disagreed with nearly everything" he had written for his character. It's a safe bet that Luke throwing his father's original lightsaber over his shoulder - and over the cliff - in front of Rey was one thing about which Hamill disagreed.

And wasn't there more interviews after the fact where he stated it's all much better in the context of the whole finished movie and he regrets voicing his doubts publically while it was still in production? 

Also, while making Star Wars, everyone thought it was going to be a dumb throwaway kids' movie everyone will forget before they even finished watching it. Turns out they were very wrong.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Luke threw away his lightsaber in ROTJ, did Hamill disagree with that too?

Me too, its part of the demystification of Luke.

In ROTJ, Luke threw his lightsaber in defiance of the Emperor's commands to strike down his father and completely turn to the Dark Side. In TLJ, throwing the lightsaber over his shoulder -- over a cliff, nonetheless - was played comically, to subvert fans' expectations.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

And wasn't there more interviews after the fact where he stated it's all much better in the context of the whole finished movie and he regrets voicing his doubts publically while it was still in production?

No doubt Disney complained and put the squeeze on him. He decided to play nice by back-tracking some of his statements. In his more recent interviews, you can see it face that his feels betrayed and that fans deserved better.

9 minutes ago, Mattris said:

No doubt Disney complained and put the squeeze on him. He decided to play nice by back-tracking some of his statements. In his more recent interviews, you can see it face that his feels betrayed and that fans deserved better.

LOL

He better shape up and tow the line, or else Lucasfilm won't cast him as a Force Ghost in the subsequent films.

Mark my words. Hamill will be the new William Shatner soon.

27 minutes ago, Mattris said:

to subvert fans expectations

I don't know if I agree with this as the sole reason behind it. 

It fit the character as Luke didn't want anything to do with the Jedi life anymore.

The group is called the Marauders or the Cloud Riders. (from the Wiki, haven't heard the latter one in the movie). The leader of them is called Enfys Nest. Before the movie, I thought the name was Enfy and Enfys Nest was their hideout... the nest. It's another stupid SW name.

Enfys Nest's look reminds me of a cross between Valka from How To Train Your Dragon 2, Rufio from Hook, and a smidge of Kylo Ren's visor design:

enfys.JPG

valka.JPG

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

Film-goers and Star Wars fans (numbering in the hundreds of millions worldwide) choosing not to see the film in theaters are individuals making their own decisions after strongly disliking TLJ.

I loved TLJ (because I'm not a butthurt fanboy who just wanted a cliched remake of ESB) and even I haven't bothered seeing this film, purely because I'm happy to wait until Bluray. This isn't "must-see" like an Episode film and reviews tempered my expectations.

But I guess calm, cool, rational explanations about why ticket sales are low is far less sexy than ZOMG EVERYONE HATED TLJ SO DEY TOTALLY SHOWING DSISNEY TEY SUCK!!!!1!1111 HAHAAHAHA SUCCKCKK ITTT KAATHTYH KANNADY YOU MAN-HATING FEMANEST!

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

I ask since Mark Hamill is on record telling Rian Johnson that he "fundamentally disagreed with nearly everything" Rian Johnson had written for his character. It's a safe bet that Luke throwing his father's original lightsaber over his shoulder - and over the cliff - in front of Rey was one thing Hamill disagreed about.

Who gives a flying fuck? Last time I checked, the writer and director determined a character's actions, not the fucking actor portraying them. Jesus Christ, do you know a single thing about film-making?

55 minutes ago, Mattris said:

In his more recent interviews, you can see it face that his feels betrayed and that fans deserved better.

:lol: