Star Wars Disenchantment

John

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I loved TLJ (because I'm not a butthurt fanboy who just wanted a cliched remake of ESB) and even I haven't bothered seeing this film, purely because I'm happy to wait until Bluray. This isn't "must-see" like an Episode film and reviews tempered my expectations.

But I guess calm, cool, rational explanations about why ticket sales are low is far less sexy than ZOMG EVERYONE HATED TLJ SO DEY TOTALLY SHOWING DSISNEY TEY SUCK!!!!1!1111 HAHAAHAHA SUCCKCKK ITTT KAATHTYH KANNADY YOU MAN-HATING FEMANEST!

Who gives a flying fuck? Last time I checked, the writer and director determined a character's actions, not the fucking actor portraying them. Jesus Christ, do you know a single thing about film-making?

:lol:

You come across as the kind of guy who likes brainless popcorn entertainment and don't want to think deeper about the background , the world and the motives of the story and its characters.

Is it really ok for you if a film does not to make any sense within a franchise as long as you are entertained???

Last Jedi is hated by so many fans because it makes absolutely no sense storywise within the Starwars Saga. Its a parody.

Seriously. Insulted by a Star Wars movie?  Sounds silly to me. 

Then again I'm insulted that Lucas thought that the dialogue and acting in AOTC was acceptable. 

Just now, SF1_freeze said:

Last Jedi is hated by so many fans because it makes absolutely no sense storywise within the Starwars Saga. Its a parody.

We must have watched different films, because it fits the saga rather well. 

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

I don't know if I agree with this as the sole reason behind it. 

It fit the character as Luke didn't want anything to do with the Jedi life anymore.

I get what they were trying to do in TFA and TLJ.

But, to me, they bungled the execution.

No, Lucas's ideas for the prequels were too disjointed.  There was a lack of clarity in his intentions, which led to quite messy movies.  The sequels so far have been more streamlined, tighter.  But, we don't know enough.  The characters, while interesting, lack things beneath the surface.  The situations and new groups, etc..., are not well explained.  The movies seem to be on autopilot for the most part. 

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Times like these I'm easily convinced that some people have a neuro-chemical predilection for extreme tribal self-righteousness and blindness.  Whether it's religion or sports or freakin' Star Wars.

They do mate.  It's the root of all evil.  I expect it's something evolution will continue to weed out. 

Look, it's inevitable that SW, and other toxically masculine franchises would be forced to conform to the new world order of social justice, and become a little bit more feminine, a bit more foreign, a bit more dainty, and a bit more limp-wristed. It's the future, so get with it.

Eh. So people care about beloved characters and are affected by art. And people don’t care for political messaging in their entertainment (cf., Roseanne, NFL). True, some TLJ-haters voice exaggerated opinions, especially over the internet, but when every other post is a tirade against these supposedly ubiquitous extremists, it’s a straw man, and it’s no less tiresome.

Isn't it hilarious that new Star Wars is being accused of being feminist and social justice-y, when so far every film has been conceived, written and directed by heterosexual white men?

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He better shape up and tow the line, or else Lucasfilm won't cast him as a Force Ghost in the subsequent films.

They were going to include him in Episode 9 regardless ("See ya 'round, kid.") and probably asked him to stop saying that he disagreed with their writing of his character.

6 hours ago, Demodex said:

I don't know if I agree with this as the sole reason behind it. 

It fit the character as Luke didn't want anything to do with the Jedi life anymore.

While having Luke throw the lightsaber over his shoulder over the cliff was probably the last thing people expected, you're right; subverting fans' expectations wasn't the sole reason. Rian Johnson was captured saying that it excites him if "half of the audience" of his movies are "really really excited about it" and the other people to come to him after watching it "literally saying it was the worst movie I've ever seen". So the other reason for Luke actions was to disgust half of the audience. A disenchanted, demoralized Luke Skywalker could have simply given the lightsaber back to Rey or lightly dropped on the ground. What happened in the film was a spit in the face at the fans.

7 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

"Spit in the face" is an idiom. Perhaps even hyperbole. But his point, which is that it was calculated to anger half the audience, was already substantiated.

I don't see the logic in angering half your customers. Don't they want them for return business?

Going by the events of TFA, Luke Skywalker left two clues to his whereabouts. When Luke was needed to "set things right" and come out of hiding, Lor San Tekka (a senior believer in the ideals of the Jedi Order) and R2-D2 (Luke's personal droid) would present the clues to the appropriate people/person, who would seek out Luke for help. While it's likely that Luke didn't expect the visitor to arrive with his original lightsaber, throwing it over his shoulder - and over the cliff, no less - is a ridiculous event meant to shock/anger the audience.

It's disappointing that many don't see - or don't care - what's happening to Star Wars. It's Kathleen Kennedy and Co. who have a "complex", presenting thin new characters, while destroying the cherished older ones.

If only Bette Davis was alive and a young woman at 25 playing Rey. She could breathe real smoke life, nuance and powerful emotion into such a dull character. Daisy has nice abs, but lacks the screen presence to carry these movies like a real screen legend could.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

We need to go Beneath-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-ending on this thread's ass.

2 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

If only Bette Davis was alive and a young woman at 25 playing Rey. She could breathe real smoke life, nuance and powerful emotion into such a dull character. Daisy has nice abs, but lacks the screen presence to carry these movies like a real screen legend could.

I'd rather have Bettie Page.

What’s funny is people acting like Star Wars was a series of masterpieces until TFA and TLJ. Really the only unimpeachable entries are 4 and 5. The others, while I love them all, each have substantial issues.

9 minutes ago, SF1_freeze said:

TLJ and to smaller extent TFA are lazy brainless entertainment, because they make absolutely no sense plotwise within the Starwars Saga and Universe.

People like you seem to switch off their brains and dont think about backstory, the world making sense, character motivations and worldbuilding within a franchise in general.

Everything you just said, is wrong. 

TFA and TLJ are essentially ANH and ROTJ of the new series.  I don't know why you don't think they fit in when they're so similar to movies already in the saga.  And it doesn't take much thinking to see how the movies make sense and determine character motivation.