Star Wars Disenchantment

John

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

These kind of people send constant negativity toward him and are completely unable to empathize with what that might be like for a person to be having to always be filtering out hateful, hateful vitriol directed at them personally, day in and day out.  Yeah, I'd say it was reasonable.

I just hate this idea that creators are obligated to engage with "fans" in the modern social media age.  They owe us nothing!

Johnson, Abrams, Hidalgo and others at Lucasfilm draw attention to (and name-call) the worst of the the "fans" in an attempt to paint a picture of them representing the fandom. Obviously, this is a false narrative. The vast majority of disappointed fans simply don't like many elements of these stories / characters / films. These are reasonable people that are now speaking by staying home.

34 minutes ago, Demodex said:

You complained in the other thread that Kennedy's agenda ruined it because she made the lead characters female and the men all have flaws.  I didn't even notice that when I watched the movie three times.  

Now you're backpedalling to say your complaining was due to poorly written characters and not that they were female.

So which is it?

I hope all you trolls stay home when Episode 9 comes out. The theaters will be overcrowded as it is. 

People complaining about Rey being too strong in the Force is silly. She's a vergeance in the Force. She's going to be as strong as Anakin. And she bests Luke because he is not using the Force. 

6 minutes ago, Demodex said:

You're an ass. You most certainly were bitching about Kennedy's agenda that led to all the women being strong characters who dominated over flawed males. Your memory must be failing. See a doctor. 

It's both. "Kennedy's agenda ruined it because she made the lead characters female and the men all have flaws" and because of "poorly written characters" and stories.

If Rey is "a vergeance in the Force" like Anakin, what lazy, unimaginative writing. But it won't surprise me. The Force is female!

1 minute ago, TGP said:

Wonder Woman quote amidst prequel/Titanic quotes?  Hmm.

LOL I'm normally not a fan of today's comic book movies at all.....But I did like Wonder Woman :)

6 hours ago, Sharky said:

Considering the vile shit spewed at him by those petty, bitter and entitled fans, I think his replies are fairly reasonable. 

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Swearing at these morons is all they understand. Using reason is too complex for their tiny, and potentially sociopathic, minds.

He's obviously fed up with the constant bullshit.

6 hours ago, John said:

Oh no! Johnson used the s-word! Oh no! Johnson called a bunch of sexists harassing a young woman online "a-holes!"

Dude, don't be a wuss. This is the internet. If you're gonna get triggered by people using strong language to emphasize a point, you shouldn't even be a member of this forum.

You completely pulled this quote out of context. He was responding to a Twitter user who was fed up with a guy intentionally trying to start baseless arguments with her about TLJ. On a tweet honoring the memory of Carrie Fisher, of all things. Johnson's response here was perfectly reasonable and indeed accurate.

It has been proven time and again that TLJ haters are not a majority. You are simply wrong here.

Rian Johnson stooping so low as to use profanity and insults? Don't think this behavior goes unnoticed. The faults of TLJ and its director are only becoming more known. If Johnson even gets a single film of 'his trilogy' made, I'll be extremely surprised. I'm very interested to see how things pan out over the next 18 months.

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I guarantee you that wasn't even a factor.

You cannot "guarantee" that Han Solo being killed in TFA wasn't a factor. I think it was poor timing to release a boy-ish Han Solo movie so soon.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

These kind of people send constant negativity toward him and are completely unable to empathize with what that might be like for a person to be having to always be filtering out hateful, hateful vitriol directed at them personally, day in and day out.  Yeah, I'd say it was reasonable.

I just hate this idea that creators are obligated to engage with "fans" in the modern social media age.  They owe us nothing!

And we owe them nothing.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'll bet good money it wouldn't be.

Concluding chapters don't have a good track record, and for very understandable reasons; and that will hold all the more true if Abrams would feel compelled to provide a strong conclusion not just for this trilogy, but the entire nonet.

I have issues with both entries in the sequel trilogy (none of which  being attributed to any alledged agenda but rather to storytelling), but at the end of the day I like them both fine. I'll probably "like" IX, as well, but I'm really not expecting it to be the best.

If Episode 9 isn't the best, then the only reason for this trilogy to exist was for Kennedy to 'move on' sooner than later... and the John Williams scores, of course.

4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Rey comes closer to this standard in TLJ than in TFA.  To me, she became too powerful in the Force too soon.  She needed to grow as person before she could fully embrace and use  the power granted to her.  The jump jars me.  But, I don't blame agenda.  I just think storytelling has become something of a rare art.  Too much instant gratification.             

Disney can afford to hire the best screenwriters in the world for these movies. But they don't do it. They use a few inside people that will play along: an agenda in which telling the most intriguing, well-written story (that would thoroughly satisfy most people) is not top priority.

49 minutes ago, TGP said:

If you ask me somebody who refers to themselves as intelligent automatically discredits whatever they're saying as the spewings of a twat.

Your comments here have been mostly unconstructive, so you should probably leave. Regardless, name-calling will get you nowhere with me. I'll be ignoring you, as well.

2 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I have a thing for Israeli actresses like Gal Gadot, Natalie Portman, Ayelet Zurer, Mili Avital, etc.

I have a thing for actresses. And models. And girls that aren't actresses or models.

I like people of the female persuasion, generally. 

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I have a thing for actresses. And models. And girls that aren't actresses or models.

I like people of the female persuasion, generally. 

You need somebody down to earth. Somebody with some integrity. Somebody with... red hair... fuII, pouting Iips... a white bIouse, green jacket... and a name tag.

12 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Your comments here have been mostly unconstructive, so you should probably leave. Regardless, name-calling will get you nowhere with me. I'll be ignoring you, as well.

Probably leave?  And go where?  And what makes you think I'm trying to get anywhere with you?  You think the ignore button is your ally.  You merely adopted the ignore button.  I was born in it, molded by it.  I didn't see stupid posts until I was already a man and by then they were nothing to me but BLINDING!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The last one is my favorite and I think best captures my amusement at what an immense idiot you've turned out to be.

10 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Regardless, name-calling will get you nowhere with me. I'll be ignoring you, as well.

Everyone needs to call out Kitten so he will ignore us all and we will be free of his gibberish

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Probably leave?  And go where?  And what makes you think I'm trying to get anywhere with you?  IGNORED!

The last one is my favorite and I think best captures my laughter at what an immense idiot you've turned out to be.

I don't care where you go. This a "Star Wars Disenchantment" topic. What are you doing beside name-calling? Please tell me how I'm an "idiot".

I'm not doing anything besides name calling, it's entertaining.  What are you doing besides arguing endlessly, I mean fucking ENDLESSLY with total strangers over bullshit that you're almost certainly wrong about, with no chance of minds being changed, on a subject that probably couldn't be further from relevant or useful to the human endeavor?  You tell me why you're not an idiot mate.  Besides, weren't you gonna ignore me?  Just go for it if I'm bothering you.  It'll make you feel powerful.  By the way periods and other punctuation go inside quotation marks.  

Let's turn Mattris into a flea. A harmless little flea. And then I’ll put that flea in a box, and then I’ll put that box inside of another box, and then I’ll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives…I’ll smash it with a hammer! 

Punctuation inside/outside quotation marks is debatable. But I know for a fact that your complex sentence including "it's entertaining" should have had a semi-colon preceding it. Alternatively, it could have been its own sentence.

My purpose for being part of this "Star Wars Disenchantment" topic is to explaining my opinions and points of view. What are you doing? Your words: "not doing anything besides name calling." You tell me why you're not an idiot, mate.

3 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Punctuation inside/outside quotation marks is debatable. But I know for a fact that, a complex sentence, "it's entertaining" should have had a semi-colon preceding it. Alternatively, it could have been its own sentence.

This attempt at correcting me does not itself make sense.  SAD.  Plus, there is such a thing as conversational writing style which reflects pauses or lack thereof, speed and emphasis, etcetera.  Proper punctuation style which isn't conveyed verbally, like quotation punctuation, isn't really covered by that.

3 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I'm explaining my point of view and opinions in a "Star Wars Disenchantment" topic. What are you doing? Your words: "not doing anything besides name calling." You tell me why you're not an idiot, mate.

No, you see, that was the point that you're too dense to have gotten apparently.  I'm dicking around with little mental expenditure, and it's amusing.  You're wasting your life arguing about the politics of kids movies.  Clearer?

Just now, Mattris said:

You cannot "guarantee" that Han Solo being killed in TFA wasn't a factor. I think it was poor timing to release a boy-ish Han Solo movie so soon.

And you wonder why people call you manbabies. It's been 3 years to the death of a fictional character, move the fuck on.

I'd be interested to know who @Mattris is...or, rather, was. Apparently, he/she joined in 2002, which means that they have (presumably) made many posts, and is well known to JWfan. Why did they change their name/avatar?

What do they have to hide? Just wondering.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

And you wonder why people call you manbabies. It's been 3 years to the death of a fictional character, move the fuck on.

I followed this line of quoting hoping that you'd be exaggerating, but no, apparently people are in shock about Han Solo's death (MURDER!).

Mattris is a zombie.

The real Mattris was a sweet, darling gentlemen who tragically died in a car accident. His family couldn't accept the loss, so they had him buried at Pet Semetary.

But he...came back wrong. 

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

I followed this line of quoting hoping that you'd be exaggerating, but no, apparently people are in shock about Han Solo's death (MURDER!).

I knew Han was going to die the second they announced Harrison Ford was returning.

I reckon we all feel ashamed and in need of a shower after even looking at this thread.  If we're lucky Jay will toss it in the incinerator.

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Mattris is a zombie.

The real Mattris was a sweet, darling gentlemen who tragically died in a car accident. His family couldn't accept the loss, so they had him buried at Pet Semetary.

But he...came back wrong. 

Aka Luke Bonewalker

Zombie-Luke-Skywalker.jpg

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

I reckon we all feel ashamed and in need of a shower after even looking at this thread.  If we're lucky Jay will toss it in the incinerator.

It beats clicking on the Jurassic threads. I'm doing a swell job avoiding that so far!